The Student Room Group

Train fares to rise, biggest rise since 2013

Scroll to see replies

you pay nothing if you rideon top of train
Of course it's fair unless you believe subsidies should grow so those not using the services pay instead of those who do

There is also the massive issue with being the first to have railways and that is that the network cannot really keep up with the booming demand given so much is of Victorian construction, improvements are needed and they aren't cheap, these investments represent the biggest cost and are only going to get more expensive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Not fair, not fair at all.

Why? The train fares increase, but it doesn't really improve anything unless you are going straight from a big city to another big city, and don't want to stop at any of the smaller stations.

Those that use the smaller stations, such as myself, will feel completely ripped off.

I use the Midland Mainline on a regular basis. The smaller stations, such as Wellingborough, Kettering, Bedford and Luton Airport, only have 1 train per hour to the North (to stations such as Leicester, Loughborough, Nottingham), and require a change at Leicester to places such as Sheffield, Derby, Lincoln etc. Luton customers have no through trains to the North (unless they want to go to Corby) and must change at Bedford, Wellingborough or Kettering to go further north.

On the journey south, the 1 through train per hour (departing Leicester at xx:32) is very busy, especially during peak periods, when standing room is the only option between Leicester - Kettering (at the very least). It is only 4 or 5 coaches long, and should be much longer to accommodate the amount of passengers that require this train. 1.5 coaches of this 5 coach allowance is "1st Class" - which is almost always nearly completely empty due to the inflated/ridiculous/ludicrous prices that are already being charged for 1st Class. (On a typical Wellingborough - Leicester journey, for a university student with a 16-25 railcard, 1st Class is 2.5 times the cost of a Standard Class ticket.)

Some of the interchanges are very poor currently - for example, anyone wishing to travel from Corby to north of Kettering (i.e. Mkt Harborough/Leicester/Nottingham etc) must wait for 58 minutes at Kettering. Similarly, travelling south, the connection time is very tight and any delays on the xx:32 (from Leicester) of over 6 minutes (by the time it reaches Kettering) results in a missed connection, and a comparable wait time.
Further, anyone wishing to travel from south of Market Harborough (except London, of course) to East Midlands Parkway has to wait for close to 40 minutes at Leicester. These wait times for connecting trains are very poor.

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that East Midlands Trains charge £4 per journey for Wi-Fi, and that you can't get a phone signal in the trains due to the reflective coating in the windows.

So, based on the above, is it fair that train tickets are going to go up again? Absolutely not - in fact, they should go DOWN, not up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Considering these train companies are subsidised to the hilt by us as tax payers already this is at best a slap in the face, at worst a cause to fire bomb their offices.
The fact I can fly to Macedonia and back twice for less than it costs to get the train into London is frankly offensive, especially as the quality of service is one of the worst in the world.
Original post by Napp
Considering these train companies are subsidised to the hilt by us as tax payers already this is at best a slap in the face, at worst a cause to fire bomb their offices.
The fact I can fly to Macedonia and back twice for less than it costs to get the train into London is frankly offensive, especially as the quality of service is one of the worst in the world.

Not actually true, the way subsidies work mean that as a collective the TOCs are actually paying the government (commuter routes generally get subsidised but they're more than offset by the mainlines). The vast majority of the subsidy goes to the state owned network rail with TfL also receiving IIRC 700m.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jammy Duel
Not actually true, the way subsidies work mean that as a collective the TOCs are actually paying the government (commuter routes generally get subsidised but they're more than offset by the mainlines). The vast majority of the subsidy goes to the state owned network rail with TfL also receiving IIRC 700m.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest do you have any links to support these claims, its not that i doubt you but i wouldn't mind reading up on the matter)

I think the salient point though is given the abysmal state of rail services in the UK why on earth should people be press-ganged into paying higher ticket prices for absolutely no determinable benefit? Especially when half of the money goes to pay shareholders undeserved dividends.
It's time to re-nationalize the railways.
Original post by Napp

I agree that trains are expensive but why are you surprised it is cheaper to fly? All you need to fly is a plane, two pilots a cabin staff or two and a subscription to air traffic control. Tains require massive infrastructure that must be maintained at the most expensive time of day and a workforce of expensive signallers to keep things running.
Does this mean there won't be any strikes (my train was affected by a strike last time and there's another this weekend) and my train will actually be on time?
This is a good thing - because of immigration our trains are massively overcrowded, hopefully this will force people to consider alternative transport and free up some space for the rest of us.
Original post by spotify95
Not fair, not fair at all.

Why? The train fares increase, but it doesn't really improve anything unless you are going straight from a big city to another big city, and don't want to stop at any of the smaller stations.

Those that use the smaller stations, such as myself, will feel completely ripped off.

I use the Midland Mainline on a regular basis. The smaller stations, such as Wellingborough, Kettering, Bedford and Luton Airport, only have 1 train per hour to the North (to stations such as Leicester, Loughborough, Nottingham), and require a change at Leicester to places such as Sheffield, Derby, Lincoln etc. Luton customers have no through trains to the North (unless they want to go to Corby) and must change at Bedford, Wellingborough or Kettering to go further north.

On the journey south, the 1 through train per hour (departing Leicester at xx:32) is very busy, especially during peak periods, when standing room is the only option between Leicester - Kettering (at the very least). It is only 4 or 5 coaches long, and should be much longer to accommodate the amount of passengers that require this train. 1.5 coaches of this 5 coach allowance is "1st Class" - which is almost always nearly completely empty due to the inflated/ridiculous/ludicrous prices that are already being charged for 1st Class. (On a typical Wellingborough - Leicester journey, for a university student with a 16-25 railcard, 1st Class is 2.5 times the cost of a Standard Class ticket.)

Some of the interchanges are very poor currently - for example, anyone wishing to travel from Corby to north of Kettering (i.e. Mkt Harborough/Leicester/Nottingham etc) must wait for 58 minutes at Kettering. Similarly, travelling south, the connection time is very tight and any delays on the xx:32 (from Leicester) of over 6 minutes (by the time it reaches Kettering) results in a missed connection, and a comparable wait time.
Further, anyone wishing to travel from south of Market Harborough (except London, of course) to East Midlands Parkway has to wait for close to 40 minutes at Leicester. These wait times for connecting trains are very poor.

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that East Midlands Trains charge £4 per journey for Wi-Fi, and that you can't get a phone signal in the trains due to the reflective coating in the windows.

So, based on the above, is it fair that train tickets are going to go up again? Absolutely not - in fact, they should go DOWN, not up.

Various companies reprint historic rail timetables. If you look at one you will see that the train service is the best it has ever been. There are few places where the number of train services is not at an historic high.

You have card that takes a third off the cost of a standard ticket and you complain that the cost difference between your discounted standard class ticket and the full price first class ticket is too high.

If prices went down, who would pay for the service improvements you desire, the magic money fairy?
Original post by nulli tertius
Various companies reprint historic rail timetables. If you look at one you will see that the train service is the best it has ever been. There are few places where the number of train services is not at an historic high.

You have card that takes a third off the cost of a standard ticket and you complain that the cost difference between your discounted standard class ticket and the full price first class ticket is too high.

If prices went down, who would pay for the service improvements you desire, the magic money fairy?

I believe that my area is one of those places where the number of services is not at a high and/or good enough.

A few years ago, there used to be a lot more stopping services on smaller station such as Wellingborough - now, there is only one train per hour going north, and another one train per hour going to Corby.
Further, the consultation for the next franchise (in 2019) actually proposes for services to be reduced further - how can this be "the best it has ever been"?
I suppose it is the best it has ever been if you want to go directly from London to Leicester, Sheffield, Derby and Nottingham?

I asked at the counter if they did 1st Class tickets for 16-25 railcards and they do not, so that was the only comparison I could make. But even a full cost ticket, at £21 - what do you get for this extra £12 or £13, by going to 1st Class? The guarantee of a seat on peak period trains?

I don't expect the magic money fairy to pay for improvements - what I don't expect is for the train operators to hike the prices up year by year, and then profiteer out of the increased revenue? Because they don't seem to be doing much in my area - unless you call adding a second track on the slow line an "improvement", which is pointless when virtually none of the trains actually use the slower lines to increase capacity, and therefore reduce overcrowding (especially so when the slow line only carries a goods train every hour or two).

If they actually wanted to make improvements worth paying for, it would be to electrify the entire line, from St Pancras to Nottingham/Sheffield etc, then get rid of the current diesel trains and use efficient, electric trains, which would be longer and carry more passengers/more capacity - and with the use of solar panels/turbines etc, would have less of an impact on our environment.
Original post by Napp
Out of interest do you have any links to support these claims, its not that i doubt you but i wouldn't mind reading up on the matter)

I think the salient point though is given the abysmal state of rail services in the UK why on earth should people be press-ganged into paying higher ticket prices for absolutely no determinable benefit? Especially when half of the money goes to pay shareholders undeserved dividends.

Again, more falsehoods, only 3% of revenues end up as profits so half clearly doesn't go to shareholders, in fact investment and wages make up a fair bit over 50%. As for the abysmal state it isn't actually something corroborated in user satisfaction which is among the highest in Europe

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/flash/fl_382a_sum_en.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjWjtf2v_XXAhWFHsAKHX4HCRsQFgg2MAA&usg=AOvVaw0FVHilg587LOTLWAiQ8MaX

As for the cash flows

http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-stats/uk-rail-industry-financial-information/gb-rail-industry-financial-information-2014-15

And here is the latest report which is a little more detailed.

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/25757/rail-finance-statistical-release-2016-17.pdf

As you can see in 2016 the performance premium (basically being charged for doing better than expected) outweighed subsidies (paid when not doing as well as expected, except in the first three years where they are not paid) by £800m
Reply 14
Original post by Jammy Duel
Again, more falsehoods, only 3% of revenues end up as profits so half clearly doesn't go to shareholders, in fact investment and wages make up a fair bit over 50%. As for the abysmal state it isn't actually something corroborated in user satisfaction which is among the highest in Europe

I said half in a flippant manner, try not to take it so literally.
With all due respect though I find that hard to believe, the state of the rails where I live is diabolical. the chances of a train arriving on time and leaving on time is akin to winning the lottery every week for life. Not to mention the constant train breakdowns, the failure to electrify the line, constant signal faults etc. etc. etc. To say that the rail franchises, in general, are anything but coasting [at best] is fallacious.

As you can see in 2016 the performance premium (basically being charged for doing better than expected) outweighed subsidies (paid when not doing as well as expected, except in the first three years where they are not paid) by £800m

As to the links, thanks. I will give them a read this evening.
I'm not sure paying someone for not doing as badly as they could have is a very good metric to go by...
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek
I agree that trains are expensive but why are you surprised it is cheaper to fly? All you need to fly is a plane, two pilots a cabin staff or two and a subscription to air traffic control. Tains require massive infrastructure that must be maintained at the most expensive time of day and a workforce of expensive signallers to keep things running.

Last time i checked planes require billions of pounds of investment in terms of airframes , airports, runways, taxes, fuel etc. etc. Whilst trains require infrastructure as well, to my knowledge, that is still all owned by the state through NetworkRail such as the tracks and service vehicles. With that being the case why should one pay more for it when it's already funded by the tax payer..?
Original post by Napp
Last time i checked planes require billions of pounds of investment in terms of airframes , airports, runways, taxes, fuel etc. etc. Whilst trains require infrastructure as well, to my knowledge, that is still all owned by the state through NetworkRail such as the tracks and service vehicles. With that being the case why should one pay more for it when it's already funded by the tax payer..?

This is indeed true. And out local airport (Manchester) is owned by the councils of Greater Manchester. Other airports are former air bases or government owned airports that were privatised so you might say they were originally subsidised by the government. And the government do subsidise air travel by not charging VAT on tickets.

Either way, if you take investment out of the equation, running trains is so much more expensive. You or I could charter a plane tomorrow with very little investment money and start selling tickets. We could not set up our own train company up.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
It's time to re-nationalize the railways.

No it's not time.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
No it's not time.

Okay answer this simple question would you. Why is it better to send hundreds of millions of pounds to foreign governments for running our railways, rather than into our own treasury?
Original post by Napp

Airlines don't actually spend much on the planes, a massive portion are leased (all trains must be leased) but for Ryanair only about 2% of revenues go towards the rentals compared to 11% for the railway. Similarly staffing costs are lower 9% vs 25%. Maintenance for Ryanair is 2.4% vs 22% train and track maintenance for the railways. Obviously fuel is cheaper for the trains, 4% vs 35%. Airport and route charges for Ryanair are combined about 22%, I suppose the closet comparison for the railways would be their infrastructure investments of 26% of revenue. The pre tax profit margin is 6 times higher for Ryanair, 17.4% vs 3% for the railways.

Flying is cheaper ultimately because the infrastructure they require while traveling is cheap, just a few servers, some radar, and an office effectively rather than hundreds of miles of parallel metal rails that need maintaining.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending