The Student Room Group

Visual Studio (VB.net) & Java (Both Programming) Books

In Specifics...

I'm looking for a Visual Studio 2005, VB.NET book and a Java Book which can help me to begin with programming, I have finished my first year and got major help with programming, but now its up to us to do the assignments and I felt i've learnt nothing, i'm looking for as basic as you can get books, like Visual Studio 2005 for dummies, I dont want to go anywhere on EBay and it has to be online. I'm really behind on my IVA assignment and need help to programme on it so thought i'd purchase some books.
Reply 1
I'd recommend "Absolute Java" if you can find it for a good price. It's very thorough and easy to understand.
Reply 2
What edition of Absolute Java, anyone, the latest one or it would not matter whichever it is

Thanks
Reply 3
The latest is more likely to be up to date with Java 1.6, so it depends which version of java your using.
Reply 4
sarbruis
I'd recommend "Absolute Java" if you can find it for a good price. It's very thorough and easy to understand.

I've just purchased Java For Dummies (Programming) hope thats a good book, (I purchased it before your message), what about Visual Studio 2005 (VB.net) books?
Reply 5
sarbruis

I just had a look at Absolute Java and can't afford it, so the cheaper option was probably better.
Reply 6
Is that the all in one? If it is, then it is a good book, i constantly refer back it it whilst building programmes.
Reply 7
allydm
Is that the all in one? If it is, then it is a good book, i constantly refer back it it whilst building programmes.

Beginning Programming with JavaTM For Dummies® (For Dummies), Its not the all in one because if I bought that then i'd have no money left for a Visual studio 2005 book, which I also need. I study both languages.
Reply 8
I recommend (as usual) "Objects first with Java" as so far its the best Java book i have encountered.
THis is because it is truly object orienated and starts out object orientated from the first page without doing the hello world nonsense. It can do this because it focuses on using blue J which really helps to visualize and understand the concept of OOP
Reply 9
I've only read up to page 16 on Beggining Programming with Java for Dummies-2nd Edition, I have clearly learnt a lot from it only reading a few pages, I changed my wallpaper to an image of 'ByteCode', although I'm only getting started, I would like to read this book and move on to more complex books in Java.

Now for a Visual Studio 2005 (VB.NET) Book :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending