The Student Room Group

Biology Revision Tips/Help

I was wondering how I can study and remember everything in A level Biology (OCR). What techniques or methods are good?
So I was on AQA last year but same thing really. So I wrote out all my notes, made flash cards for every long answer question in the last ten years and memorised them over the course of a couple months- this alone helped me to learn all the content. With A-Levels especially biology it’s not even about your knowledge, it’s about being able to write the keywords they so strongly desire. I did an odd mind map or poster on the stuff I found more difficult and came out with an A*. Honestly though the flash cards are a lifesaver- often under appreciated, get your parent/guardian to test you also and you’ll have it down in no time! 😊
Reply 2
Original post by Stargaryen2704
So I was on AQA last year but same thing really. So I wrote out all my notes, made flash cards for every long answer question in the last ten years and memorised them over the course of a couple months- this alone helped me to learn all the content. With A-Levels especially biology it’s not even about your knowledge, it’s about being able to write the keywords they so strongly desire. I did an odd mind map or poster on the stuff I found more difficult and came out with an A*. Honestly though the flash cards are a lifesaver- often under appreciated, get your parent/guardian to test you also and you’ll have it down in no time! 😊

What would I write on the flash cards? Could you give me an example plz.
Anyone do IAL edexcel biology
textbook and past papers.

Were you on the new spec when using past papers? I'm on the new spec and i just find past papers annoying since it's all based on the old spec..
Original post by dfg4
Were you on the new spec when using past papers? I'm on the new spec and i just find past papers annoying since it's all based on the old spec..

Yeah I was on new spec so had even less past papers than you! For AS do your biol1,2,3 papers (old spec) the paper 3’s and 6’s are really good because they assess practical, for A2 do all the biol4 and 5 past papers, if you do them all 2/3 times before the exam you’ll ace it!
Original post by asohibn
What would I write on the flash cards? Could you give me an example plz.

So on one side I’d maybe write “Describe And explain Phagocytosis (5)”

Then on the other side I’d just bullet point the mark scheme;
•Phagocyte recognises pathogen due to foreign antigens and chemical signals
•phagocyte engulfs pathogen
•forming phagocytic vacuole
•lysosomes containing digestive enzymes lysozyme fuse with the phagocytic vacuoles
•lysozymes hydrolyse pathogen
•phagocyte displays pathogen antigens on cell surface to act as antigen presenting cell and trigger an immune response
Yeah I was on new spec so had even less past papers than you! For AS do your biol1,2,3 papers (old spec) the paper 3’s and 6’s are really good because they assess practical, for A2 do all the biol4 and 5 past papers, if you do them all 2/3 times before the exam you’ll ace it!

No lol I'm retaking my A levels as a private candidate since i didnt do well.. I didn't use any past papers though
Wait to you used all the old past papers for bio?
Original post by dfg4
No lol I'm retaking my A levels as a private candidate since i didnt do well.. I didn't use any past papers though
Wait to you used all the old past papers for bio?

Mate past papers are the best way to revise, after you know the content past papers should be the ONLY thing you’re doing, over and over again until you learn the markscheme style and how they want you to answer the questions
Original post by asohibn
I was wondering how I can study and remember everything in A level Biology (OCR). What techniques or methods are good?

Got an A in OCR biology new spec last year. In summary, you need to know the content flawlessly. I remember a point where I could recite all of respiration in 5 minute and had enough detail of the book. Of course the other half is application, which can be practiced through past papers
Reply 11
Mate past papers are the best way to revise, after you know the content past papers should be the ONLY thing you’re doing, over and over again until you learn the markscheme style and how they want you to answer the questions

did you do the new spec AQA?
Original post by mda2
did you do the new spec AQA?

Yup

Quick Reply

Latest