The Student Room Group

Accounting

Hello everyone,

I'm currently doing BTEC Business level 3(first year) in college but I want to go to university next year and not want to do second year of business because I already have wasted my 1 year due to low grades. I decided to do AAT Accounting level 3 But I want to know will that give me enough UCAS point or will I be accepted into university? Should I do diploma or advanced diploma in accounting? I'm really confused and any help and advice would be great and appreciated.

Thank you
Original post by kbsimran
Hello everyone,

I'm currently doing BTEC Business level 3(first year) in college but I want to go to university next year and not want to do second year of business because I already have wasted my 1 year due to low grades. I decided to do AAT Accounting level 3 But I want to know will that give me enough UCAS point or will I be accepted into university? Should I do diploma or advanced diploma in accounting? I'm really confused and any help and advice would be great and appreciated.

Thank you

AAT Level 3 would be considered the equivalent of 1 A Level. I am not sure what sort of diploma your BTEC is in.

Whether you would be accepted into uni would depend on what course you're applying for and at which uni. Not all unis would accept AAT as a substitute, and not all unis would accept BTEC.

For the majority of unis and courses, BTEC Extended Diploma is adequate if you get the grades and have it in a subject suitable for the degree.

If you want to do a degree in a business subject, then I have a list of things I think you should need to consider. However, most business degrees from most unis would accept BTECs alone.
If you want to become an accountant, I don't see much point in doing a degree in accounting when you have AAT Level 3 (or a BTEC Extended Diploma for that matter).
Original post by kbsimran
Hello everyone,

Thank you

The answer to your core question can be answered by the UCAS Tariff Calculator. It claims:
AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting gets you 32 (Pass), 48 (Merit) or 56 (Distinction) UCAS points.
AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting gets you 40 (Pass), 48 (Merit) or 56 (Distinction) UCAS points.

I find that a little odd, frankly, that the Advanced Diploma get you no more points than the Diploma for at Merit and Distinction. However, the AAT web site implies that the AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting (available for first teaching since 1 September 2022) has effectively replaced the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting Level 3 (available for first teaching since 1 September 2016). I might have misunderstood this, and @MindMax2000 may know more about this than I.

As to, "will that give me enough UCAS point or will I be accepted into university" there will be some universities which will accept you at 56 UCAS points. To put it into context, that's the equivalent in A level terms of D E E.

For example:
You might manage to get into Business (with a Foundation Year) at Middlesex University, who want "56-64 UCAS Tariff Points". (details)
Coventry University has Accountancy BSC (Hons) with a foundation year and Accounting and Finance BSc (Hons) with a foundation year both available through clearing right now at 32 UCAS points. (details)

Do you know what sort of degree were you hoping to do? Business? Accounting? Something else?

Do note that many universities / courses mandate GCSE grades too (especially Maths and English Language).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending