The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah they are pretty good choices. Maths is the most important one. Not having it would close a few doors. Basically mathematical subjects are the ones to go for. Computing is fine, but it won't be regarded as being any better than any other subject with quite a lot of mathematical content (eg. Chemistry). I suppose the ideal subjects would be maths, futher maths and physics (or something with else with a lot of maths), but I for one wouldn't fancy doing so much straight maths for two years and it would be better to get an A in something else than a C in further maths.

I did maths, physics, AS computing and AS ICT. I did quite well for myself, so you're not going to go wrong with those choices.
Reply 2
they're the 3 i did and they set me up brilliantly
According to cambs, they need you to do Maths, like you do to FM and Physics (both numerical subjects) Basicaly Maths, Further maths if you can hack it or a science instead.
An ideal layout is like the one in my sig, maths, physics, chemistry and computing (all respected subjects)

the link below may help

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/compsci/requirements.html
If you're going Oxbridge, Maths, Further Maths and Physics are your best choices.

But just to let you know, I've got into Bristol and Sheffield with Maths being my only "mathsey" A level.

My other A levels were English, Music Tech and ICT.
Maths, Further Maths and Physics plus 1 more. Computing isn't essential, but it may help to give you an idea about whether you'd like to do computer science as it contains quite a bit of programming.
Reply 6
Maths, Physics, Computing is an excellent selection if you can deal with it (it was my plan but I was **** at Physics and dropped it at AS :frown:)
as long as you have Maths, you're pretty much good to go (although like others have said, if you're aiming for Oxbridge FM would be good). Computing is good just for the fun though :smile:
Reply 7
Like the others have said, you really need Maths. Physics is highly desirable by admissions tutors and Further Maths can also be a great advantage.
Now technically you don't need Computing to impress the admissions tutors BUT it can really help with some of the content you're likely to cover in the future. If you can grasp some programming skills and knowledge about number systems, databases and such in Computing then you'll be doing yourself a favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending