The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

helenkr
I don't think your GCSEs will hold you back. I would however say, only take as many subjects as you can handle. Currently your plans sound like a nightmare to me! Far too much work. However, if you can handle it, go for it. Your personal statement also plays a big role, so make that good. Also get in some work experience if you can.

With regards to the politics question, I found it a lot more than reeling off facts- perhaps you were on a different exam board to me. Also, to the admissions people, it shows an interest in current affairs, plus the EU is covered in detail, so that is a big selling point.

All in all, I'd say your chances are pretty good. My GCSEs were pretty good, but my AS levels were less than perfect- AA(History and Spanish)BB(Politics and English Lit) plus an A in general studies! Grades aren't everything at the application stage. :smile:

Ok, fair points, it also forms a firm basis for you in knowing current affairs if you're applying for oxbridge/the elite. That with some lateral thinking and critical thought leaves you in a good position!
emmett007

A's in law, business, english lit and lang combined and politics

You'd still be better off keeping History instead of Law and Business, I think.
Reply 42
Alright well lets put it down to the difference in exam boards then.

Of course i know it is relevant and that's why i choose it for AS-level. I did UK politics for a year and then dropped it because i was not the slightest bit interested in US politics for A2.

Emmette, you keep asking now, just take the god damn advice.
ok thanks
Luine
I would say, they think politics is fine because it's slightly connected but they don't view it as very respectable or anything because it's easy.

I dropped politics and continued with German.

I have never heard that before. I totally disagree. Politics is fine:rolleyes:
Reply 45
Stealth-Mode
I have never heard that before. I totally disagree. Politics is fine:rolleyes:

I didn't say it wasn't fine, hence why i took it for AS :P
i know but you wrote that uni's don't respect the subject- that was the bit i diasagreed with you on :0
Reply 47
They respect it but, it's not one of the most respected.
i can possibly see your reasoning for this if judging on the basis of how long an A level subject has ben widely offered, but otherwise i can't really see where you would get this impression from?

I've never heard this view nor come across it when looking at what subjetcs the top uni's prefer/dislike candidates to have.....

hmmm..baffed
?
Reply 49
Politics isn't that new - my mum took it at A-level thirty-odd years ago...
At my school (hardly the most well-organised/high-achieving I must admit) Politics is regarded as a really hard subject! Lol! I suppose that people who do Politics at our school though have only got something stupid like a lesson a fortnight though...
Whoever posted the original thread (can't remember the username, sorry...) I'd say drop business studies which is pretty much universally recognised as a doss, and either do the other 4 or go for your favourite 3 out of them. At my Oxford open day they said that doing A-Level Law wouldn't disadvantage you at all... I think they said that at King's as well.
Reply 51
Well some teacher mentioned it, who went to oxford so he's not exactly clueless. Not that i take his word for it or anything. From my own reasoning, i just don't regard it as extremely traditional, and found it easy.

But i think it depends on the syllabus. My syllabus was just learning and copying out. No graft, which is great :biggrin: but i didn't like it in this instance. Anyway it doesn't matter anymore.
Just to bring the whole politics and my choices to a close

After taking everyones advice,my A2s are going to be

History
English Literature and Language
Politics (Government and Politics to give its full name)
Law

Thank you everyone :smile: :smile: :smile: and wish me luck lol

:tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2: :biggrin:
Reply 53
Those are excellent choices. Best of luck, and work hard! I want to see AAAA in your signature at some point in the future. :smile:
Reply 54
good luck - makes sense!
Well yes i'd much rather have that in my signature then my GCSE results :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Thanks again and good luck to everyone else - I'll post again after my AS levels to let you know.

:cool:
Luine
Well some teacher mentioned it, who went to oxford so he's not exactly clueless. Not that i take his word for it or anything. From my own reasoning, i just don't regard it as extremely traditional, and found it easy.

But i think it depends on the syllabus. My syllabus was just learning and copying out. No graft, which is great :biggrin: but i didn't like it in this instance. Anyway it doesn't matter anymore.

Which board did you take?

Latest

Trending

Trending