The Student Room Group

Supplements for energy, late nights

Hey guys, I’m a mature student thinking of doing my master’s in the UK at some point. Was wondering what kind of supplements (if any) you all take for energy and late nights?

So far, I’ve been really liking Tongkat Ali. Suffice to say, it’s helped keep me up and going in more than one way hahaha. The stuff’s been a godsend for motivation at the gym too. Plus, I do drink a lot when out and about, so it definitely helps with wretched mornings.

Do you guys take anything to give you an extra edge?
Reply 1
I don't really have to stay up late to do something nowadays, but when I needed I used caffeine (either lot's of coffee or 1-2 cans of energy drinks a day).
Reply 2
Original post by Kathy89
I don't really have to stay up late to do something nowadays, but when I needed I used caffeine (either lot's of coffee or 1-2 cans of energy drinks a day).

Caffeine is great, but too much and I just get jittery and anxious. Only one morning coffee for me these days 😆
Reply 3
Original post by LexK
Caffeine is great, but too much and I just get jittery and anxious. Only one morning coffee for me these days 😆

Yeah, it works different for different people. I have a low blood pressure and it works well with my hormones and brain so it works fine for me. I know people who get really bad side effects of it. When I was a working student I pretty much lived of caffeine and sugar in any form. I know it's bad but it was the only way to keep up with 4 hours of sleep 5 days a week.

I have tried some supplements later in life, they might be healthier, but they aren't as effective as energy drinks (at least not for me).
Reply 4
Original post by Kathy89
Yeah, it works different for different people. I have a low blood pressure and it works well with my hormones and brain so it works fine for me. I know people who get really bad side effects of it. When I was a working student I pretty much lived of caffeine and sugar in any form. I know it's bad but it was the only way to keep up with 4 hours of sleep 5 days a week.

I have tried some supplements later in life, they might be healthier, but they aren't as effective as energy drinks (at least not for me).

True that! Caffeine and sugar are amazing for a short burst of energy. Nothing like a bag of Haribo for a tasty buzz too. I’ve got a huge sweet tooth for gummies and chewy sweets in general 😆

I found Tongkat Ali around age 30 and it’s been great so far. Helps keep my mood up, energy, and even as a boost for my workouts. It’s like a traditional medicine where I come from in its raw form, but science has come a long way with extracting the best bits out of it. It’s also popular as a coffee:
Reply 5
Tea might work better for you if you get jittery/anxious from coffee - it gives a much slower and more steady energy peak, in my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest