The Student Room Group

Why does India have such a big public defecation problem?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rose-george/open-defecation-india_b_7898834.html

There are plenty of developing countries in a worse economic state than India yet public defecation is far more prevalent in India than in, say, Pakistan. I've been to both countries and Pakistan is far cleaner overall.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by desaf1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rose-george/open-defecation-india_b_7898834.html

There are plenty of developing countries in a worse economic state than India yet public defecation is far more prevalent in India than in, say, Pakistan. I've been to both countries and Pakistan is far cleaner overall.

The situation is getting better but it's still not great. The problem arises from corruption. The Congress party was useless.

I would like to point out India > Pakistan
Lack of free trade, glut of private and public investment, low incomes and lack of adequate education.
It's mainly because of their culture where they don't care about public land that isn't theirs. Indian homes tend to be clean but when they're outside they don't feel any sense of reponsubility to keep the place clean since it's just someone else's problem, not theirs. It's also to do with the Hindu culture and lack of education. The laws of Manu in Hinduism encourage open defecation and the caste system also plays a part because its the lower classes that are expected to clean
Because of the Hindu society they live in which encourages caste division and leads to people expecting others to do the cleaning up. This sort of public defecation is more common among Hindus in India than Indian Muslims because Islamic culture strongly forbids public defecation as an unclean act.
Original post by SGHD26716

I would like to point out India > Pakistan

How? Please tell me you're joking
Reply 6
Because of the culture and a lack of education. Countries like Sri Lanka which are in a similar economic state are still much cleaner than India, mainly because of education and a better culture. While economic growth has led to better standards of living for the middle and upper classes, this hasn't translated to illages in India which suffer from bad public services, traditional ways of life and a lack of education. I've been to one of the cleaner parts of India, Chennai, and the difference between that place and Mumbai is astonishing. To because the state government in Tamil Nadu promotes equal opportunities and education and has taken steps to change traditional social norms whereas most of North and Central India hasn't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ladbants
It's mainly because of their culture where they don't care about public land that isn't theirs. Indian homes tend to be clean but when they're outside they don't feel any sense of reponsubility to keep the place clean since it's just someone else's problem, not theirs. It's also to do with the Hindu culture and lack of education. The laws of Manu in Hinduism encourage open defecation and the caste system also plays a part because its the lower classes that are expected to clean

Sadly this is true.

The public defecation thing arises from the fact that obviously back in the day there were no toilets and most people lived in villages. The women of the village would get up early in the morning and go do their business while it was still dark.

However as India has become slightly more modern, villages have remained mainly the same.
Reply 8
Original post by akbar0123
How? Please tell me you're joking

I'm not joking and going by your username I can see why you disagree with me.

the exact quote from the manusmriti that encourages this please?

Also no hindu law book has ever been binding on people. this is not an abrahamic religion with a "do this or you will go to hell" threat system

Because of the Hindu society they live in which encourages caste division and leads to people expecting others to do the cleaning up. This sort of public defecation is more common among Hindus in India than Indian Muslims because Islamic culture strongly forbids public defecation as an unclean act.

there are many other hindu majority countries in the world that dont have such a problem. Nepal right next door has a larger proportion of hindus in the population than india 80%+ in Nepal compared to 79% in india.
Also Mauritius is hindu majority and the island of bali in Indonesia

anything by Abrahamic religion followwers to bash Hinduism huh?
Original post by Trapz99
Because of the culture and a lack of education. Countries like Sri Lanka which are in a similar economic state are still much cleaner than India, mainly because of education and a better culture. While economic growth has led to better standards of living for the middle and upper classes, this hasn't translated to illages in India which suffer from bad public services, traditional ways of life and a lack of education. I've been to one of the cleaner parts of India, Chennai, and the difference between that place and Mumbai is astonishing. To because the state government in Tamil Nadu promotes equal opportunities and education and has taken steps to change traditional social norms whereas most of North and Central India hasn't.

Are you Indian/ of Indian origin? Nice to see one of you guys who actually admits that their country has problems rather than being all chauvinistic and pretending it's the best country in the world lol
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99

Kerala is unbelievable as well and it just tells you much development depends on the government. For example, Kerala has higher life expectancy and adult literacy rate than the UK.
Are you Indian/ of Indian origin? Nice to see one of you guys who actually admits that their country has problems rather than being all chauvinistic and pretending it's the best country in the world lol

No, I'm of Sri Lankan origin.
Reply 13

It's actually sad because India has such huge potential to be a proper superpower but due to corrupt local governments it's not developing as it should.
Original post by Trapz99
I've been to one of the cleaner parts of India, Chennai, and the difference between that place and Mumbai is astonishing. To because the state government in Tamil Nadu promotes equal opportunities and education and has taken steps to change traditional social norms whereas most of North and Central India hasn't.

indeed it should also be noted for the hindu haters below that the cleanest parts of india like tamil nadu and kerala are also hindu majority and not muslim majority.
tamil nadu is probably more strict on Hinduism than the north

Original post by SGHD26716
Kerala is unbelievable as well and it just tells you much development depends on the government. For example, Kerala has higher life expectancy and adult literacy rate than the UK.

Yeah I learnt about Kerala in GCSE geography. The government here has taken a lot of steps to control the population and improve education. But it doesn't have a higher literacy rate than the UK since the UK has a 99% literacy rate, whereas Kerala is 94%. Still very high though, and the highest in India.
Reply 16
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah I learnt about Kerala in GCSE geography. The government here has taken a lot of steps to control the population and improve education. But it doesn't have a higher literacy rate than the UK since the UK has a 99% literacy rate, whereas Kerala is 94%. Still very high though, and the highest in India.

94% still very impressive. My point was basically all states in India should follow this example. My state, Punjab, is a mess and is being overrun by drugs.
Corruption and poverty.
India has the resources the tackle this issue, but it refuses to address the problem due to corruption
Original post by kaushikp
indeed it should also be noted for the hindu haters below that the cleanest parts of india like tamil nadu and kerala are also hindu majority and not muslim majority.
tamil nadu is probably more strict on Hinduism than the north

Tamil Nadu follows a different form of Hinduism, folk Hinduism, which is less connected to the traditional Hindu scriptures and is more focused on local village/tribal traditions rather than traditional Hindu beliefs. It's very different from Hinduism in the rest of India. I have a lot of Tamil Hindu friends and their beliefs are different from most Hindus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending