The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Photography with no past experience?

I am currently deciding whether photography is possible for me.
I didn't have the option to do photography at sixthform and I did art at GCSE and got a B grade. I didn't carry it on though.
As I do photography as a hobby, would I be able to apply for it this year?
I do not have a portfolio, but photography is something I'd love to do as a job in the future. How do I go about creating a portfolio, if needed?
Original post by Supposed
I didn't have the option to do photography at sixthform and I did art at GCSE and got a B grade. I didn't carry it on though.
I do not have a portfolio, but photography is something I'd love to do as a job in the future. How do I go about creating a portfolio, if needed?

Hey there,

It is possible but you would need a portfolio for when you apply. It's okay if you didn't do much of it at sixth form but if you have examples of the photography you carried out in your own time as a hobby, you would need to show this.

Here are some tips and guidance on the format and content of putting a good portfolio together.

I hope this helps! Would you be applying for 2018 entry? If so you'd still have time to come along to one of our Open Days next year where you'll be able to get more advice about your portfolio and speak to a photography tutor.

All the best!
Lydia
The BCU team
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Supposed

If you got good grades at sixth form then it doesn't matter what subject you studied, you can get onto any course at uni. If you haven't got a portfolio and want to start uni this September then it's best to use clearing as you aren't likely to have an interview. I used clearing for a textiles course to start uni in September 2016. A portfolio was required but I didn't have an interview as I applied through clearing. I didn't use UCAS either. Look at the uni website, clearing should have started by now. You will be asked to fill in a form online and submit it. Within a week or so you'll get a reply from the uni to fill in another form. When they get back to you again, it will be an offer. Or you can call the clearing number to apply.

I don't anything about photography portfolio's so if you really want to create one then have a look at the photography course page on the uni's website, there should be tips on there about portfolios but I don't think you will need one. You can call and ask them, the call numbers are on the website contact page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending