The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

My First Time Screen Printing at Kingston Uni

Have you ever visited our Printmaking Studios at Kingston School of Art?

The printmaking studios are one of the largest workshops where you can explore different facets of printmaking such as etching, relief printing, screenprinting, letterpress and bookbinding! Kingston School of Arts is also home to one of the few A2 size risograph duplicators in the UK.

During this time of year, many final year fashion students make full use of this opportunity to create their very own printed textiles for their graduate collection using screen printing. Aside from the costs of fabric, the screen and paint are all provided by the university unless you want a specific colour or special paint! In addition to regular fabric paint, different surface treatments like embossing and foil can be achieved using the screen printing technique! :h:

My first experience in the printmaking studios was when I wanted to experiment using a gold foil print for a knit project. With the help of the friendly technicians, the knitted swatches are first screen printed with a layer of adhesive and left to dry, this can be done using a silkscreen with a specific design or simply painted on directly. After which, I had to use the heat press in the fashion workshop to apply gold foil onto my swatches of fabric! The final effect is amazing and really changes the visual impact of my knitted fabric samples. I can’t wait to try this technique in my other projects! :colondollar:

If you didn’t already know, Kingston has an open access workshop system where any student from Kingston University can easily book a consultation at any one of our workshops after short induction. This means that there are an endless amount of mediums you can utilise for any one of your projects here at Kingston University! That said, certain facilities like the photography studios and screen printing are always in high demand, so do remember to plan ahead and book your consultation as soon as possible!

Are you interested in print design or screen printing? Feel free to share your interests in the comments below!:biggrin:

Zhi En (BA Fashion):smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending