The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I really don't think there's a lack of jobs. Even if there is a lack of computing jobs, doing a CS degree doesn't mean you have to go into one of those. CS has a lot of transferable skills that many companies look very favourably on even if the actual content isn't really related.
Reply 2
Everyone from banks to Asda to NASA is recruiting CS grads. You only have to look through the infuriatingly vague job ads at the likes of www.cwjobs.co.uk to get a good idea of just how much is out there. It all depends what your want really.
Big thing I would say is get youself a masters. My mate had bugger all response from job applications before his masters, since he got it he's never not made it to the interviews and even turned a headhunter down only for them to offer something better. Yup, right now, a BSc on it's own ain't worth diddly, but a masters for some reason seems to be treated like two years experience. go figure.
greenmuzz
Yup, right now, a BSc on it's own ain't worth diddly, but a masters for some reason seems to be treated like two years experience. go figure.

What a load of rubbish :smile:
Reply 4
DoubleThePrice
What a load of rubbish :smile:

I thought that myself.....
Reply 5
greenmuzz
Yup, right now, a BSc on it's own ain't worth diddly, but a masters for some reason seems to be treated like two years experience. go figure.

What uni did he do his bsc at?
What A2 or equivalents did he get?
Reply 6
It all depends where he got his BSc and his masters. I have a friend who did a BSc from UEL and obv had loads of problems with his jobs, but since doing an MSc at Imperial they've been offering him jobs he didnt even apply for :biggrin:
Reply 7
I'm hoping for Glasgow or St Andrews, which have a good reputation (according to league tables).
Reply 8
greenmuzz

HAHAHAHAHAHA. A member of the comedy club. A masters in CS is totally unnecessary.

OP: Good computer science departments have no problems sending their graduates into decent jobs.
degress are worth a lot to a lot, but ususally it doesn't matter what the degree is as long as you got a fairly decent one. i know a person who got a geography degree and is now a head of computer systems at a company. go figure
Helps if it is a numerate degree though. Something like English won't stand you in good stead for getting your first IT based job with most employers.

Latest

Trending

Trending