The Student Room Group

Auditory Processing Disorder at University

(edited 3 years ago)
Hello, I don't know anything about it other than a google search just now. But, would getting a scribe/amanuensis help? Or what about recording your lectures?
First of all, well done for getting as far as you have. APD is not always well understood but can have severe effects (I know someone that has it). I second the above poster's advice: try taping lessons (see if your college will let you do this next year - then you will know pretty quickly whether it is helpful).
For university, I would think you would be entitled to DSA but you would need to make sure you meet the criteria:
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview You could get a scribe if you are assessed as needing one, or other support if that would be more suitable.
If you have an idea about which universities you are interested in, contact their student services/disability services and ask what support they could hypothetically offer. For example: http://www.dso.manchester.ac.uk/ (I'm not suggesting you go to Manchester; it's just an example). If you get a supportive department it can make all the difference.
Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DystopiaisReal
My school won't support me, as my end of year grades are reasonable - meeting the results status quo is all they care about.

Are they aware that by law (Equalities Act 2010) they have to? They can't ;pick and choose who they support.
Original post by DystopiaisReal
Has anyone else with APD found a way to cope with university level study? Do you think that APD has had/ will have a detrimental impact on your final degree? Has your university offered any sort of support with it?

Thanks for any responses.

Hiya!

In addition to all the good advice and points that have been raised already, I'd just like to reassure you that it *can* be done. I don't have an official diagnosis of APD because mine is a rather complicated case (I fit all the symptoms of APD but pass all the hearing tests, as I'm a trained musician. So even though I have hearing problems, I can compensate for that well on hearing tests :erm: ). I was sent to the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery and though the consultant there couldn't/wouldn't say anything for definite, she did concede that I appear to have all the symptoms of APD.

As I didn't have an official diagnosis and these things were still under investigation throughout my undergrad degree, I never thought about getting any support for it. I muddled through my music degree (!) without any official help. It was quite challenging at times, dealing with softly-spoken lecturers or lectures in boomy halls, or people who had foreign accents (as awful as that sounds, I do really struggle understanding most people from overseas :s-smilie: ). The main thing that was affected was my violin playing. After years of trying to struggle to tune my own violin or tune other people's violins, I've had to put my violin playing days to one side, probably permanently :frown: Also there are some things that, even on the best speakers, I can't hear in a lecture hall. Like bass drums sometimes for example, or bass guitars :colondollar:

Even without having a diagnosis or official help in place, I found people were quite willing (once I explained that I wasn't being rude!) to repeat things, speak slower or more pronounced sentences, etc. I just wanted to write a little about my experiences to show you that it can be done :biggrin: Since you have an official diagnosis, I imagine you'd be eligible for proper/official support from your uni, as well as DSA, as mentioned above.

Wishing you all the very best of luck. Just be honest with people about your hearing - you'll find most people are willing to make adjustments and to help (in my experience, at least) :yep:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hiya!

In addition to all the good advice and points that have been raised already, I'd just like to reassure you that it *can* be done. I don't have an official diagnosis of APD because mine is a rather complicated case (I fit all the symptoms of APD but pass all the hearing tests, as I'm a trained musician. So even though I have hearing problems, I can compensate for that well on hearing tests :erm: ). I was sent to the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery and though the consultant there couldn't/wouldn't say anything for definite, she did concede that I appear to have all the symptoms of APD.

As I didn't have an official diagnosis and these things were still under investigation throughout my undergrad degree, I never thought about getting any support for it. I muddled through my music degree (!) without any official help. It was quite challenging at times, dealing with softly-spoken lecturers or lectures in boomy halls, or people who had foreign accents (as awful as that sounds, I do really struggle understanding most people from overseas :s-smilie: ). The main thing that was affected was my violin playing. After years of trying to struggle to tune my own violin or tune other people's violins, I've had to put my violin playing days to one side, probably permanently :frown: Also there are some things that, even on the best speakers, I can't hear in a lecture hall. Like bass drums sometimes for example, or bass guitars :colondollar:

Even without having a diagnosis or official help in place, I found people were quite willing (once I explained that I wasn't being rude!) to repeat things, speak slower or more pronounced sentences, etc. I just wanted to write a little about my experiences to show you that it can be done :biggrin: Since you have an official diagnosis, I imagine you'd be eligible for proper/official support from your uni, as well as DSA, as mentioned above.

Wishing you all the very best of luck. Just be honest with people about your hearing - you'll find most people are willing to make adjustments and to help (in my experience, at least) :yep:

You have to pass hearing tests before you can get tested for APD. My son had to pass a hearing test before being referred to GOSH where he was diagnosed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending