The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
what do i need to tell my old doctor before i register with a new one in camb? does he need to give my new doctor my notes and stuff?
priya
what do i need to tell my old doctor before i register with a new one in camb? does he need to give my new doctor my notes and stuff?

my info stuff said if you are having any treatment at the mo and want to continue it in cam you need to ask your doc for a lettter about it for your new doc.

i am not sure but i THINK they organise the notes being transferred once you've registered etc...
I'm a bit confused about some of the stuff you need to do when you get down to Cambridge. I know I have to register with a Doctor down there, and I know I need a gown, but do I need to register with a dentist and do I need a suit as well? I'm going to Trinity. Thanks.
Reply 383
No, you do not need to register with a dentist, however you can if you wish.

Yes, you do need a suit....colleges demand you wear them underneath your gowns for matriculation.
Reply 384
androidkiller
I'm a bit confused about some of the stuff you need to do when you get down to Cambridge. I know I have to register with a Doctor down there, and I know I need a gown, but do I need to register with a dentist and do I need a suit as well? I'm going to Trinity. Thanks.

There is a university dental service place on Trumpington Street opposite the Engineering Department.

You'll need a suit (it should say in your freshers pack?).
Reply 385
androidkiller

There is a University Dental Service, but you don't have to register with them like you do with a doctor. I haven't (but haven't been to the dentist for over a year - I refuse to pay £15 for them to count my teeth and see that they're all fine.)
Reply 386
Helenia
There is a University Dental Service, but you don't have to register with them like you do with a doctor. I haven't (but haven't been to the dentist for over a year - I refuse to pay £15 for them to count my teeth and see that they're all fine.)

:biggrin: I wouldnt normally go that often, since its normally a 30 sec checkup , with them mumbling something about D1, D2 missing etc.....

But last time I went, it was pretty shocking :eek: holes in my teeth and al! ....... did you know that the sound of a drill might be enuf to make you think you feel pain!! :frown:

ps. I've never been to the Uni's dental service, so I'm not sure what its like....

Another thing you might want to do if you've got time, is send in your computer connection request form....if ur taking a pc, so that you can connect it straight away.
Reply 387
MadLy
:biggrin: I wouldnt normally go that often, since its normally a 30 sec checkup , with them mumbling something about D1, D2 missing etc.....

But last time I went, it was pretty shocking :eek: holes in my teeth and al! ....... did you know that the sound of a drill might be enuf to make you think you feel pain!! :frown:

Ooooooh. Only had one filling in my life, and it wasn't too bad. Don't think I need any more at the moment. After the braces it can't be much more painful!

Dad's just had half his minging teeth out and some false ones made. I sooooo hope I don't end up like that :eek:
Reply 388
Are weekends usually full of accademic work? (for arch & anthers?)
How many could I spare to visit friends in other unis and still keep on top of things? Is weekend work set/are you expected to put a good few hours in on the weekends?

I know they're very general questions and obviously depend entirely on how lazy you are during the week but very general answers would do! The main reason would be for visiting friends or having friends visit me but over the past weekend I've sort of committed myself to going away for a few more weekends during term time in the coming year.
Reply 389
i was wondering the same..if i wanna go home on friday eve for my birthday, would it be possible to do all my work during the week/on the train journies there and back, and still manage to get off friday night/saturday/sunday morn/afternoon?

also if i join a drama soc, and do a freshers play or whatever, how much extra time dya reckon i'd have?
Reply 390
Helenia
Ooooooh. Only had one filling in my life, and it wasn't too bad. Don't think I need any more at the moment. After the braces it can't be much more painful!

Dad's just had half his minging teeth out and some false ones made. I sooooo hope I don't end up like that :eek:

Apparently, it came up on xrays.....and it wasnt even the side I thought was suspect :rolleyes: Yeah, have heard that braces do ur gums in, when u first get them.....oh well, some ppl like braces on a girl! :tongue: :rolleyes:

:biggrin: i actually think it would be highly amusing removing me false teeth in public, or having them in a glass on the bed side, clamping down on a tough bit o steak to find ur teeth popping out :eek: :biggrin: novelty value...for the first few days anyway.....Still, my Gran who has them says they still not as good as your own teeth, so she keeps as many as she can...old and decrepid though they may be!! :cool:

ps. I'm really NOT trying to sidetrack this thread with these comments :biggrin: :tongue:
Reply 391
priya
i was wondering the same..if i wanna go home on friday eve for my birthday, would it be possible to do all my work during the week/on the train journies there and back, and still manage to get off friday night/saturday/sunday morn/afternoon?

also if i join a drama soc, and do a freshers play or whatever, how much extra time dya reckon i'd have?

i reckon it is possible, depending on what subject ur studying! I found that I couldnt do all the work in the week, simply cos of all the distractions that were there! :smile: I'd expect to be workin for say half of sunday at least, on average....

U normally can get away with doing less work in the term time if you work in the holidays.....as they're roughly equal periods of time!
Reply 392
MadLy
Apparently, it came up on xrays.....and it wasnt even the side I thought was suspect :rolleyes: Yeah, have heard that braces do ur gums in, when u first get them.....oh well, some ppl like braces on a girl! :tongue: :rolleyes:

Oooh, they were horrible. And the day after I had them fitted, I had to go to my American friend's Thanksgiving party, featuring such culinary delicacies as pecan pie. Delicious, but I couldn't bite anything at all :frown: I got rid of them years ago though, so if you're looking for that as an identifier, it won't work! I never kissed anyone with the permanent ones in though - scared the hell out of me!

Katie and Priya - taking one or two weekends out a term usually isn't a problem. You don't want to go home every weekend though, it would put a dent in your social life as well as your work.
Reply 393
Helenia
Oooh, they were horrible. And the day after I had them fitted, I had to go to my American friend's Thanksgiving party, featuring such culinary delicacies as pecan pie. Delicious, but I couldn't bite anything at all :frown: I got rid of them years ago though, so if you're looking for that as an identifier, it won't work! I never kissed anyone with the permanent ones in though - scared the hell out of me!

Katie and Priya - taking one or two weekends out a term usually isn't a problem. You don't want to go home every weekend though, it would put a dent in your social life as well as your work.

A few weekends (hopefully only one!) is all that I think I would require! I'm going to have to start planning ahead more I think, especially when it comes to agreeing to things before I've actually checked it's possible! :rolleyes:

Another sort of related question, how busy are Christmas holidays in terms of work set and pre/post holiday exams?
Reply 394
katie you might be able to go visit friends after you've finished! we finish on the third of december- i'm planning on going to eeds on my way home for a day or so, got quite a few friends up there who i wanna see
Reply 395
priya
katie you might be able to go visit friends after you've finished! we finish on the third of december- i'm planning on going to eeds on my way home for a day or so, got quite a few friends up there who i wanna see

Yeah I can put off visiting them, it would be nice to have the option though! I've been promised a visit before November and been assigned a floor/sofa at my best mates student flat thing when I finish before her at Christmas. :smile:

I was thinking for more serious things, I might be going away next summer on a sort of service project type thing, if so I'm committed to a number of briefing weekends...I didn't think to check how busy I'd be when I agreed to them! None of it's certain, but I thought it might be courteous to let them know asap if I can't make the dates given!
MadLy

ps. I've never been to the Uni's dental service, so I'm not sure what its like....

Another thing you might want to do if you've got time, is send in your computer connection request form....if ur taking a pc, so that you can connect it straight away.

My teeth are terrible (not in terms of cleanliness or fillings). They are all wonkey. My dentist wanted to give me braces but I told him to f*ck off because it would have interfered with my music. if you play the French horn with braces they cut into the inside of your lip soI decided i'd rather have wonkey teeth,

MB
intense
Reply 398
whats everyone doing about music? i'm thinking of copying all my cds onto cdR's so i don't have to bring(and therefore lose) the orginals. good idea dya reckon?
Reply 399
i dont use cds, i copy them onto me pc....but if people bring their cds, it means i can nick their music! So yes...that's a good idea!

Latest

Trending

Trending