The Student Room Group

Starting German GCSE in Year 10 (tips?)

I have wanted to take German for an ALevel, however the only place near me that offers it requires a grade 6. My school doesn't offer German and are letting me take it as an extra subject, where I self teach myself.

Does anyone have any advice on:
-the most efficient way of memorising vocabulary (if flashcards, what is the best way to use them?, i.e. spaced repetition, putting all flashcards into one pile or have separate piles for each section, ect.)
-how i can get a grade 6 at minimum
-the best way to learn everything in under a year
-best apps/websites to use
-just general tips

Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by meike!!
I have wanted to take German for an ALevel, however the only place near me that offers it requires a grade 6. My school doesn't offer German and are letting me take it as an extra subject, where I self teach myself.

-the most efficient way of memorising vocabulary (if flashcards, what is the best way to use them?, i.e. spaced repetition, putting all flashcards into one pile or have separate piles for each section, ect.)
-just general tips

I am starting italian gcse, so I can't relate fully to you.
1) Use quizlet to summarise vocab and test yourself, but don't make a flashcard for every word in the language, because some words might be in your head already so no need to go through that more
2) Start looking at the language and learning a bit of it - it helps trust me. I started italian on duolingo for example and have been doing it for about a year and a half and it helps because you know extra vocab, you are introduced to the sentence structures and you might have already covered certain topics, so you're ahead!
3) Try to stretch yourself more - like watch a movie or series in german with subtitles on or buy a german book or look at german videos online, so you bring your language learning outside of the classroom
I hope that helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by meike!!

-just general tips

Well, I started German A Level from scratch without a GCSE.

Here is my advice:

Be familiar with THE GRAMMAR !

- word order
-Time, manner, place
- different prepositions (send verb to end or not)
BBC Bitesize have very good grammar pages, just use them

- cases system
- Nominativ - Subject
- Akkusativ - Direct Object
- Dativ - Indirect Object
understand that words get a different ending based on the different "role" in the sentence and it's gender, there is tables for this...
German with Laura is very good at explaining it and the table on her website is just 👌🏻

- Get a penpal as soon as possible.

- Pick a German show and watch it with subtitles in both English and German (DRUCK, Turkish für Anfänger, Die Kaiserin...)
If it is on youtube/netflix, you can download the Language Reactor extension which will help you have subtitles in both languages.

- Start memorising GCSE vocab using Memrise/Quizlet/Anki

- Do all the practice papers you can.

- Practice with ppl that can speak german. If you do not know any, download Tandem or Hello Talki.

- Learn to count !

- Use the Deutsche Welle Program, Nicos Weg : https://learngerman.dw.com/en/nicos-weg/c-36519789

Just DM me if you are stuck :smile:
I REALLY recommend Quizlet as others have been saying. The exam board (at least AQA) have in recent years changed the specification so that only vocabulary in the syllabus can come up in the exam, and so if you have learned all of the vocabulary in the syllabus you will be able to understand at least most if not all of the words that come up in questions for all papers as well as for the translations, reading and listening papers. The good thing about quizlet is that if you have your phone on you you can use it on the bus, in tutor times, on the toilet (🤣) etc. And you don’t have to spend a while making Flashcards etc as they are already there. When learning words it is also really useful to try to remember the gender with it (der, die or das) as it is hard to remember after having learned the word!

I use Duolingo too. I don’t recommend it as a sole revision source for German as it teaches vocabulary slowly however I think it is good for long term knowledge of sentence structure, as well as getting used to translating and listening to German, listening usually being the hardest skill for most people (at least in my class cohort)! It’s also quite fun and doesn’t feel like work in my experience as you have to keep the streak.

p.s. I am also taking German A Level next year as I am in Year 11 now so I would love to help you with any grammar confusion or just conversing in German if that helps you! I have a German friend set up by the school and I find it has really improved my comprehension etc. I love the German language so I wish you all the best of luck! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest