The Student Room Group

Starting IB in January. Worried about my subject selection. (BIO MAJOR QUESTIONS)

I'm interested in taking a Biology/Zoology major, but I'm worried that Math Studies negated my HL Bio, rendering it useless as most require at least SL math. My other options include a major in Psychology, Anthropology, and Literature, or to pursue the arts in university. Admittedly my first choice would be to take either Biology or the arts, but do I have a chance at majoring in Biology anymore?
Original post by Siolus
I'm interested in taking a Biology/Zoology major, but I'm worried that Math Studies negated my HL Bio, rendering it useless as most require at least SL math. My other options include a major in Psychology, Anthropology, and Literature, or to pursue the arts in university. Admittedly my first choice would be to take either Biology or the arts, but do I have a chance at majoring in Biology anymore?

Hi there! I'm on my second year of IB and I've received offers for Zoology from Bristol and Sheffield. I also have interviews with Manchester and Leeds.:smile: I'm delighted that you're interested in Zoology too!

Personally, I chose SL Maths despite not being very good at Maths precisely because I didn't want to limit myself too much. Currently, I spend around 5 hours (outside lesson time) a week revising Maths, but I'm still only managing a 6 at most.

With hard work, a 5 or 6 should be manageable but you need to consider if it's worth it to devote so much time to one single subject. Right now, I barely have time for other subjects.:frown:

Look, I don't even study chemistry AT ALL. I'm still getting offers for Zoology and I doubt Maths is as relevant to Biology/Zoology as Chemistry.:redface:

Look at the requirements for Biology/Zoology at different unis. In my case, I've had to avoid unis that require two hard sciences/maths at HL. For example, Imperial.

Instead, I went for unis that accept Biology and Geography at HL. For example, Bristol. As long as you have Biology and another hard science or secondary science subject at HL, you will meet the minimum requirements. But unfortunately, someone doing SL or HL Maths will have an advatage over you. Just like how everyone who's doing chemistry will have an advatage over me, but I'm still getting offers from great unis.:smile:

Good luck with your decision!
Original post by JessicaApple
Hi there! I'm on my second year of IB and I've received offers for Zoology from Bristol and Sheffield. I also have interviews with Manchester and Leeds.:smile: I'm delighted that you're interested in Zoology too!

Personally, I chose SL Maths despite not being very good at Maths precisely because I didn't want to limit myself too much. Currently, I spend around 5 hours (outside lesson time) a week revising Maths, but I'm still only managing a 6 at most.

With hard work, a 5 or 6 should be manageable but you need to consider if it's worth it to devote so much time to one single subject. Right now, I barely have time for other subjects.:frown:

Look, I don't even study chemistry AT ALL. I'm still getting offers for Zoology and I doubt Maths is as relevant to Biology/Zoology as Chemistry.:redface:

Look at the requirements for Biology/Zoology at different unis. In my case, I've had to avoid unis that require two hard sciences/maths at HL. For example, Imperial.

Instead, I went for unis that accept Biology and Geography at HL. For example, Bristol. As long as you have Biology and another hard science or secondary science subject at HL, you will meet the minimum requirements. But unfortunately, someone doing SL or HL Maths will have an advatage over you. Just like how everyone who's doing chemistry will have an advatage over me, but I'm still getting offers from great unis.:smile:

Jessica, you have a 42-43 IB lool I think you'll have an advantage over someone like me who is double science but has a lower overall/HLs compared to you. Lool :smile:

Hi OP I am also a second year IB student.

OP, if you are interested in Biology and Anthropology (one of your other choices for a major) may I suggest looking into the course Human Sciences (Oxford, Exeter, UCL) :smile: (I am applying for Human Sciences, if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them :tongue:)

In terms of Maths SL vs. Maths Studies SL, yes you are right, I would look at entry requirements for specific unis, because there are some unis that do not accept Math Studies as an acceptable math subject for sciences (from what I heard this is mostly about unis outside the UK but just make sure :smile:) you will be going to great institution regardless :smile:

Good luck with your applications :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wolfmoon88
Jessica, you have a 42-43 IB lool I think you'll have an advantage over someone like me who is double science but has a lower overall/HLs compared to you. Lool :smile:

OP, if you are interested in Biology and Anthropology (one of your other choices for a major) may I suggest looking into the course Human Sciences (Oxford, Exeter, UCL) :smile: (I am applying for Human Sciences, if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them :tongue:)

In terms of Maths SL vs. Maths Studies SL, yes you are right, I would look at entry requirements for specific unis, because there are some unis that do not accept Math Studies as an acceptable math subject for sciences (from what I heard this is mostly about unis outside the UK but just make sure :smile:) you will be going to great institution regardless :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oi look at this Human Sciences applicant trying to steal a potential Zoology applicant hahaha jkjk:tongue: OP definitely go for what you enjoy the most!

By the way, thanks for the kind words but I doubt I have any advantage whatsoever, seeing I've been rejected by Oxford already...:frown:
The best reason I can think of is my lack of chemistry.
Oi look at this Human Sciences applicant trying to steal a potential Zoology applicant hahaha jkjk:tongue: OP definitely go for what you enjoy the most!

By the way, thanks for the kind words but I doubt I have any advantage whatsoever, seeing I've been rejected by Oxford already...:frown:

:tongue: just giving OP more choices because OP seems to have interests in both the arts and sciences :smile: (totally trying to steal an applicant :tongue: but srsly both degrees are good options :smile:)

:console: you'll know when feedback comes in January? Perhaps it is the Chemistry. Honestly, an admissions test might have worked in your favour (because there is going to be admissions test next year?) Nobody knows what Oxford thinks... and at this point you have more offers and interviews than me so I wouldn't be too sure about the pack of an advantage :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:tongue: just giving OP more choices because OP seems to have interests in both the arts and sciences :smile: (totally trying to steal an applicant :tongue: but srsly both degrees are good options :smile:)

:console: you'll know when feedback comes in January? Perhaps it is the Chemistry. Honestly, an admissions test might have worked in your favour (because there is going to be admissions test next year?) Nobody knows what Oxford thinks... and at this point you have more offers and interviews than me so I wouldn't be too sure about the pack of an advantage :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yessss I'm now frustrated that there wasn't an admissions test because I feel as if I haven't been given a chance.:frown: What originally seemed like a blessing/convenience turned out to be a curse...(a bit overly dramatic, I know haha)
Yessss I'm now frustrated that there wasn't an admissions test because I feel as if I haven't been given a chance.:frown: What originally seemed like a blessing/convenience turned out to be a curse...(a bit overly dramatic, I know haha)

Meh I would've been more dramatic if I got rejected (Les Mis- I dreamed a dream last verse dramatic...)

Yeah :frown: but we won't know until January... until then it is all speculative...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

I've already submitted my subject selection though, it's more of just a nagging worry :frown:
I'm absolutely horrible at maths and no amount of tuition could save me from scoring 30% at most, which is really sad but trust me, i try!
I think it's important to mention that my subject combi is HL Language & Literature, Biology, and Visual Arts (I'm an arts student), and I take SL Chinese, Math Studies, and Anthropology. Therefore I do not have another HL in a science :^(
Thank you for your advice btw!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually looked at the Human Sciences course description and that does fit my interests quite well!! Thank you for sharing it with me, I would've been none the wiser :redface:
Thank you so much for your help!! I've been so worried that Math Studies would make me come off as a "dumb" or incompetent student and it was really reassuring to hear this from you!! I'll probably PM you soon about Human Sciences :biggrin:

That's such a great IB score!! I hope I do as well as you :')
I hope you get consolation soon!!!
Original post by Siolus
I've already submitted my subject selection though, it's more of just a nagging worry :frown:
I'm absolutely horrible at maths and no amount of tuition could save me from scoring 30% at most, which is really sad but trust me, i try!
I think it's important to mention that my subject combi is HL Language & Literature, Biology, and Visual Arts (I'm an arts student), and I take SL Chinese, Math Studies, and Anthropology. Therefore I do not have another HL in a science :^(

I actually looked at the Human Sciences course description and that does fit my interests quite well!! Thank you for sharing it with me, I would've been none the wiser :redface:
Thank you so much for your help!! I've been so worried that Math Studies would make me come off as a "dumb" or incompetent student and it was really reassuring to hear this from you!! I'll probably PM you soon about Human Sciences :biggrin:

That's such a great IB score!! I hope I do as well as you :':wink:

Aw sorry I didn't realise you've already chosen your subjects! If you're really keen on Biology/Zoology, there are definitely unis that accept only Biology. You'd just have to do a bit of research.:smile:

Technically speaking, even Oxford only requires Biology but I doubt that is the case in practice.:colonhash:

If you find Human Sciences interesting, maybe give that a go? By the way, it's so cool that your school offers archaeology!!!
Original post by Siolus

That's such a great IB score!! I hope I do as well as you :':wink:

Your subject combination is almost perfect for Human Sciences :smile: No problem I am glad to help! (like Jessica said I am clearly trying to allow people to know that Human Sciences as a course is an option that many people don't know about and never thought about before) Like Oxford said in their subject video, people from arts backgrounds have successfully taken the Human Sciences course. Although there is a statistics module to worry about, maths is not something that needs to be worried about which is not the same for most science courses. I welcome any PMs :smile: Nah some of the smartest people I know are taking Maths Studies (one guy predicted 776 HL with two 7s in English Lit A and History) (although there is a stigma in terms of taking Maths Studies in Asia), they are just more superior in Arts/Humanities courses.

Since you are doing Chinese, are you from somewhere in Asia (because Jessica and I are as well)

I would love it if my school offers anthropology as a course :smile: sadly they don't so I took psychology instead :tongue:
Reply 10
Your subject combination is almost perfect for Human Sciences :smile: No problem I am glad to help! (like Jessica said I am clearly trying to allow people to know that Human Sciences as a course is an option that many people don't know about and never thought about before) Like Oxford said in their subject video, people from arts backgrounds have successfully taken the Human Sciences course. Although there is a statistics module to worry about, maths is not something that needs to be worried about which is not the same for most science courses. I welcome any PMs :smile: Nah some of the smartest people I know are taking Maths Studies (one guy predicted 776 HL with two 7s in English Lit A and History) (although there is a stigma in terms of taking Maths Studies in Asia), they are just more superior in Arts/Humanities courses.

Since you are doing Chinese, are you from somewhere in Asia (because Jessica and I are as well)

I would love it if my school offers anthropology as a course :smile: sadly they don't so I took psychology instead :tongue:

I'm in Singapore! :^)
You got to take psychology at IB? :0
Original post by Siolus

Yeah I got to take psychology at IB. Got a 6 in the SL exam last year.

Cool, Singapore is fun :smile: just came back actually. I am from Taiwan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Siolus

Yay Singapore!
Now we've got people from Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong!
We all have amazing food haha:colondollar:
Yay Singapore!
Now we've got people from Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong!
We all have amazing food haha:colondollar:

Very true :tongue:

hainan chicken rice, satays and chili crab and toastbox (amazing!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending