The Student Room Group

Can someone help me with this maths question - A-level

This is probably very easy , but my mind is blank! Can someone help me with part A.
Reply 1
image.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by audreygal
image.jpg

What book is this question from?
Edexcel AS Core mathematics ...
the sector area is 1/2r2{2Θ}

the edge of the square is 2{rsinΘ} ....

edited ^^^
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rashina
What book is this question from?
Edexcel AS Core mathematics ...

Yeah I think so
Original post by the bear
the sector area is 1.2r2{2Θ}

the edge of the square is 2{rsinΘ} ....

Perhaps I'm not reading that correctly, but the sector area doesn't look right. It can be calculated as a proportion of the circle, i.e. 2θ2ππr2=θr2\frac{2\theta}{2\pi}\pi r^2 = \theta r^2
I agree that each side of the square is 2rsinθ2rsin\theta.

Calculate the area of the square and set it equal to the area of the sector.
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
Perhaps I'm not reading that correctly, but the sector area doesn't look right. It can be calculated as a proportion of the circle, i.e. 2θ2ππr2=θr2\frac{2\theta}{2\pi}\pi r^2 = \theta r^2

Thank you, yes that is right as I have just proved it.
Original post by RogerOxon

sorry... it was supposed to say 1/2, not 1.2

:ashamed:
image.jpg

Use the cosine rule first to work out CD and then the double-angle formula for cos(2-theta).

You should end up with 2r^2 - 2r^2 (1 - 2sin^theta). This is the area of ABCD and the question says this area is equal to the area of the sector, which is 1/2 r^2 2-theta

From here a bit of factorising and manipulation should give the identity you need.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Use the cosine rule first to work out CD and then the double-angle formula for cos(2-theta).

You should end up with 2r^2 - 2r^2 = (1 - 2sin^theta). This is the area of ABCD and the question says this area is equal to the area of the sector, which is 1/2 r^2 2-theta

From here a bit of factorising and manipulation should give the identity you need.

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't see this!
Thanks! I don't know why I didn't see this!

We didn't either, straight away (and we also wrote down the area incorrectly including a stray '=' sign and have corrected it)

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest