The Student Room Group

Art gcse sos

Hi, I'm going to finish art gcse next year but my grade looks pretty sad. I'm predicted a 9 but am currently at a 4. I've honestly given up and I don't know what to do. Can anyone send help please??
Original post by staristrying
Hi, I'm going to finish art gcse next year but my grade looks pretty sad. I'm predicted a 9 but am currently at a 4. I've honestly given up and I don't know what to do. Can anyone send help please??

Hello!

Try not to give up and really focus on building your portfolio if art is something you want to take forwards past GCSE. I would focus on quality over quantity so you would be able to discuss why you didn't achieve your predicted grade, you have evidence of a strong portfolio aleady.

Keep going, you've got this and try and treat September like a clean slate.

Good luck!

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Reply 2
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hello!

Try not to give up and really focus on building your portfolio if art is something you want to take forwards past GCSE. I would focus on quality over quantity so you would be able to discuss why you didn't achieve your predicted grade, you have evidence of a strong portfolio aleady.

Keep going, you've got this and try and treat September like a clean slate.

Good luck!

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠

Thank you, I'll try to keep my head up :biggrin:
Reply 3

Hallo, please don't give up, the best thing I would advise you to do is do projects that you would really enjoy doing and then link them towards your theme, usually, they like a variety of media, artists, and styles so experiment and record within your portfolio. what helped me was writing down all the artists I wanted to cover, a good website is this one it has artists and themes: https://theartyteacher.com/artists-themes/

For any annotations they like waffle but if you want to go in-depth look at precisely colour, setting, style, and artist, and explain what they mean in that artwork and why you or the artist had chosen to do this.

Fill up the page with lots of texture, annotations artwork, and anything! It goes a long way and can also create fun and if it links to your theme develop your book

your own work goes a long way although studies and copies are good, higher marks go to those who show they can derive their own ideas, photo shoots and contact sheets go a long way.

If you make any work you don't like keep it and write why you didn't like it and analyse what you tried doing. Taking pictures of your work in progress and planning is good.

Don't look to perfection if you are a perfectionist, even if its half complete but decent its enough, you can spend ages developing your art

Also if you still feel you don't have enough work, you can submit any sketchbooks you have done work in, one of my friends did this, and the other made a collage of old drawings. if you talk to your teacher you can submit books you've worked on in yr 9 if you consider them relevant or proud of

I would also say to communicate with your art teacher if you can for detailed advice, they can really help steer your work in the right direction and also give ideas. it's ok to be this level at this stage, I myself during covid was 7 weeks behind and caught up and got a grade 9, believe in yourself and enjoy the process :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by teallamp
Hallo, please don't give up, the best thing I would advise you to do is do projects that you would really enjoy doing and then link them towards your theme, usually, they like a variety of media, artists, and styles so experiment and record within your portfolio. what helped me was writing down all the artists I wanted to cover, a good website is this one it has artists and themes: https://theartyteacher.com/artists-themes/

For any annotations they like waffle but if you want to go in-depth look at precisely colour, setting, style, and artist, and explain what they mean in that artwork and why you or the artist had chosen to do this.

Fill up the page with lots of texture, annotations artwork, and anything! It goes a long way and can also create fun and if it links to your theme develop your book

your own work goes a long way although studies and copies are good, higher marks go to those who show they can derive their own ideas, photo shoots and contact sheets go a long way.

If you make any work you don't like keep it and write why you didn't like it and analyse what you tried doing. Taking pictures of your work in progress and planning is good.

Don't look to perfection if you are a perfectionist, even if its half complete but decent its enough, you can spend ages developing your art

Also if you still feel you don't have enough work, you can submit any sketchbooks you have done work in, one of my friends did this, and the other made a collage of old drawings. if you talk to your teacher you can submit books you've worked on in yr 9 if you consider them relevant or proud of

I would also say to communicate with your art teacher if you can for detailed advice, they can really help steer your work in the right direction and also give ideas. it's ok to be this level at this stage, I myself during covid was 7 weeks behind and caught up and got a grade 9, believe in yourself and enjoy the process :smile:

Thank you! This was actually very helpful. For creating your own images, how you you go about that? The theme I chose for component 1 was our world so I don't know how I'd go about that :')
Reply 5
Thank you! This was actually very helpful. For creating your own images, how you you go about that? The theme I chose for component 1 was our world so I don't know how I'd go about that :')

Hallo, for this, I would use photography, go to any location accessible, and take pictures, if you want to change colours or edit photo shop, or the free Photopea online you can use,3D modelling software could work, but also you can write prompts In Ai's like DALLE to get free references that can be generated, photography tho is good. You can also use tracing paper and overlays to get silhouettes, or for my project in A level, I made a collage and used that as a reference to a painting I made. Hopefully, that helps!!
Reply 6
Original post by teallamp
Hallo, for this, I would use photography, go to any location accessible, and take pictures, if you want to change colours or edit photo shop, or the free Photopea online you can use,3D modelling software could work, but also you can write prompts In Ai's like DALLE to get free references that can be generated, photography tho is good. You can also use tracing paper and overlays to get silhouettes, or for my project in A level, I made a collage and used that as a reference to a painting I made. Hopefully, that helps!!

Thank you the advice! This was really helpful, and now I'm kinda excited to keep on working on my project! I'll probably be able to take some photos before school starts again :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest