The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
If you're really new to programming you should maybe look at the 'For Dummies' series. Those generic 'C++ Programming' books usually expect you to have a knowledge of programming to begin with and aren't always good for absolute beginners.
Reply 3
thanks for the links and tips :smile:
Reply 4
C++ for dummies simple CANNOT lay it out any easier! i dont tend to use it any more as the explanations are too long and not concise enough if you know what your doing, but that should be perfect for you. also avoid the 7in1 book as its just far to thick and most of the parts are useless.
Reply 5
i had the C++ for dummies back when i was a noob, an easy and sometimes interesting read.
Reply 6
How long does it take to become 'good' at C++? i.e. to confidently be able ot write stuff without needing to constantly resort to books/websites etc?
Reply 7
-G-a-v-
How long does it take to become 'good' at C++? i.e. to confidently be able ot write stuff without needing to constantly resort to books/websites etc?

That depends on how often you practice. It's a very complex language, especially when you take things like STL and Boost into consideration. You could spend years and still not know every single thing.

In order for that question to be answered, you need to clarify your meaning of "good" and "stuff".
Reply 8
For programming language books I find it good to go to a good bookshop like Borders (or Waterstones), sit down by the right section and flick through the books.
You just need to look at how 1 or 2 of their chapters/lessons are laid out and you will know what you like.
Reply 9
One book that has greatly helped me in my C++ studies is-

"Computing for Scientists" (R.J.Barlow and A.R.Barnett, Wiley)
Reply 10
sarbruis
That depends on how often you practice. It's a very complex language, especially when you take things like STL and Boost into consideration. You could spend years and still not know every single thing.

In order for that question to be answered, you need to clarify your meaning of "good" and "stuff".

OK well from what I can gather, I have to do some programming in my 2nd year of Uni...so no rush yet :p: but I thought it might be nice to get ahead of the game. By 'good' I meant being able to confidently write programs without having to keep looking things up every 2 minutes i.e. have a pretty good knowledge of C++ but obviously not know everything. and 'stuff' would probably best refer to programs of reasonable complexity. Obviously I'm only just thinking about getting started so I don't really know what 'reasonable complexity' is best defined as.
Reply 11
The book I used to learn C++ was the one by Sams publishing. The 'learn in 28 days one'.

Although i've moved to C# now, I hate C++ with a passion! *******s to NULL pointers!
Pointers are useful. I used to hate them but I am starting to warm to them.
Reply 13
-G-a-v-
By 'good' I meant being able to confidently write programs without having to keep looking things up every 2 minutes i.e. have a pretty good knowledge of C++ but obviously not know everything. and 'stuff' would probably best refer to programs of reasonable complexity. Obviously I'm only just thinking about getting started so I don't really know what 'reasonable complexity' is best defined as.

not that long, once you learn the basic methods (switch, if's, for's etc) you just seem to start implementing them without even knowing it. it really only takes a short while to be competent in making a simple program, and from there its just however bright you are really at imagining the best solution to a given problem and then writing it all out. it can be extremely daunting at first but it WILL come naturally,
Reply 14
Dac_10
not that long, once you learn the basic methods (switch, if's, for's etc) you just seem to start implementing them without even knowing it. it really only takes a short while to be competent in making a simple program, and from there its just however bright you are really at imagining the best solution to a given problem and then writing it all out. it can be extremely daunting at first but it WILL come naturally,

Wow, that's very well said.

Put it this way, if you leave your games console for 2 hours a night and practice some C++, you'll be the at the same level as you are when your in fall of man killing khimera haha :wink:
Reply 15
With the basics it isnt be too hard to learn syntax .

The syntax for the following are for me the hardest to remember:

operator overloading(different syntax depending on what operator)
type casting(difficult to remember which cast does what)
function pointers.(just weird)
templates.

But these syntax errors are easy, what you got to watch out for are those blasted character arrays heres an example youl probably get caught out with one day.

char letterA[15];
for(int i =0;i<=15;i++)
myname = 'A';

Looks acceptible, untill you run it then your pc bursts into flames without warning,hooray for c++.
Reply 16
INTit

But these syntax errors are easy, what you got to watch out for are those blasted character arrays heres an example youl probably get caught out with one day.

char letterA[15];
for(int i =0;i<=15;i++)
myname = 'A';

Looks acceptible, untill you run it then your pc bursts into flames without warning,hooray for c++.

i love how you give a post on syntax and then post some absolute crap lol btw character arrays (strings) are peasy.

int i;
char myname[15];

for(i=0; i<=15; i++)
{
myname = 'A';
}

cout << myname << endl;

shoudl give "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Reply 17
Arrays are 0 indexed so myname[15]='A' in the loop would of caused a buffer overflow, "computer blowing up" was obviously an exageration.

Character arrays are a huge problem for beginners thats why theres so much fuss over these new languages with bounds checking, i mean your post just proved my point.

Seriously why did you make such an offencive post especially when you dont know what your talking about.
Reply 18
Dac_10
i love how you give a post on syntax and then post some absolute crap lol btw character arrays (strings) are peasy.

int i;
char myname[15];

for(i=0; i<=15; i++)
{
myname = 'A';
}

cout << myname << endl;

shoudl give "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Arrays are 0 indexed so myname[15]='A' in the loop would of caused a buffer overflow, "computer blowing up" was obviously an exageration.

Character arrays are a huge problem for beginners thats why theres so much fuss over these new languages with bounds checking, i mean your post just proved my point.

Seriously why did you make such an offencive post especially when you dont know what your talking about.
Reply 19
INTit

Doesn't it depend on what's at that memory location? I don't think it's definitely going to crash at run-time. Unless it's inaccessible memory, it's just going to overwrite whatever was there. (I'm 99.99% sure this is true with C, and I'm assuming the same thing will happen with C++ code.)

Latest

Trending

Trending