The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

DoodleVibe
Before I put in my accomodation form, I just want to be sure I'm making the right move putting down for shared accomodation...

How much privacy do people find they sacricice by being in a shared room?

It depends how much time you like to yourself. I found sharing a room quite difficult because I can't sleep if I know I'm going to be disturbed later by someone else coming in, and generally I do quite well by having time completely to myself, but I know people who would thrive on sharing a room. Having 'friends' over for 'coffee' would be less straightforward in a shared room.
Are the shared rooms a reasonable size?

It depends on the hall. Some are huge, some are a bit cramped or awkwardly laid out, and most should give you enough space that you don't feel too invaded by the other person. You should have a decent amount of space and furniture to yourself, but you're still in a room together.

How are you matched up with someone to share with? Are there frequently problems with room mates?

Unless it has changed recently, I think they still ask various preferences on the application form and try to match people according to that - so, for example, people who get up early in the morning might get a room together. I think they try to pair people with someone who isn't going to be persistently irritating to them :smile: I've heard of some people who have great room-mates and some who have awful experiences, but I think most people are moderately content to reasonably happy.

This thread might be worth a look. Click on the expandy bits because there's more clicky stuff hidden in them :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I personally didn't have a good experience - but i think its because she lied on her sheet. ^_^ That and I cant stand sharing a room with anyone!
ImperceptibleNinja
Having 'friends' over for 'coffee' would be less straightforward in a shared room.

I've always wondered how that one's managed by people in shared rooms! Can anyone shed any light on this?
Reply 383
If one of the two has a single room, you could have coffee there. Or you could have a deal with your roommate, they'll go have some tea while your friends are over for coffee.
predius
If one of the two has a single room, you could have coffee there. Or you could have a deal with your roommate, they'll go have some tea while your friends are over for coffee.

That sounds great until you're actually sharing a room. It's really crap feeling obligated to leave. I know my room mate always had her friends over and it was damn annoying. The best thing i think to do, is either become friends with your room mate (like most people do) or to just go to other peoples rooms. i remember my room mate had her boyfriend staying - now THAT was awkward. Im stubborn though and there was no way i was going to alter my routine just because he was staying in our room and she was in class.

At the end of the day, you're both "adults" and it's both of your rooms. You need to respect each others privacy and most of the time that happens - but it's not so nice when it doesnt quite work out.

The university try their best to pair people up - they generally have science students together (because of the timetables, science have classes generally in the morning and arts in the afternoon), they don't pair smokers with non-smokers (but my room-mate lied so I was stuck with the smell of smoke), you're asked about your sleeping habits on the accomodation forms - don't think about your sleeping habits you have now, but the ones you're most likely to adopt when you reach uni. For example - can you see yourself going out all the time and sleeping in? Or are you of a studious nature?

It's really worthwhile to be as honest as possible on the forms. The university don't have personality profiles on everyone, so the only way they can pair people up is with that information.
Hey guys! Have got an offer to study Psychology at St.Andrews this year, and i know that we can't choose which hall we want, but I just wondered if some of the current students could possibly just say which they think are the best one's to get in to, taking into account distance, bedrooms, just everything tbh! Bearing in mind i'm looking for Catered accomodation as well...Hope everyone's having a nice easter break anyways and any comments would be much appreciated! (within reason!) :wink: x
Try searching the board a bit before you post.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=486619
I don't think there's a 'best' hall... what's best for an individual depends on what their priorities are and what their personality is like. The mini-guides in the thread that's been linked are a good starting point, and this map should be helpful.
So, for things like DRA or Albany, would I get paired with only students my own age (more like same year) or is there a mix.

Albany especially, I take it each little house has its own washer/drier?
JB Johnstone
So, for things like DRA or Albany, would I get paired with only students my own age (more like same year) or is there a mix.

Overall, yeah. I stayed with a first year in my third year, but she decided to stop commuting after the first semester and we had a JSA the first semester, so it made sense that she was given that room. In second year I stayed with a first year who was a friend of one of my other flatmates, but we specifically requested that. I don't think they would put a first year with non-first-years usually. Things can get more mixed up after first year.

Albany especially, I take it each little house has its own washer/drier?

I'm afraid not. There'll be a laundry building with swipe-card access and big washers/driers. A wash costs about £1.80 but you can get a lot in, and the driers cost £1 although you might not need to use them all year round.
It's not such a bad thing - you're not disturbed by a loud washing machine or drier, there's less direct competition, there's more space for other stuff in the house, and you're not relying on one machine working properly or being clean enough. I'd recommend getting a big plastic box or something similarly robust and easy to carry for taking your clothes to the laundry building.

In catered halls there is a laundry room rather than a separate building.
Do any of the halls have pianos? I think I read somewhere that one did >_>
And which one is closest to the music place?
BenjiButton

At least DRA and Sallies do, I'm almost dead certain Macintosh has one, and possibly regs.
BenjiButton

New Hall also has one (well a keyboard if you're fussy).

Sallies is literally right next to Younger hall, "the music place." Followed by Regs/McIntosh (2 mins).
Reply 393
I applied for ensuite catered accommodation as my first choice. Does anyone know what the likelihood is that I'll receive that? I feel that even though it's the most expensive option, it's also the most popular...and there aren't many rooms that have that combination, so I'm afraid it must be quite unlikely to receive it.. :s-smilie:
mlrchtr
I applied for ensuite catered accommodation as my first choice. Does anyone know what the likelihood is that I'll receive that? I feel that even though it's the most expensive option, it's also the most popular...and there aren't many rooms that have that combination, so I'm afraid it must be quite unlikely to receive it.. :s-smilie:

Single or shared?

I think the cost will help counterbalance the number of rooms - I think quite a lot of people deliberately try to avoid getting that kind of room because they'd rather not pay extra for it. I'd try not to worry about it too much, I don't think the chances are too badly against you.

May I ask where you were told it was the most popular option? I don't trust the university's data on this because I'm not convinced that they take cost into account. Ask a student if they'd like a double bed or a shower of their own and they'll probably say yes, tell them how much they'll have to pay for these things and they'll probably be less keen. The university has the motive of making good accommodation (for golfers and stuff - so double beds and en suites are good) and getting survey results from students can help or hinder this... so I take their survey results with a pinch tablespoon of salt.
Reply 395
ImperceptibleNinja
Single or shared?

I think the cost will help counterbalance the number of rooms - I think quite a lot of people deliberately try to avoid getting that kind of room because they'd rather not pay extra for it. I'd try not to worry about it too much, I don't think the chances are too badly against you.

May I ask where you were told it was the most popular option? I don't trust the university's data on this because I'm not convinced that they take cost into account. Ask a student if they'd like a double bed or a shower of their own and they'll probably say yes, tell them how much they'll have to pay for these things and they'll probably be less keen. The university has the motive of making good accommodation (for golfers and stuff - so double beds and en suites are good) and getting survey results from students can help or hinder this... so I take their survey results with a pinch tablespoon of salt.

I applied for single...

I didn't officially hear anywhere that it was the most popular option but I've spoken to quite a few people going there next year who really want catered ensuite as their first choice. but maybe they're the exception...

I've also heard on a couple of occasions that there are quite a few rather privileged students coming from elite British or US East Coast families...(that probably also contributed to my worry about the accommodation). How much truth is there to that?
Reply 396
Hi

I'm just wondering, in terms of warmth, is Albany Park warm in the winter? I've heard that DRA have underfloor heating? Is there any kind of table in the kitchen in Albany Park to sit at as I noticed on the Uni guide there is a mention of chairs but no mention of a table? Can the apartments become quite messy/dirty or is it not usualy a problem as long as everyone pulls their weight (easier said than done).

Thanks
KAH
Hi

I'm just wondering, in terms of warmth, is Albany Park warm in the winter? I've heard that DRA have underfloor heating? Is there any kind of table in the kitchen in Albany Park to sit at as I noticed on the Uni guide there is a mention of chairs but no mention of a table? Can the apartments become quite messy/dirty or is it not usualy a problem as long as everyone pulls their weight (easier said than done).

Thanks

I would guess it is similar to Fife Park - plenty of hours of heating in the winter, but the rooms probably won't hold the heat that well. Other people will be able to be more specific about that than me :smile: I recommend you bring warm clothes and maybe a blanket of your own if you have space.

There is a breakfast bar with chairs in the kitchen. You've got the living room and the study desks in your room, so it's no big deal unless you're a dinner party type.

How clean it stays depends a lot on the attitudes of the people who live there. I'd guess girls' houses are probably generally a bit cleaner than guys' houses, but I don't think there's a very consistent trend either way. If people pull their weight then I don't think it should be very difficult to keep the houses clean - the bathrooms and kitchens are quite new which should help and there's only so far wrong you can go with corridors (no... that sounds like too much of a challenge, I take it back)
KAH
Hi

Thanks

Albany Park can vary - it all depends on your house. My house is a warm one, so this winter, for example, I had my radiator on a grand total of about 10 times overnight - which is quite impressive considering the cold winter we had. But I do know some people find it cold - just take extra warm clothes in case - nothing a hot water bottle can't cure!

With regards to tables, we don't have a table, but there are stools and countertops so at least four people can sit in at a time. We also have a common room, so if you do want a big meal for everyone - not a problem.

Will only become messy if you and your flatmates are clean and tidy. Stand firm on this issue from the start and it won't become a problem.
ImperceptibleNinja
and there's only so far wrong you can go with corridors (no... that sounds like too much of a challenge, I take it back)

Too right - one of ours is terrible because SOMEONE is messy. Literally an overflow of room mess.

Latest

Trending

Trending