The Student Room Group

Question for those who did 5A-levels...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VNN
It would only be one hour free a day anyway right?

I think you're missing the point. Why do you want to do 5? Because it looks better? Because I just want you to know, it doesn't. Universities only require 3, you're more likely to achieve higher grades if you do 3/4 anyway. If you want to do medicine, focus on getting amazing grades in 3 subjects (Physics and further maths are not necessary for medicine) and that will look so much better. Also, while you're sat there thinking 'well, i'll be able to cope. im smart, i can balance my time well' that is perfectly justifiable but it isn't about that at all. the demanding nature of a levels means you will almost definitely be sacrificing your free time (which can be spent revising, or spending time with people you love) for the sake of 2 a levels which are not necessary. That's my advice! Do 4 and leave some time for extra curricular around your subject (so important) work experience, fun or an EPQ.
Original post by Sternumator
I did 5. I did those except economics instead of biology. I found it fine. I actually had a larger workload in A2 because I didn't do further maths in my first year so had to do AS and A2 maths in my second year.

If you are good at maths, then maths and further maths don't take up much time. It's also half the battle with physics.

Hi I read your post and I am new here so I am wondering to ask if doing an alevel in second year normal? So do the college offer you to take an alevel (like you do further maths AS and A2) in second year? Or do you have to ask to do it.

When applying to uni do you mention you are doing another alevel in second year?

Sorry for barrage of questions, but I never heard of second year a levels before. thanks ~
Original post by Querentino
Hi I read your post and I am new here so I am wondering to ask if doing an alevel in second year normal? So do the college offer you to take an alevel (like you do further maths AS and A2) in second year? Or do you have to ask to do it.

When applying to uni do you mention you are doing another alevel in second year?

Sorry for barrage of questions, but I never heard of second year a levels before. thanks ~

How it worked in my college was those who chose further maths from the start did AS and A2 maths in year 1 then AS and A2 further maths in year 2.

Those who chose just maths did AS maths in year 1. We then had the option to take up FM to AS in our second year so year 2 would be A2 maths and AS FM. I think that is fairly common.

I just said to my maths teachers that I might as well finish it off and do A2 in my final year as well. I don't know of anyone else who did that but because I scored so high in AS maths, they let me do it. Although, I had to self study a couple of modules because of timetabling issues.

Obviously, it is something to talk to your maths department about but most will probably say they don't offer what I did. Some departments are more flexible than others to individual circumstances but if you want to do FM, probably best to pick it from the start.

I put that I was doing FM AS on my UCAS and was offered places conditional on that grade. However, I hadn't decided to do the full A Level when I sent my form off so that wasn't on there.

Quick Reply

Latest