The Student Room Group

Computer science alevel

Has anyone done CS alevel without doing it for GCSEs? How difficult was it and was u behind on anything?
Original post by Replyplz
Has anyone done CS alevel without doing it for GCSEs? How difficult was it and was u behind on any

i am taking cs in alevel without studying it in igcse however I have seen and met people who have excelled in the subject without prior knowledge . ofcourse youre going to be a bit behind from your peers at the beginning but if you work hard and listen to your teachers youll excel at it aswell
Reply 2
Original post by bushrahanif
i am taking cs in alevel without studying it in igcse however I have seen and met people who have excelled in the subject without prior knowledge . ofcourse youre going to be a bit behind from your peers at the beginning but if you work hard and listen to your teachers youll excel at it aswell

What is the hardest part about CS? And also do they teach u how to code and program things because I have no idea how too
Reply 3
What is the hardest part about CS? And also do they teach u how to code and program things because I have no idea how too

Of course everything is taught from scratch. Hardest part of CS is just how different it is and how weird the mark schemes are. You'll know the content but when answering an exam question you just won't say what they want in the mark scheme which is really demotivating. After a while you'll get used to it and know how to answer questions.
Reply 4
Original post by BigJ123
Of course everything is taught from scratch. Hardest part of CS is just how different it is and how weird the mark schemes are. You'll know the content but when answering an exam question you just won't say what they want in the mark scheme which is really demotivating. After a while you'll get used to it and know how to answer questions.

Are there any like essay style question in CS bc I'm not really the best at them. And how is the NEA? I heared a lot if people struggle with that
Reply 5
Are there any like essay style question in CS bc I'm not really the best at them. And how is the NEA? I heared a lot if people struggle with that

Depends on the exam board, i do OCR and the largest question we get is a 12 marker. Usually a few of these longer style questions come up. However they're not the type of essay questions you think they are, you just write in bullet points a bunch of info and get marks for each point practically.

NEA is hard if you dont pay attention to the mark scheme and what the examiner wants. You gotta make sure each point in the mark scheme has been met for sure to get the top marks or the marks for that specific band. The coding isn't too bad (u pretty much just follow a tutorial or ask chatgpt to help code something)

Quick Reply

Latest