The Student Room Group

My Dad is against me driving!

When I told my parents I wanted to learn to drive my mum was all for it, but my dad wasn't. "Are you sure your ready?" He would say every time I mentioned it. When my older brother started my dad was all for it, they would chit chat about cars and driving theory etc. My dad bought him a car, paid for insurance and got him driving on the new car after 1-2 lessons. I had an absolute nightmare convincing my dad to let me drive the car, he wouldn't let me near the car until I had 16 hours of lessons even then he would only let me go around in a circle. It seemed so unfair I had done roundabouts, dual carriageways etc with my instructor and he wouldn't let me drive on the main road. Yet, my brother was stalling the car and barely able to move off when he started on the car.

When I drive with my dad, he always has a go at me and gives such negativity. He says stuff like "So why do you think that would have been an instant fail then?" and "You just don't listen!" He always comments on how he is a great driver and that intelligence has nothing to do with passing (I never said it did).

Now I am at a reasonable level and have had just under 30 hours with an instructor and am thinking about a test. I know I am not perfect, but I don't think I am far off. Maybe another 10 hours (5 lessons) I just need practise a few things and correct a few mistakes. I was thinking of asking my instructor for a mock test soon perhaps in a couple lessons time, but my dad was like "Don't be so stupid you are far from test standard!" and then he said "All you are going to do is fail and waste a load of money!".

I just can't win, he makes me doubt myself and loose confidence in my ability. Why do you think he is being like this when he was fine with my brother learning and is there anything I can do to prove to him I can drive?
Thanks
My dad is similar, but with other issues. Best thing to do is just try and ignore him and focus on your driving. I recommend booking a test now, because then you'll have something to work to. If you don't, you'll forever be saying "I can't book it yet because I can't do X properly". Book it then you'll have a goal date.
Reply 2
Just take responsibility of your own learning and do it for yourself.

You clearly know his words are taking confidence away from you so realise it's unhelpful and ignore it as it does nothing positive for your progress.

You know your progress better than anyone else, you don't need to 'prove to him' nor seek his validation to confirm it nor should you be getting upset and losing confidence over unreasonable words thrown at you.
Original post by DrawTheLine
My dad is similar, but with other issues. Best thing to do is just try and ignore him and focus on your driving. I recommend booking a test now, because then you'll have something to work to. If you don't, you'll forever be saying "I can't book it yet because I can't do X properly". Book it then you'll have a goal date.

I agree.
When you pass your test, it may prove to him that you actually can drive (obviously you wouldnt have passed if you couldnt) and hopefully it may shut him up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending