The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston university offer holders 2018/19

Hey guys,

If anyone has any questions about life at Aston, Birmingham - or anything whilst you're in the process of choosing an offer, message us here, or on our official thread!

This forum is monitored by a graduate, current final year student and more members of university staff / students.

^Dec

Scroll to see replies

Aston university offer holders 2018/19

Hey guys,

If anyone has any questions about life at Aston, Birmingham - or anything whilst you're in the process of choosing an offer, message us here, or on our official thread!

This forum is monitored by a graduate, current final year student and more members of university staff / students.

^Dec
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 1
Original post by Aston University
Hey guys,

^Dec

Thanks for making yourself available. I am actually very interested in Aston university, but I would like to know why it has dropped so many positions in the league tables in 2018 and whether the uni is likely to go back up to its original position the next academic year or keep going down.
Also how many students does the institution currently have?
Reply 2
Waiting on offers for both courses: psychology and neuroscience anxiously. As it is my dream school and I loved it on open day.
Computer Science BSc Sandwich 2018
Original post by HighFructose
Computer Science BSc Sandwich 2018

Cool, have you been to Aston? Where else did you apply?
Original post by CapitalTee
Cool, have you been to Aston? Where else did you apply?

Yeah it was the first open day I attended. I have also visited Birmingham City University, and hope to visit Coventry University soon.

I have applied to University of Birmingham (Physical Sciences Foundation Year), Coventry University (Computer Science) and Birmingham City University (Computer Science).
Yeah it was the first open day I attended. I have also visited Birmingham City University, and hope to visit Coventry University soon.

I have applied to University of Birmingham (Physical Sciences Foundation Year), Coventry University (Computer Science) and Birmingham City University (Computer Science).

Oh okay sounds cool, take it you really like Birmingham as a city; it’s really nice to be fair. I hope you do well, maybe I’ll run into you one day!
Oh okay sounds cool, take it you really like Birmingham as a city; it’s really nice to be fair. I hope you do well, maybe I’ll run into you one day!

I just want to be close to home :smile:
Original post by Ko35
Thanks for making yourself available. I am actually very interested in Aston university, but I would like to know why it has dropped so many positions in the league tables in 2018 and whether the uni is likely to go back up to its original position the next academic year or keep going down.
Also how many students does the institution currently have?

Hi Ko35,

Our rankings dropped in CUG 2018 due to our staff student ratios. We are in the process of addressing this with a massive recruitment campaign. Rest assured we will have a number of new academic staff in place for the 2017/18 term and will quickly climb the rankings again.

We are making sure to recruit the very best to maintain our ranking in the Teaching Excellence Framework, which we are currently ranked 2nd in the UK for.

We currently have a student population of about 15,000.

Hope this helps :smile:

^Kim
We hope to welcome you, HighFructose!

Our campus in in the city centre, with walkable routes to the 3 main stations that connect us UK-wide - as well as excellent bus and tram lines for more local students.

I'm happy to help with anything to do with commuting (or just about anything else!), if you'd like any information that's a bit more tailored and personal.

^Dec

I just want to be close to home :smile:
Hey MDVOP!

We're thrilled that you liked it here when you visited.

In the meantime whilst you wait for any offers, you can look at the stuff outside of your course: on-campus accommodation, the Students' Union (for societies, socials + activities), or the fun stuff to do with living in a big city such as Birmingham.

You can get in touch on here with any questions, big or small. There's no "stupid" questions, neither.

^Dec
Original post by MDVOP
Waiting on offers for both courses: psychology and neuroscience anxiously. As it is my dream school and I loved it on open day.
Visited Applicant day today for EAS Computer Science BSc. Was very organised, staff and student ambassadors were friendly and helpful.

CS teachers appear qualified and the course is well structured with mix of practical and theory elements.

I can't wait to firm it.
Visited Applicant day today for EAS Computer Science BSc. Was very organised, staff and student ambassadors were friendly and helpful.

CS teachers appear qualified and the course is well structured with mix of practical and theory elements.

I can't wait to firm it.

I currently study Computer Science here, and all the lecturers are honestly great.

Make sure you sign up to the ACSS (Aston Computer Science Society) in September :wink:

^Kam
Reply 13
Original post by Aston University
Hi Ko35,

Our rankings dropped in CUG 2018 due to our staff student ratios. We are in the process of addressing this with a massive recruitment campaign. Rest assured we will have a number of new academic staff in place for the 2017/18 term and will quickly climb the rankings again.

We are making sure to recruit the very best to maintain our ranking in the Teaching Excellence Framework, which we are currently ranked 2nd in the UK for.

We currently have a student population of about 15,000.

Hope this helps :smile:

^Kim

Yeah. Thank you. I would like all the good things about Aston university to be reflected on the league tables. I have an offer from Aston, so I would like to know whether this problem will have already been addressed for the upcoming academic year 2018/2019 or not, will it keep going down in the league tables? Do I need to worry about this for the upcoming year 2018/2019?
Hi,

Are all the first year accommodations the same? as in things like room sizes and layouts?
Is it easy to get single-sex flats?
Which building do you recommend is the best?
Original post by sarah4645334
Hi,

Are all the first year accommodations the same? as in things like room sizes and layouts?
Is it easy to get single-sex flats?
Which building do you recommend is the best?

I’ve been to Aston and yep, all the rooms are very similar in size and decor.

Not too sure about same sec living spaces aha
I’ve been to Aston and yep, all the rooms are very similar in size and decor.

Not too sure about same sec living spaces aha

Hi! I'm applying for accommodation this week and for 1st year which building would you suggest? Thanks :smile:
Original post by BassBoy123
Hi! I'm applying for accommodation this week and for 1st year which building would you suggest? Thanks :smile:

There’s a Facebook group chat if you’d like to join 😊
Original post by vanessa_james

Could you send me a li
Original post by vanessa_james

Hi, Can you send it to me the link too please :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest