The Student Room Group

Prove cos2(x)+sin2(x) = 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SsEe
Haha. I love stuff like that. Kind of reminds me of how to derive the series expansion for e^x (with ever so slight abuse of notation):

0xexdx=ex1\int_0^x e^x dx= e^x - 1

0xexdxex=1\int_0^x e^x dx - e^x = -1

(0xdx1)ex=1(\int_0^xdx - 1)e^x = -1

ex=110xdx=1+0xdx+0x0xdxdx+0x0x0xdxdxdx+...e^x = \frac{1}{1 - \int_0^xdx} = 1 + \int_0^xdx + \int_0^x\int_0^xdxdx + \int_0^x\int_0^x\int_0^xdxdxdx + ...

ex=1+x+x22+x33!+...e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + ...

Nothing wrong with that at all...
We integrate (c2+s21)2(c^2+s^2 - 1)^2 over [0,pi/2]. Define the linear functional I(f)=0π2f(x)dx I(f) = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} f(x)dx
Notice that I(e4ix)=0 I(e^{4ix})=0 . Recalling that eix=cos(x)+isin(x) e^{ix}=\cos(x) + i\sin(x) , we see that I(c4+s4)=I(6c2s2) I(c^4 + s^4)=I(6c^2s^2) . (you can do this without euler's identity using integration by parts)
Hence I[(c2+s21)2]=I(8c2s22s22c2+1) I[(c^2+s^2-1)^2]= I(8c^2s^2 -2s^2 - 2c^2 +1) . Now we use the double angle formulae to see that this is equal to
I(2(sin2(2x)s2)cos(2x)) I(2(\sin^2(2x) -s^2) - \cos(2x))
We can see that
Unparseable latex formula:

I(2(\sin^2(2x)) = \int_0^{\pi}} \sin^2(x) dx

. By the symmetry of sine about pi/2, we see that
I(2(sin2(2x))=2I(sin2(x)) I(2(\sin^2(2x))=2I(\sin^2(x))
Finally, it is easy to see that the integral over [0,pi] of cos(x) is 0. This leaves us with I((c2+s21)2)=0 I((c^2+s^2 - 1)^2) =0 . Using continuity of sine and cosine we see that c^2+s^2=1 on [0,pi/2]. But then they are equal everywhere because sin^2(pi-x) = sin^2(x) and cos^2(pi-x) = cos^2(x) (and so they are equal on [pi/2,pi]) and s^2+c^2 is a pi periodic function.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by tonyhawken
It may constitute a proof, but is a very roundabout way of doing things. Also note if you believe some of the other posters on this forum, it would not constitute a real proof as you have not gone right back to basics - you may have made too many assumptions.

Maybe you haven't realised what the point of this thread is?! It's to find as many ways as possible to prove the equation. So roundabout proofs are pretty much exactly what it's asking for. And yes I haven't included the proof that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) and the derivative of cos(x) and -sin(x), because I expect the reader to already know that that is true... :bhangra:
Original post by Rahul.S
i had another way of proving this....but i must say i really like this way...afterall im learning de moivre's theorem :colone:

And this is a neat and efficient proof.
Im going to be starting A level maths/fm , is it ok that i dont know this?
Reply 85
Original post by falcon pluse

When you say 'this', do you mean the fact that sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 ?
Original post by joe17292
When you say 'this', do you mean the fact that sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 ?

noo , being able to prove it . I know that identity
Reply 87
noo , being able to prove it . I know that identity

Ok. I wouldn't say you need to have learnt it by now, but everyone should know how to prove it by the time they start using it (which you will be doing in AS maths). Also out of interest, do you know any proofs of Pythagoras' theorem?
Original post by joe17292
Ok. I wouldn't say you need to have learnt it by now, but everyone should know how to prove it by the time they start using it (which you will be doing in AS maths). Also out of interest, do you know any proofs of Pythagoras' theorem?

Ive done AS maths and furthermaths lol , we were taught but i didnt pay much attention to the proofs so no i do not :biggrin:

( im not bad at maths so if you have an area which is an easy way to see how to do it ill have a look as im applying for maths with economics at uni )
Reply 89
Original post by tonyhawken
And this is a neat and efficient proof.

yh defo :colone: :biggrin:
Sick.
Original post by L'art pour l'art
1=cos(0)=cos(xx)=cosxcosx+sinxsinx=cos2x+sin2x.\begin{aligned}1 & = \cos(0) \\& = \cos(x-x) \\& = \cos{x}\cos{x}+\sin{x}\sin{x} \\& = \cos^2{x}+\sin^2{x}.\end{aligned}

Love it, I can actually understand that one :teehee:
Reply 92
My favourite simple proof, probably been posted

cos(x) = adjacent/hypotenuse

sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse

cos2(x) +sin2(x) = ((adjacent)^2 + (opposite)^2)/(hypotenuse)^2

By Pythagoras, (adjacent)^2 + (opposite)^2 = (hypotenuse)^2

so ((adjacent)^2 + (opposite)^2)/(hypotenuse)^2 = (hypotenuse)^2/(hypotenuse)^2 = 1
Original post by han87xx

so ((adjacent)^2 + (opposite)^2)/(hypotenuse)^2 = (hypotenuse)^2/(hypotenuse)^2 = 1

That's my favourite way to explain it to people, it's good :smile: but I think it's pretty much identical to post #2?
Reply 94
Original post by han87xx

this is the proof i used before.....but some of the proofs here are quite unique and less lenghty
Reply 95
Hmm...

sin2x=(2sinx2cosx2)2\displaystyle \sin ^2 x = (2 \sin \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{2})^2
[INDENT] =(2sin2x2)(2cos2x2)\displaystyle = (2 \sin ^2 \frac{x}{2})(2 \cos ^2 \frac{x}{2})
=(1cosx)(1+cosx)\displaystyle = (1 - \cos x)(1 + \cos x)
=1cos2x\displaystyle = 1 - \cos^2 x [/INDENT]
Reply 96
Original post by Zuzuzu
Hmm...

sin2x=(2sinx2cosx2)2\displaystyle \sin ^2 x = (2 \sin \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{2})^2
[INDENT] =(2sin2x2)(2cos2x2)\displaystyle = (2 \sin ^2 \frac{x}{2})(2 \cos ^2 \frac{x}{2})
=(1cosx)(1+cosx)\displaystyle = (1 - \cos x)(1 + \cos x)
=1cos2x\displaystyle = 1 - \cos^2 x [/INDENT]

I did quite like that for its seeming simplicity but given that it relies at line 2 to 3 on

cos2x = 1 - 2sin^2x = 2cos^2x - 1

it's pretty circular in nature.
Original post by RichE
I did quite like that for its seeming simplicity but given that it relies at line 2 to 3 on

cos2x = 1 - 2sin^2x = 2cos^2x - 1

it's pretty circular in nature.

It was very hard to try and dodge that with that stupid integral proof I have above. But yeah, it is circular.

If you don't know it now, you should know it soon. In fact if you have read the posts on this thread you should know it quite well already.
Original post by IrrationalNumber
It was very hard to try and dodge that with that stupid integral proof I have above. But yeah, it is circular.

Yes I agree with you about you proof. Proving a simple identity using much more difficult maths makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply

Latest