The Student Room Group

Studying artificial intelligence in uni

So I've recently been interested in studying AI in university but I dont take computer science as one of my A levels. It's not required as an a level for the course as I already do maths however I was wondering how much computer science should I know before going into this field. Will they expect me to know some sort of programming and coding? And if I dont will that effect my chances of being accepted? How much of AI is computer science anyways? Anyone who's talent ai in uni can you tell me what the course is like or ur experience? I'm just worried that because I dont know much computer science and people who apply to this course probably will have computer science as well and my be a disadvantage for me.
Thank you
Original post by abubakar06
So I've recently been interested in studying AI in university but I dont take computer science as one of my A levels. It's not required as an a level for the course as I already do maths however I was wondering how much computer science should I know before going into this field. Will they expect me to know some sort of programming and coding? And if I dont will that effect my chances of being accepted? How much of AI is computer science anyways? Anyone who's talent ai in uni can you tell me what the course is like or ur experience? I'm just worried that because I dont know much computer science and people who apply to this course probably will have computer science as well and my be a disadvantage for me.
Thank you

Hi!

It really depends on what you are doing. Most AI degrees at uni start with just base computer science. You can generally tell how much CS is needed with whether they require a Computer Science A-Level or equivalent to start the course. If they don't that means typically they will take you through the basics. Another way to check is to read through the syllabus and what the course entails. Or on the universities website, they sometimes provide guidance around that area of how much CS you need to know beforehand.

I just finished my first year at Heriot-Watt doing Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence), so with my degree, we do just base computer science for a couple of years and then move into focusing on AI. That might be a good route to look into or similarly doing a CS degree and then an AI masters.

From what I've heard knowing zero coding and doing the degree will be challenging but it is doable, they'll go through the basics but it is covered very fast so I'd suggest doing as much coding as you can in the summer before Uni so you don't feel too overwhelmed when you get there. If they don't ask for a CS degree in entry requirements it shouldn't really affect your chances of being accepted but that's never guaranteed.

As I haven't really gone into AI fully yet I can't really answer your other questions but if you think of more please feel free to ask! :smile:

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending