The Student Room Group

Why does India have such a big public defecation problem?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaushikp
indeed it should also be noted for the hindu haters below that the cleanest parts of india like tamil nadu and kerala are also hindu majority and not muslim majority.
tamil nadu is probably more strict on Hinduism than the north

Tamil Nadu is different from India in culture mate, their form of Hinduism is nothing like Hinduism in Maharashtra or Uttar Pradesh. Most Tamils don't even read Hindu scriptures, believe me I'm half Tamil.
Original post by Trapz99
Tamil Nadu follows a different form of Hinduism, folk Hinduism, which is less connected to the traditional Hindu scriptures and is more focused on local village/tribal traditions rather than traditional Hindu beliefs. It's very different from Hinduism in the rest of India. I have a lot of Tamil Hindu friends and their beliefs are different from most Hindus.

Original post by HotStocks
Tamil Nadu is different from India in culture mate, their form of Hinduism is nothing like Hinduism in Maharashtra or Uttar Pradesh. Most Tamils don't even read Hindu scriptures, believe me I'm half Tamil.

most hindus worldwide follow mostly folk Hinduism and tribal traditions. you rarely find hindus who have even read traditional hindu scriptures. maybe 1% hindus worldwide have read a few verses of the vedas
the only scripture mostly read by hindus is the geeta and that is maybe only 20% of educated hindus.

even in punjab or haryana or uttar Pradesh there is still a big influence of local traditions and folk religion than anything to do with vedic Hinduism. hinduism all across india varies from place to place. you can see a large difference just by going from village to village.
bengali hinduism is very differnet to bihari hinduism and they are neighbouring states
Reply 22
I don't know how big a problem it is and why it is a big problem but similar things can be said about Pakistanis like why 50% of British Pakistanis (75% in Bradford) marry their 1st cousins despite it causing birth defects.
Reflection of the kind of country it is...(Minus Punjab)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.
A turd World Problems
Original post by akbar0123
Because of the Hindu society they live in which encourages caste division and leads to people expecting others to do the cleaning up. This sort of public defecation is more common among Hindus in India than Indian Muslims because Islamic culture strongly forbids public defecation as an unclean act.

Muslims are the most backward community in India btw, the mot forward communities being 1.Parsis, 2. Sikhs,3. Hindus). So they are actually most likely to openly defecate because of lack of money to build toilets.

But government since 2014 has been building toilets for free for people.

People don't care about cleanliness when they're poor and uneducated.

Btw Islamic society encourages superamacy, totalitarianism, fundamentalism, narrow mindedness, terrorism, forced conversions of minorities. Muslims don't show any mercy when in majority but demand the opposite when a minority.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/02/15/pakistani-hindus-lose-daughters-forced-muslim-marriages/97013614/

Source-
https://thewire.in/53282/muslims-at-bottom-of-higher-education-ladder-alongside-backward-tribes/

http://www.ummid.com/news/2010/May/20.05.2010/nsso_survey_shows_muslims_backward.htm
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 15 states in India that are ahead of Punjab in GDP per capita and level of development.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_states_and_union_territories_by_GDP_per_capita

Saying this as a Indian Punjabi who lives in Punjab.

India does have problems but remember that it is also the fastest growing economy on earth. Things are changing and that too quickly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Too busy with a space program to provide basic sanitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by desaf1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rose-george/open-defecation-india_b_7898834.html

There are plenty of developing countries in a worse economic state than India yet public defecation is far more prevalent in India than in, say, Pakistan. I've been to both countries and Pakistan is far cleaner overall.

Because there are more people in India than in Pakistan duh.
Where in India Have you been? And have you been to Chandigarh or Bangalore?

Btw sure India has its problems but it is 50 times better than your country(Bangladesh).

India gives billions of dollars in aid to Bangladesh every year as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kaushikp

there are many other hindu majority countries in the world that dont have such a problem. Nepal right next door has a larger proportion of hindus in the population than india 80%+ in Nepal compared to 79% in india.
Also Mauritius is hindu majority and the island of bali in Indonesia

anything by Abrahamic religion followwers to bash Hinduism huh?

Nepal does have this sort of problem. Mauritius isn't particularly religious anyway, most are just secular Hindus. India on the other hand actually follows Hinduism to the letter, which is why they've got cows on the streets, defecate on the streets and an oppressive caste system. Let's face it, India's problems are doen to culture, and their culture revolves around Hinduism. Islam doesn't allow public defecation which is why Muslims in India don't tend to do it.
Original post by Ladbants
laws of Manu in Hinduism encourage open defecation

Evidence?

Also, laws of Manu are redundant and not followed anymore. Sanatan Dharma's(Hindu) social codes are always subject to change with time and circumstances.
(Btw I'm an agnostic Hindu)
Original post by CuriousGuy777

Btw sure India has its problems but it is 50 times better than your country(Bangladesh).

India gives billions of dollars in aid to Bangladesh every year as well.

He's Pakistani
They still expect Bhangis (toilet cleaning caste) to clean up their sh*t so don't want to build toilets. If you get rid of the job you oppress them with, how are you going to have control over these people?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwo6bxbXAAAug1Z.jpg
Manual Scavenging refers to picking up sh*t by hand. The fact that people actually think like this is ****ing infuriating!!
Nepal does have this sort of problem. Mauritius isn't particularly religious anyway, most are just secular Hindus. India on the other hand actually follows Hinduism to the letter, which is why they've got cows on the streets, defecate on the streets and an oppressive caste system. Let's face it, India's problems are doen to culture, and their culture revolves around Hinduism. Islam doesn't allow public defecation which is why Muslims in India don't tend to do it.

I live in India and am very confident that the caste system is vanishing and will cease to exist withing the next decade.

Well that's like saying Saudi Arabia is oppressive because it follows Islam. You surely would not agree with me would you?

It is absurd to relate such a problem to religion. When the reasons are clearly- poverty, lack of education.

"Muslims in India don't tend to do it."
Evidence?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Eternalflames
They still expect Bhangis (toilet cleaning caste) to clean up their sh*t so don't want to build toilets. If you get rid of the job you oppress them with, how are you going to have control over these people?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwo6bxbXAAAug1Z.jpg
Manual Scavenging refers to picking up sh*t by hand. The fact that people actually think like this is ****ing infuriating!!

Modi would never say such a thing. Source please?
Modi would never say such a thing. Source please?

It says it was in Karmyog published in 2007. And I do think Modi would say such a thing, he's no saint lmao
Even if he didn't so many others do think like that and it's ****ing disgusting!
(edited 6 years ago)

question, what is hinduism 'to the letter'?
what is 'pure' hinduism?

hindus themselves dont agree on basic what is fundamental to hinduism like whether god exists or core scriptures so how can an entire country follow 'hinduism to the letter'?

and lol yes muslims also defecate in the public in india. go to any muslim majority area in any indian city and you'll find it happening. muslim men with skullcaps defecating in the open.

yes chandigarh is the cleanest city in india. chandigarh is 80% hindu for those idiots linking lack of cleanliness to Hinduism
Original post by Eternalflames
It says it was in Karmiyog published in 2007. And I do think Modi would say such a thing, he's no saint lmao
Even if he didn't so many others do think like that and it's ****ing disgusting!

Well I have never heard what karmiyog is before so unless it's a reputable newspaper I'm not going to believe it. He's not dumb that he would say such stuff that too publicly.

It's possible that they do but I can assure you that things are changing quickly Didi.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending