The Student Room Group

len's y12 gyg blog

hi everyone, i only just started making this blog i didnt know about it earlier. im in year 12 at a maths school, hoping to study cs at uni! women in stem rise up!!:tongue:
subjects:
maths, fm (both edexcel), physics AS (AQA), cs (OCR)
potential unis:
imperial/ucl/kcl, bristol, loughborough
about me:
i love cs, specifically cyber security. also enjoy tampering with linux (i use debian and alpine) i like reading both fiction and non fiction and my favourite book is probably a little life (even though it broke me). currently playing fallout: new vegas. my current favourite album is luv(sic) hexology and i am also a little obsessed with old technology. i also love a nice maths proof. i have autism and adhd, which defo impacts my studies, but that doesnt stop me from being ambitious :biggrin: also love ballet and girly things like fashion and makeup :h:
goals:

get A*A*A in predicted grades

get an A on my physics AS :redface:

read 10 books

do more practise questions

good luck to my fellow year 12s!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
10/1/24
this evening I'm planning to:

integration questions

physics revision questions

physics anki from lectures

logs questions

i've got another set of (more important) tests in 2 weeks. so really stressed trying to get a lot of practice Qs done. if i've done everything, i'll do:

project work

other maths practice questions

(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
11/1/24
so tired today so probably gonna only do a few things

anki

physics homework

mechanics homework

(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Woman in STEM has arrived 😁

Just kidding, I take Bio, Chem, Maths, FM - also year 12, but I want to do medicine. I do really enjoy maths and science tho, maths is my backup if medicine ever goes wrong. I also like engineering and mechanics. I've got my own GYG too, although my goals for after school today didn't go to plan haha

I took cs gcse, but I really enjoyed doing cyberfirst competitions in year 8! I wanted to go into cybersecurity at one point, but when I found out that it was less about cryptography and cracking messages it wasn't the right path for me 😂 I always got made fun of though for enjoying the gcse, and sadly now no girls take it for a level - so I'm glad to see that you're going for it!

Also love seeing another STEM girl who likes to read! You read a little life? Isn't that supposed to be heartbreaking?

Also random question but I've seen so many people use anki, what is it though?
Reply 4
Original post by study23!
Woman in STEM has arrived 😁

Just kidding, I take Bio, Chem, Maths, FM - also year 12, but I want to do medicine. I do really enjoy maths and science tho, maths is my backup if medicine ever goes wrong. I also like engineering and mechanics. I've got my own GYG too, although my goals for after school today didn't go to plan haha

I took cs gcse, but I really enjoyed doing cyberfirst competitions in year 8! I wanted to go into cybersecurity at one point, but when I found out that it was less about cryptography and cracking messages it wasn't the right path for me 😂 I always got made fun of though for enjoying the gcse, and sadly now no girls take it for a level - so I'm glad to see that you're going for it!

Also love seeing another STEM girl who likes to read! You read a little life? Isn't that supposed to be heartbreaking?

Also random question but I've seen so many people use anki, what is it though?

oh nice! i'll be sure to watch that thread! yeah my goals finish either, had some personal thing i had to sort out before i could start my homework.
i also loved the cyberfirst competitions!! ive been doing them for like 3 years in a row, for sure i think im one of 2 girls in my class for computer science, and i go to a maths school so theres hardly any girls either.
as for the book, yes it is actually heartbreaking, i cried probably 10 times reading it but the author is incredibly talented and can create very immersive descriptions.
and dont get me started on anki!!! its a flashcards app sort thing, on PC and you can access it on the website on the phone. its just like quizlet, but instead of reviewing the same cards each time, every time you answer a question, you rate it on a scale of difficulty "again"(you didnt get the answer), "hard" (maybe got some of it), "good" and "easy" (got it instantly), and essentially this schedules when you will next recieve the card. for example, you may recieve the card you marked as "again" in the next few minutes, or the card you marked as easy will be given in a week or so. over time, the cards you keep getting right will show up less and less and the cards you found hard will be given more frequently unless you start getting them right. it works on the theory of the forgetting curve. it turned my bio grade from a 5 to a 9 in gcse, so for things that have a lot of facts to remember, its amazing. could never go back, i use it every day for cs and physics. can help you set it up if you're interested.
Anki
Reply 5
Original post by leno_o
oh nice! i'll be sure to watch that thread! yeah my goals finish either, had some personal thing i had to sort out before i could start my homework.
i also loved the cyberfirst competitions!! ive been doing them for like 3 years in a row, for sure i think im one of 2 girls in my class for computer science, and i go to a maths school so theres hardly any girls either.
as for the book, yes it is actually heartbreaking, i cried probably 10 times reading it but the author is incredibly talented and can create very immersive descriptions.
and dont get me started on anki!!! its a flashcards app sort thing, on PC and you can access it on the website on the phone. its just like quizlet, but instead of reviewing the same cards each time, every time you answer a question, you rate it on a scale of difficulty "again"(you didnt get the answer), "hard" (maybe got some of it), "good" and "easy" (got it instantly), and essentially this schedules when you will next recieve the card. for example, you may recieve the card you marked as "again" in the next few minutes, or the card you marked as easy will be given in a week or so. over time, the cards you keep getting right will show up less and less and the cards you found hard will be given more frequently unless you start getting them right. it works on the theory of the forgetting curve. it turned my bio grade from a 5 to a 9 in gcse, so for things that have a lot of facts to remember, its amazing. could never go back, i use it every day for cs and physics. can help you set it up if you're interested.
Anki

Anki sounds fab thanks! Will look into it!

I’m assuming you know about the cyberfirst virtual summer schools then? I went to them every year save last year, but they were definitively worth it if you haven’t tried one!
Reply 6
Anki sounds fab thanks! Will look into it!

I’m assuming you know about the cyberfirst virtual summer schools then? I went to them every year save last year, but they were definitively worth it if you haven’t tried one!

yeah defo, did them also 3 years in a row haha
Reply 7
Original post by leno_o
yeah defo, did them also 3 years in a row haha

Omg we might have been on the same one at some point 😳 😂
Reply 8
Omg we might have been on the same one at some point 😳 😂

haha maybe!! although i remember a whole 1 time where i actually spoke on mic with my group so it wouldnt really matter anyway LOL!
Reply 9
12/1/24
SO TIRED TODAYY!!! hopefully my weekend will be productive today because i will only do anki today.
Reply 10
Original post by leno_o
12/1/24
SO TIRED TODAYY!!! hopefully my weekend will be productive today because i will only do anki today.

I’m exhausted too! Every day this week I’ve bought a coffee in school, I can’t stop my eyes from closing 😭 It’s probably best to have a rest day though and then this weekend should be chiller since we don’t have school
Reply 11
I’m exhausted too! Every day this week I’ve bought a coffee in school, I can’t stop my eyes from closing 😭 It’s probably best to have a rest day though and then this weekend should be chiller since we don’t have school

yep, my weekend will be packed...
sat:

phys anki electricity

complete anki cards

unit 1 revision phys

LMC revision

mechanics hw

maths revision (2 topics)

sun:

integration

combinatorics

electricity revision

phsyics hw

anki

(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by leno_o
yep, my weekend will be packed...
sat:

phys anki electricity

complete anki cards

unit 1 revision phys

LMC revision

mechanics hw

maths revision (2 topics)

sun:

integration

combinatorics

electricity revision

phsyics hw

ArI you guys doing integration now as well? Or are you just revising it? I love integration, did a bit of it in year 11 but I’m worried because our teachers are going through the syllabus veryyyy slowly.
Reply 13
ArI you guys doing integration now as well? Or are you just revising it? I love integration, did a bit of it in year 11 but I’m worried because our teachers are going through the syllabus veryyyy slowly.

yep, just started integration last week. we went through stuff SO SLOWLY at first (did straight line graphs for 7 lessons??) but we're only doing definite integration for now.
Reply 14
Original post by leno_o
yep, just started integration last week. we went through stuff SO SLOWLY at first (did straight line graphs for 7 lessons??) but we're only doing definite integration for now.

Yeah we’re in similar place, started some past paper questions on it today. It feels weird though because we’re using integration in FM stats at the moment too and I swear when it was introduced in normal maths my brain stopped functioning with it even though we’ve been practising it for two weeks 😭
Reply 15
Yeah we’re in similar place, started some past paper questions on it today. It feels weird though because we’re using integration in FM stats at the moment too and I swear when it was introduced in normal maths my brain stopped functioning with it even though we’ve been practising it for two weeks 😭

haha, we get taught maths and fm at the same time so im quite lucky with that one tbh
Reply 16
happy monday tsr.
tasks for this evening:

physics 1hr questions + anki

stats hw

start maths revision for 1 hr

Reply 17
Original post by leno_o
happy monday tsr.
tasks for this evening:

physics 1hr questions + anki

stats hw

start maths revision for 1 hr

Starting the week strong 👍
Reply 18
Starting the week strong 👍

you too hows anki going?
Reply 19
oh and i forgot my super curricular tasks!

work on number theory course

tryhackme

do a bit on my LaTeX document

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending