The Student Room Group

Gcse textbooks

Hello,I am currently in year 10 and i am trying to fin the best textbooks to get a 8 or 9 .What are the best textbooks for the following subjects:smile:
Triple-chemistry, biology,physics (have the aqa ones but hate them)
maths
english lang and lit
dt
spanish
computer science
Economics
Would love some advice
Reply 1
Original post by oxford27
Hello,I am currently in year 10 and i am trying to fin the best textbooks to get a 8 or 9 .What are the best textbooks for the following subjects:smile:
maths
english lang and lit
dt
spanish
computer science
Economics
Would love some advice

I found the CGP books useful for English Lang and Lit, though I mostly used YouTube channels such as Mr Bruff. I’m not sure about your exam board, but for maths I used the revise Edexel 9-1 textbook and guidebook, as well as Corbett maths flashcards.
Reply 2
Original post by waffelton
I found the CGP books useful for English Lang and Lit, though I mostly used YouTube channels such as Mr Bruff. I’m not sure about your exam board, but for maths I used the revise Edexel 9-1 textbook and guidebook, as well as Corbett maths flashcards.

Thankyou
Reply 3
maths
english lang and lit
dt
spanish
computer science
Economics
Would love some advice

I wouldn’t focus on getting textbooks for science because some YouTube channels (cognito and free science lessons) cover everything you need to know! Those videos + the spec and exam practise is all you really need for science as long as somehow synthesise all the information you need to know.

For English language practise helps plus a clear plan of how to answer every single question!

For English literature, I recommend Mr Bruff videos and Miss Whelan’s videos! https://open.substack.com/pub/thelamenewsletter/p/how-i-achieved-full-marks-160160?r=1tmrcj&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post (check this out!)

For Spanish the revision guide that helped massively was the Edexcel one (it has a bird on the front cover) and more importantly the practise book with it that has loads and loads of questions. Make sure you keep a track of every new word/phrase you come across and learn it! I did this and at least 20 of the new words I’d come across came up in my GCSE reading and listening papers!

For maths, make sure you know a topic and how to do questions like it. Use corbettmaths videos to learn content. Then use ExamQ to search up past questions on that topic and try those or you could go straight to past papers. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
maths
english lang and lit
dt
spanish
computer science
Economics
Would love some advice

going to be so honest with you there are NO good comp sci text books i took it for GCSEs and now A levels never seen a good textbook, never met a good teacher in my life, my advise would be gather the relevant resources for your exam board (i did OCR) i used PG Online textbook (very good at simplifying over complicated concepts but doesn’t tell you the full thing), CGPs textbooks (a lot of in detail information but not necessarily relevant) PMT notes (sticks to the spec always tells you relevant information sometimes sections are missing though), quizlet (loads of good sets!) and ofc and ALWAYS the specification, it will tell you exactly what you need to know this is how u know if you are learning the right thing or you don’t need to know that, all my notes for every subject are based on the specification! (except for subjects like english ofc) i got a grade 9 in computing in the end 🙂 i hope that helps!!!

EDIT - Craig and Dave videos are also very good but kinda boring :wink:, i found their videos very content heavy to take in at once! but thats just my opinion !!!!!!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by waffelton

Yes I found CGP books useful as well, their workbooks are also helpful for science, though I did OCR
Reply 6
Original post by eenie_49
going to be so honest with you there are NO good comp sci text books i took it for GCSEs and now A levels never seen a good textbook, never met a good teacher in my life, my advise would be gather the relevant resources for your exam board (i did OCR) i used PG Online textbook (very good at simplifying over complicated concepts but doesn’t tell you the full thing), CGPs textbooks (a lot of in detail information but not necessarily relevant) PMT notes (sticks to the spec always tells you relevant information sometimes sections are missing though), quizlet (loads of good sets!) and ofc and ALWAYS the specification, it will tell you exactly what you need to know this is how u know if you are learning the right thing or you don’t need to know that, all my notes for every subject are based on the specification! (except for subjects like english ofc) i got a grade 9 in computing in the end 🙂 i hope that helps!!!

EDIT - Craig and Dave videos are also very good but kinda boring :wink:, i found their videos very content heavy to take in at once! but thats just my opinion !!!!!!

For computer science , i am absolutely hating it at the moment.What would you say are the best things to stay on top of it and get a 9.Are there any courses you would reccomend maybe?Thanks
Reply 7
For computer science , i am absolutely hating it at the moment.What would you say are the best things to stay on top of it and get a 9.Are there any courses you would reccomend maybe?Thanks

if your looking for video courses that’s craig and dave, they have a channel on youtube take a look! they do videos for Edexcel, OCR, AQA and even iGCSEs like i said they go through everything in detail but it wasn’t my favourite way of learning the content i always used textbooks (was actually never taught the content because of bad teachers) what part are you struggling more? programming or theory?

if it’s theory then i suggest going through the content yourself, what i do is i don’t follow on with my teacher in lessons instead, while my teacher is waffling on about the topic i teach it to myself, and usually finish and understand the topic before they’re done with the first section!! try to keep up with the class and your teacher but at your own pace. also do past paper questions sounds like a lot of effort but it rlly pays off 😉

also for programming it completely depends on how u feeling abt it! if you understand nothing start with w3schools learn the basics and then find courses on youtube, i don’t always recommend buying courses unless you know it’s good, i bought a course on udemy for c# but i learnt nothing from them! in fact i was more confused! but for i did a beginners python course that was pretty good!

if you need any other computing advise u can pm me if u want! hope that helps!
I have CGP books and some workbooks for all my subjects as well as a couple of Oxford revision books someone gave me.
I have a cgp python book which is useful but not one for the non programming side. I just make notes from my classes etc.
Oh and for English, I find the most useful thing other than revision guides and notes is actually talking about the books and poems with someone. Going over themes etc and really trying to get a better understanding. I also ‘teach’ them to my parents to consolidate my knowledge on them.
Reply 10
Original post by eenie_49

I am generally okay with the theory side of computer science it is just the coding ie. python .What would you say could help with the coding side of things . Is there a course? a website?

Quick Reply

Latest