The Student Room Group

Are there any supplements that actually work?

I'm a neo-pro and know quite a bit about fitness, but apart from Creatine which actually has good background research, all the supplements out there are either non-essential/unnecessary (L Glutamine, branch chains and all that stuff) or just stupid (like protein powders). What supplements do you guys use? Most of the supplements out there are just overhyped by adverts for people who don't know anything. Of course all of these things are minuscule if you're a professional on TUEs but I thought I'd make this thread
How are protein powders stupid, exactly?
Reply 2
I use super male vitality and it works
Protein powders are not stupid, but they are not needed by everyone. If you're a meat eater who doesn't do much exercise you almost certainly get plenty of protein from your diet and protein shakes will be a waste of money. But for someone like me, who does a lot of exercise and is vegetarian, I need protein shakes to hit my daily protein goals. So they are definitely worth getting if you need them. But you need to get decent quality protein powders.

I have used creatine and it gave me digestive troubles. I took 5 g a day for a week and had to stop. It sucked because I know there is some good evidence that it can be beneficial, but it just didn't agree with me. So if you can stomach it then it's worth taking (though probably not every day, I think a lot of people cycle on and off it).

There are loads of other things that may or may not be beneficial (and are often found in a pre-workout). Citrulline has been shown to improve muscle endurance, etc. This article is worth a read: https://legionathletics.com/pre-workout-supplements/
Just use whey protein, ZMAs and Creatine. When I started using ZMAs, I grew like a weed and my lifts all doubled.
The only things that 100 % work are protein and creatine.
Reply 6
Bemass helps me. I prefer to buy readymade complexes to avoid worrying myself with choosing the right ingredients.
Testalot is quite good as well, even though it acts a bit differently. But, if you want to grow muscles, this is exactly what you need.
Some of the toughest guys on the planet. Who would work at very hard labour were the Irish Navi's. They dug canals and then build dams and went on to lay railroads. They were fed on meat. Of course their fitness levels were increased so that they could work at some of the hardest work going at the time. Not to stand around looking in a mirror.
Creatine is the most studied supplement, and has been proven to work, even if it is just a little.

Unfortunately, creatine can have some side-effects. It made my acne so damn bad, so I stopped taking it.

Fortunately, I have not noticed any significant drop in my strength :smile:

Matticus, REPS Level 3 Personal Trainer, http://www.youtube.com/c/MatticusC_1996
My husband is skinny..he is 5.8", 112lbs weight and he is in 27 now.3 month ago he started the workout at the gym.befor 1 month he started to take two protein that is creatine another is serious mass.he told me that creatine is for energy and this good protein .before buying this he studied about supplement.he told me creatine is one of the best protein for energy and serious mass is for muscle building.
ashwagandha.

scientifically proven to lower cortisol by up to 40% over a 1-2 month period.

cortisol (stress hormone) is a testosterone antagonist.

lower cortisol = more free T.
I am newbie here. I also would like to know about supplements which works. Thanks!
Original post by Reveldo99
I am newbie here. I also would like to know about supplements which works. Thanks!

Protein powder to ensure you get enough protein in. Min would roughly be 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight

Potentially some fish oil tablets and a multi-vitamin

That’s it.

Creatine is debatable, great for a plateau but as a beginner if you stall then it’s either: lack of calories/overall diet, poor sleep, poor training frequency and/or training quality
Reply 14
Creatine definitely has the best research behind it, wouldn't protein say is stupid? It can be a great addition to support your protein intake for your daily macros. Multi's vits and fish oil are great, mass gainers also defintely help if you can't eat the calories.

I found a good article on BCAAs; but you should be able to get sufficient out of your daily diet or you're not eating right
I use muscle tech whey protein and ON multivitamins for men. And its working fine till now and i am happy with it.

Latest