The Student Room Group

natural science course without bio??...

hi guys...

for some strange reason (duno why), i did not take biology a level this year and took, maths, further maths, phy and chem instead. and i wanted to do natural science at Cambridge, would this affect my ability to study the course or more importantly, affect my chance of being offered??

im a bit worried at the moment, im sure they bound to ask why i didnt take it, wish i did, but i wont go back now....

furthermore, what about medicine course??? thanks...:biggrin:
Reply 1
Erm, you know there is Natural Science (Physical)? You don't need Biology at all to take that, as long as you don't mistakenly apply for Natural Science (Biological) you'll be fine.
Depends if you want to do Natsci Bio or Natsci Physical, and even for the former you don't need Biology A level.
You can take the course, as its split between biological natural sciences and physical natural sciences. But I think the first year requires you to take some bio topics.

Someone stated on here that they no someone without bio studying med at Cambridge.
Reply 4
i know, but some of the things like neurology and evlution sounds really interesting...
again, my bad...
Reply 5
One of my friends did exactly the same as you for A-level without doing biology, and applied for Nat Scie to Cambridge and got in. He is doing Chemistry/Physics and materials there now in his second year, so I can say that not taking biology shouldnt affect your chances - there is always some choice as to what you can study when you are there.
With regards to medicine, Im not so sure.
Reply 6
Not taking Biology will not affect whether you get in or not- you apply for Physical Natrual Sciences and they know what subjects you do so won't ask you about DNA or ecology or anything nasty like that. If you get in, you will be able to do a biological subject if you want (be warned, you will probably struggle) but there is no prerequisite that you do a bio subject. If you don't do a bio, you have your pick of Chemistry, Physics, Geology or Materials & Minerals. Plus you do a Maths course. I have friends that did all Biological, friends that did all Physical and some that did a mix, including myself. Also, one friend did Cells without even doing GCSE Biology, and one that did Physiology without the A Level. Both struggled quite a lot. So it is doable, but think hard about it!
Reply 7
thanks ! i will thknk hard about it im sure...(if only i can get in) what collegdge are u in guys?
Reply 8
Also, consider the fact that if you're applying for the physicsy/chemistry side of things they'd want you to have physics and chemistry A-levels obviously, and are very keen on maths and further maths. They can hardly expect you to take five A levels. :smile:
Reply 9
*Joanna*
Not taking Biology will not affect whether you get in or not- you apply for Physical Natrual Sciences and they know what subjects you do so won't ask you about DNA or ecology or anything nasty like that. If you get in, you will be able to do a biological subject if you want (be warned, you will probably struggle) but there is no prerequisite that you do a bio subject. If you don't do a bio, you have your pick of Chemistry, Physics, Geology or Materials & Minerals. Plus you do a Maths course. I have friends that did all Biological, friends that did all Physical and some that did a mix, including myself. Also, one friend did Cells without even doing GCSE Biology, and one that did Physiology without the A Level. Both struggled quite a lot. So it is doable, but think hard about it!

:eek: I am currently doing cells and only have Biology to AS level and am finding it rediculously tough. THey advertise it as some course that is basically chemistry with some biological application almost, when it's nothing like that at all so you have loads of Phys Natscis like myself taking it and doing really badly. Alot of the Phys Natscis I've spoken to in the year above who took the course got 3rds in it, so I've pretty much given up on getting a good grade overall this year :p: :frown:
Reply 10
Nichrome
:eek: I am currently doing cells and only have Biology to AS level and am finding it rediculously tough. THey advertise it as some course that is basically chemistry with some biological application almost, when it's nothing like that at all so you have loads of Phys Natscis like myself taking it and doing really badly. Alot of the Phys Natscis I've spoken to in the year above who took the course got 3rds in it, so I've pretty much given up on getting a good grade overall this year :p: :frown:

Wouldn't worry too much- I was mostly a Bio NatSci in year 1, did do Biology A Level and still got a 2.2. It's a horrible course!
Reply 11
My Phys Nat Sci friend doing Cells is struggling a fair bit with it as well and I don't think she has anything other than GCSE Biology, it certainly seems to have been a mistake taking it and she'll be dropping it asap.
Reply 12
At my interview I asked the Director of Studies if me taking Human Biology and not Biology would matter or disadvantage me at all [I want to do Bio NatSci]. He said it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Even if I didn't have Biology at all it wouldn't matter too much. The important one to have is Chemistry.
Reply 13
One of my friends is a Bio NatSci, and he didn't do Biology at A level... =)

Latest

Trending

Trending