The Student Room Group

How many calories are in FISH & CHIPS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
after working in a chip shop, i could easily see how it could be so high
Reply 21
~Kirsty~
Actually you were quite close! :eek:

It varies, as portion size/type of oil etc varies, most of the calories are from the fat, since they are dripping in the stuff,

But i would say a good estimate is 1500 kcals. :smile:

As you say a supermarket pizza is 1000, and Fish and chips is easily more... imagine whats in a takeaway pizza since supermarket ones are much much smaller!

:eek2: That's my max. daily calorie intake.
I can see why it would be that high, I can never eat a whole takeaway me and my mum will get one supper and then just the meat in the other and share the chips and even that makes me feel like i'll explode. I can also only eat half a curry, sweet and sour or portion of rice. The portions are so unnecessarily big!
Reply 23
minimo
:eek2: That's my max. daily calorie intake.

Thats what i aim for in a day too!
I guess the healthier option of fish and chips would be to make it at home and have baked or breaded fish and either home made chips or potatoes.

I'm never eating a fish supper again...
Thats over what I eat in a day calorie wise. Oh well, not eating one of them for a long time.
If you wanted to be healthier, just get the fish, its a good source of protein, whilst fish and chip shop chips are pretty rubbish nutrition-wise. Its probably still high-cal for what you're getting but less than if you got both. If you wanted to be really healthy, don't eat the batter. But then again, if you want to be really healthy what are you doing in a chippy? :wink: lol
Reply 27
Homestarrunner
I guess the healthier option of fish and chips would be to make it at home and have baked or breaded fish and either home made chips or potatoes.

I'm never eating a fish supper again...

Yep - only about 600Kcals for oven fish and chips! :smile:
1500 calories seems feasible, I eat about 1200 calories a day so eating 1500 for a meal is a foreign concept.
I couldn't even imagine putting 1500kcals in my mouth in the one go these days, how sad is that. I think If I ever want fish and chips again I'll stick to the homemade ones.
Reply 30
You don't think of it as been 1500 Kcal is the point, and the portions are way too large, at least i don't think theres 1500 kcal on my plate when i get them.
Id rather have a bar of chocolate tbh for that amount of calories. It would be much less...

I miss chocolate and coffee actually, so much... have cut it out of my diet for 6 weeks. :frown: Im feeling really hungry at the moment, but to have something to eat now would break the rule of not having something to eat after 8pm....
Reply 32
A SINGLE Large fish from a chippy is 860 calories alone.
Reply 33
Saskia-
Id rather have a bar of chocolate tbh for that amount of calories. It would be much less...

I miss chocolate and coffee actually, so much... have cut it out of my diet for 6 weeks. :frown: Im feeling really hungry at the moment, but to have something to eat now would break the rule of not having something to eat after 8pm....

I don't have a no food after 8 pm rule - i have a rule where if i get hungry at night i'm allowed fruit but nothing else.
~Kirsty~
I don't have a no food after 8 pm rule - i have a rule where if i get hungry at night i'm allowed fruit but nothing else.

That is a new rule that I am going to adopt...no food after 8 except fruit...good plan :biggrin:.

ps Kirsty, I am trying to loose weight but I dont think I am doing it in a very smart way. How many cals should you aim to eat per day 1500?..I dont mind cutting out "junk" food or sensible dieting. What bothers me is the lack of energy that I have, which is a real issue because I need to be able to study effectively...:rolleyes: which I cant do if Im thinking about food.
I have the no food after 8pm rule as well.

Saskia, 1500 is a pretty safebet for steady weight loss as generally most womens' BMR is around 2000.

I'm doing 1200 max which is pretty hard right now cause there is so much Lovely food around :smile:
Reply 36
Saskia-
That is a new rule that I am going to adopt...no food after 8 except fruit...good plan :biggrin:.

ps Kirsty, I am trying to loose weight but I dont think I am doing it in a very smart way. How many cals should you aim to eat per day 1500?..I dont mind cutting out "junk" food or sensible dieting. What bothers me is the lack of energy that I have, which is a real issue because I need to be able to study effectively...:rolleyes: which I cant do if Im thinking about food.

I could calculate your real energy requirements if you like? I'll need your weight and age though... PM me if you like.
Reply 37
dd1989
A SINGLE Large fish from a chippy is 860 calories alone.

Is that the cannon?
Reply 38
Chips about 950 for a regular portion, because it's huge (like 400g), fish with probably vary a lot. It's battered so it'll be pretty colossal. Maybe 500, if you're being optimistic?

It's yummy but make sure you don't eat much else that day...
Reply 39
Surely anyone who's concerned with not eating too many kcals won't touch fish and chips. :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest