The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to cope with the sheer amount of A-Level content?

For reference I take biology, chemistry and psychology.
I love my subjects and I really enjoy being in school but I am really struggling with the amount of content being taught in such a short amount of time. It feels like I'm being overloaded with way too much information and it's affecting my grades and honestly my mental wellbeing.
I just feel like everything is going way too fast and I'm struggling to keep up. I end up leaving half my lessons in tears because I'm so overwhelmed. I suspect that I am autistic and am in the process of getting assessed and have my last appointment at the end of this month, so I should know for definite by then but I am pretty certain.
I've told my teachers and additional support staff about this but I don't think there's much that can be done because they need to teach the content in a certain amount of time and they can't slow everyone else down because of one student.
I've been losing sleep re teaching myself lessons because it goes too fast for me to comprehend.
Has anybody been feeling like this and has anyone got any advice on how to keep on top of everything?
Original post by nucleus
For reference I take biology, chemistry and psychology.
I love my subjects and I really enjoy being in school but I am really struggling with the amount of content being taught in such a short amount of time. It feels like I'm being overloaded with way too much information and it's affecting my grades and honestly my mental wellbeing.
I just feel like everything is going way too fast and I'm struggling to keep up. I end up leaving half my lessons in tears because I'm so overwhelmed. I suspect that I am autistic and am in the process of getting assessed and have my last appointment at the end of this month, so I should know for definite by then but I am pretty certain.
I've told my teachers and additional support staff about this but I don't think there's much that can be done because they need to teach the content in a certain amount of time and they can't slow everyone else down because of one student.
I've been losing sleep re teaching myself lessons because it goes too fast for me to comprehend.
Has anybody been feeling like this and has anyone got any advice on how to keep on top of everything?

It might be that your teacher can make minor changes to accommodate you, once your assessment(s) are complete and everyone knows where they stand.

I know someone who has issues with "auditory processing". They can hear perfectly well, but their ability to "absorb" verbal information is below average. So a teacher who just stands at the front of the class and spends 10 minutes explaining something might as well not be there at all. Once this weakness was established, their teachers were encouraged to provide information in hand-outs or on-screen too. They'd still stand there for 10 minutes explaining, but students could also follow what they were saying in written form too, and somehow that made it easier to digest.

As you can tell from this weak explanation, I'm a bit vague on the details! Anyway, you might find that you don't need your teachers to slow down (which would impact the rest of the class); you might just need them to modify their teaching style slightly. Hopefully all will become clearer at the end of the month.

Quick Reply

Latest