The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carter BSc
Ah, the hard work does start instantly it appears then. Once again, thank you, I'm sure that week will leave me plenty of room to manoeuvre a jagerbomb or two into.

Ofcourse :tongue:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 781
Original post by Ecosse_14
When did you firm your offer?
I can't remember exactly but you should probably wait (if you haven't already) to receive a letter/email from St Andrews which I THINK should have your matriculation number and things for you to set up a uni email account, although I can't really remember :tongue:

I didn't get my matric number and uni email account until after results...
Original post by Oh-WOW
I didn't get my matric number and uni email account until after results...

I've already said that I got my email on results day after meeting my conditions.
Reply 783
I've already said that I got my email on results day after meeting my conditions.

sorry, must have missed it.

And no, halls open on the 17th.

Boo. You're having a laugh :frown:

Cause my friends and I are planning a trip, around Italy in September, under the pretence that everything starts on the 19th. :erm:
Original post by spacepirate-James
Boo. You're having a laugh :frown:

Cause my friends and I are planning a trip, around Italy in September, under the pretence that everything starts on the 19th. :erm:

You can arive whenever you want :smile:
Reply 786
Helloo :3 Bit of an odd question, buut- what are the shared bathrooms/toilets like in halls? In both catered and non catered ones? Is it like school toilets with cubicles, or are there individual bathrooms...?
Original post by Kayak
Helloo :3 Bit of an odd question, buut- what are the shared bathrooms/toilets like in halls? In both catered and non catered ones? Is it like school toilets with cubicles, or are there individual bathrooms...?

This is also something I've been thinking about :tongue:
Reply 788
Oh, and also, I really really really (think that's enough really's now!) don't want to be sharing next year, but would like to be in standard catered, so I see my only real option is AM, however I was wondering whether emailing the accommodation people might make a difference (as I would rather put down St Regs or Chattan as my first choice, but I see most first year undergrads will be sharing in those)...? It's not just personal preference and me being pathetic- I have social anxiety, and I don't think I'd cope not having somewhere that was my own space to chill :smile:
Reply 789
Original post by Kayak

Can't speak for all halls here but in Uni hall, it's kind of both.
There are 3 parts of Uni hall. Lumsden, Old Wing and Wardlaw.
In Lumsden, there are 5 individual bathrooms with a shower, toilet and sink. and then there are two bathrooms with 2 shower cubilces, 2 toilet cubicles and 2 sinks. More like school bathrooms. but they are fine. not as good as individual ones but ok. the showers have like a little area in front of each one for your stuff and to get changed.
Old Wing is purely cubicles of showers and cubicles of toilets.
Wardlaw is indiviual bathrooms.
So really basically, it depends. but they're all fine.
Original post by Kayak

...Oh, and also, I really really really (think that's enough really's now!) don't want to be sharing next year, but would like to be in standard catered, so I see my only real option is AM, however I was wondering whether emailing the accommodation people might make a difference (as I would rather put down St Regs or Chattan as my first choice, but I see most first year undergrads will be sharing in those)...? It's not just personal preference and me being pathetic- I have social anxiety, and I don't think I'd cope not having somewhere that was my own space to chill

Again I can't talk for other halls, but in Regs our toilets are mainly small rooms just off the hall with an individual toilet and a sink. There is one place I know of in Regs, though there may be others on other floors, where there are rows of toilets - this is usually in shower rooms.

And honestly, in terms of accommodation if you want to live in a standard catered hall in a single room, just put that on your application form. What hall you live in doesn't really make a huge difference (unless you're in DRA because you're a fair bit out of town, or a catered and en suite hall because you'll be surrounded by posh people). Also, as far as I can tell Andrew Melville isn't really your only choice if you want a shared catered single room. I live in such a room myself right now in Regs :smile: If you want to live in Regs it's about half shared, half single rooms (but obviously more people share a room). But if you want to live in Albany (that's Chattan right? I've never heard anyone call it that in real life before...) that's self-catered.
Reply 791
Original post by fever skin
But if you want to live in Albany (that's Chattan right? I've never heard anyone call it that in real life before...) that's self-catered.

No, Chattan is MacIntosh, Albany is Gatty (I just looked that up, of course:tongue:).
Reply 792
Original post by Kayak
Oh, and also, I really really really (think that's enough really's now!) don't want to be sharing next year, but would like to be in standard catered, so I see my only real option is AM, however I was wondering whether emailing the accommodation people might make a difference (as I would rather put down St Regs or Chattan as my first choice, but I see most first year undergrads will be sharing in those)...? It's not just personal preference and me being pathetic- I have social anxiety, and I don't think I'd cope not having somewhere that was my own space to chill :smile:

Andrew Mellville isn't your only option. I'm in a single in uni hall. I would say that asking for a single standard catered, you have a pretty good chance of being in Uni Hall as there are loads of single rooms here.
A few questions:

Do you have to accept your offer before you apply for accom.?
If this offer is unconditional do you receive your hall before the May 31 deadline?
If you apply for standard, single, self-catered, will you definitely receive Fife Park or Albany?
I am in pretty much an exceptional financial circumstance, (I would imagine, relative to other people going to St As- could be completely wrong though!) with my parents making about a 1/3 of at a constant rate (although their job is prone to variation where there can be spikes in income) maybe not even that of some of the prices of other halls, which are not albany or fife park. Is there anyway that I am able to show this to to the accom. team or whoever allocate the halls :tongue:?
Of course I could and think I am getting a student loan, plus applying for scholarships, but I wonder if my circumstance will able me to be assured of getting these halls :smile: Plus would you advise adding a cheeky little preference at the bottom of the accom. form!
Original post by forgottensecret
A few questions:

If this offer is unconditional do you receive your hall before the May 31 deadline?
If you apply for standard, single, self-catered, will you definitely receive Fife Park or Albany?
I am in pretty much an exceptional financial circumstance, (I would imagine, relative to other people going to St As- could be completely wrong though!) with my parents making about a 1/3 of at a constant rate (although their job is prone to variation where there can be spikes in income) maybe not even that of some of the prices of other halls, which are not albany or fife park. Is there anyway that I am able to show this to to the accom. team or whoever allocate the halls :tongue:?
Of course I could and think I am getting a student loan, plus applying for scholarships, but I wonder if my circumstance will able me to be assured of getting these halls :smile: Plus would you advise adding a cheeky little preference at the bottom of the accom. form!

I wish I could tell you that your circumstances would guarantee you the cheap accommodation, but I've seen so many people here who've put that they want FP/AP for financial reasons and been given DRA (ridiculous I know), and I'm pretty sure FP is closed to freshers this year. There are supposed to be bursaries starting for students who can't afford the accommodation prices, but I'm not clear on how they're going to work, the only thing I've read about that is here

http://yourunion.net/news/index.php?page=article&news_id=228953
A few questions:

1) Yes, I thinkso
2) Um, I'm trying to think back here. Maybe not to give everyone a fair chance. If not, then you'll defo get it in June.
3) No, Albany and FP are popular choices and LOADS of people get rejected from there. As said above, I'm not sure FP is open to freshers. You really need to stress financial reasons if you want a chance of living there.
4) Put in the additional info/write a wee note on the email when you send your accomm form in that you have these financial issues and therefore really need to get the cheaper accommodation.

When I applied last year everyone was saying not to say a preference on the form as it sort of annoys the accomm people. I put on a preference giving reasons (financial and otherwise) and am now in the place I wanted so it's up to you.
A few questions:

It's unfortunate, there are so few cheap halls that for AP they had to do a ballot of people who applied for financial reasons this year. One girl I know (who literally cannot afford anywhere else and might possibly have to drop out if she doesn't get in to Albany or Fife) got rejected, and Accommodation/Student Services don't seem to be being very helpful. Makes me feel guilty I got in :frown:
Original post by la_banane_verte

1) .

Thanks a lot guys :biggrin:

Original post by Bella_trixxx
It's unfortunate, there are so few cheap halls that for AP they had to do a ballot of people who applied for financial reasons this year. One girl I know (who literally cannot afford anywhere else and might possibly have to drop out if she doesn't get in to Albany or Fife) got rejected, and Accommodation/Student Services don't seem to be being very helpful. Makes me feel guilty I got in :frown:

Did you happen to add a preference at the accom. form or was it just luck of the draw :smile:?
Thanks a lot guys :biggrin:

Did you happen to add a preference at the accom. form or was it just luck of the draw :smile:?

Oh, I'm a returning student so I applied directly to Albany. No harm in adding a preference though :smile:
Haha someone's eager :tongue:
I just checked my old emails (I like to save ones that are awesome :wink:) and my student ID number/my email username came in an email although because I had a conditional I got that on results day when I met my conditions. You'll probably get an email sometime soon :smile:

Hey, I also have a conditional, so was wondering when I'd be likely to get my ID number? The deadline for replying for accommodation is before my results day :s-smilie:

Also, are things exactly the same for me as St Andrews is only my insurance? Or do I not even bother with accommodation at all/right now? I'm slightly confused.

Latest

Trending

Trending