The Student Room Group

Are you offered accommodation as an apprentice?

so I'm interested in applying for a BBC apprenticeship in London where if I'm offered the place I'm given a London living allowance - to me, this implies that I could live in accommodation while completing the apprenticeship. What do you think?
I can commute to London reliably from home but I'm just curious. It's a two-year apprenticeship btw.
no it doesn't mean you're given an accommodation. you're not a full time student and on top of that you're not doing a degree apprenticeship. london living allowance just means the london living wage, above average basically.
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
no it doesn't mean you're given an accommodation. you're not a full time student and on top of that you're not doing a degree apprenticeship. london living allowance just means the london living wage, above average basically.

ok that clears it up a bit, thanks. do you think I'd still be able to move out on a living allowance though? I just don't see myself commuting for the whole two years and my parents sort of want me out because I've already dropped out of uni.. i don't even think journalism degree apprenticeships are a thing? I've looked but I haven't found any.
Original post by rebeccamay6890
ok that clears it up a bit, thanks. do you think I'd still be able to move out on a living allowance though? I just don't see myself commuting for the whole two years and my parents sort of want me out because I've already dropped out of uni.. i don't even think journalism degree apprenticeships are a thing? I've looked but I haven't found any.

Yes you can! There’s an apprenticeship gc and I know some ppl are considering renting in London (crazy pricy). But you can also look into private student accommodations which may accept apprentices, only down side is because we’re full time employees you’ll have to pay council tax : (

Journalism DA’s are in fact a thing!!! Check out Bloomberg, BBC, Channel 4 xx
Even if it’s not a degree apprenticeship, still amazing nonetheless as I’m sure you receive some type of qualification!
(edited 11 months ago)
Yes you can! There’s an apprenticeship gc and I know some ppl are considering renting in London (crazy pricy). But you can also look into private student accommodations which may accept apprentices, only down side is because we’re full time employees you’ll have to pay council tax : (

ah ok! but I'm not sure how much council tax we would be paying because were only apprentices and are therefore not on the highest of salaries - surely were below some sort of threshold and would only be paying a small amount?
you pay the same amount of tax and other compulsory fees as anyone on the same salary as you. as you earn a salary and they offer you extra to live in London you can probably afford it but if you can commute i'd do that to save some money for a bit.
(edited 11 months ago)
Journalism DA’s are in fact a thing!!! Check out Bloomberg, BBC, Channel 4 xx
Even if it’s not a degree apprenticeship, still amazing nonetheless as I’m sure you receive some type of qualification!

the one I'm aiming for is the BBC apprenticeship actually :smile: but I'm not sure if the one I'm interested in (journalism advanced apprenticeship) is a degree apprenticeship.. at the end of the apprenticeship you're given an NCTJ qualification so probably not.. do you know any specific journalism degree apprenticeships, preferably in London? :smile:
ah ok! but I'm not sure how much council tax we would be paying because were only apprentices and are therefore not on the highest of salaries - surely were below some sort of threshold and would only be paying a small amount?

Council tax is based on the property you live in, not your income. You can get exemptions and reductions in some cases like being a student, living alone and on certain DWP benefits.

Rather than just the council tax the main issue I suspect you'd face is the cost of living on London on general, it's huge and recently even more so.
Original post by StriderHort
Council tax is based on the property you live in, not your income. You can get exemptions and reductions in some cases like being a student, living alone and on certain DWP benefits.

Rather than just the council tax the main issue I suspect you'd face is the cost of living on London on general, it's huge and recently even more so.

I suppose what I could do is get accommodation or a flat/house share that is in reasonable distance to commute to central London, like a 15-20minute commute on the tube. yeah, the cost of living crisis is seriously bad at the moment, even where I am (Essex, very close to London), it's really depressing actually.. but thanks for clearing council tax up a bit for me, now its a bit easier to understand
Original post by user8937264980
you pay the same amount of tax and other compulsory fees as anyone on the same salary as you. as you earn a salary and they offer you extra to live in London you can probably afford it but if you can commute i'd do that to save some money for a bit.

I think I'd be fine commuting in my first year but in my second year I'm just afraid i'm going to **** my parents off even more lol, so maybe by then I'd try and find a flatshare/houseshare or some accommodation somewhere. thanks for clearing it up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending