The Student Room Group

Publishing Industry - Rise of AudioBooks

How can be combat the rise of audio books within the publishing industry?

I came up for audio books: What do you think are the biggest challenges for the publishing industry today?

The rise of Audiobooks: (Technology) - Younger people tend to not read as much, everything is digital - shifting more towards Wattpad
More people are swaying away from buying hard copy books due to the rise of technology and the internet. Some readers have drifted to audiobooks which enables them to multi-task, making it the fastest growing book format industry.
If your book is only available in a written format, you will be missing out on a large sector of the audience and lose influence, visibility and expense.
Reply 1
Original post by MissCarter786
How can be combat the rise of audio books within the publishing industry?

I came up for audio books: What do you think are the biggest challenges for the publishing industry today?

The rise of Audiobooks: (Technology) - Younger people tend to not read as much, everything is digital - shifting more towards Wattpad
More people are swaying away from buying hard copy books due to the rise of technology and the internet. Some readers have drifted to audiobooks which enables them to multi-task, making it the fastest growing book format industry.
If your book is only available in a written format, you will be missing out on a large sector of the audience and lose influence, visibility and expense.

Both the audiobooks and the stories will be Ai generated. That is the huge problem, and it isn't even long term. I have started using some Ai voices in my radio station online, but I found there are limitations to what an AI voice can do. But it is just a question of time. What I am worried about in the long run is the pacification of all humans if we become passive consumers in stead of creators. Even if I am wrong about this, AI imposes a technological superstructure on all types of creative work. Already now, I think some graphic artists may be in huge difficulties.

Other problems i can mention is the increasing distance between a writer and the consumer, or potential audience as the internet is overflowing with free content. Even if everybody can publish, nobody is heard. You become a solitary star in huge universe of publications, a grain of sand on a beach. And the amount of time writers spend on marketing just increases every year.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending