The Student Room Group

Will I be able to Do Computer Science at university?

I am a GCSE student who is about to go to 6th form, I achieved a grade 5 / C in maths and will be doing Art and Design Graphics Communications A level, Business A level and an IT BTEC. My GCSE grade would not allow me to do Computer Science or Maths at A Level. I am considering retaking maths in order to get a 6 / B and do maths and computer science for a level but this would mean that I would miss out a whole year of 6th form. If I continue with the courses I originally chose (Art and Design Graphics Communications A level, Business A level and an IT BTEC) would I still be able to do Computer Science at university?
Reply 1
It depends on the university. Some will accept any A-Levels wih certain grade requirements, others require A-Level Maths. A-Level Computer Science is generally not required, but there may be exceptions I don't know about. In general, more highly regarded universities will require A-Level Maths, while less highly regarded unis are less likely to require it. At the very highest level, such as at Oxbridge they might expect A-Level Further Maths, but this is mainly the top universities. Whether or not its worth resitting depends on what uni you want to get into. I recommend looking at various unis and their entry requirements to find out what's best for you, as you will know best what you want. Here are some unis with a range of entry requirements as an example.
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/computer-science/bsc-computer-science/#entry-requirements
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/g400-computer-science-bsc-hons#entryrequirements
https://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/bsc-hons-computer-science
Reply 2
For many Comp Sci courses you will need A level Maths - check the course pages on Uni websites for 'entry requirements'
Reply 3
Original post by Sipwok
I am a GCSE student who is about to go to 6th form, I achieved a grade 5 / C in maths and will be doing Art and Design Graphics Communications A level, Business A level and an IT BTEC. My GCSE grade would not allow me to do Computer Science or Maths at A Level. I am considering retaking maths in order to get a 6 / B and do maths and computer science for a level but this would mean that I would miss out a whole year of 6th form. If I continue with the courses I originally chose (Art and Design Graphics Communications A level, Business A level and an IT BTEC) would I still be able to do Computer Science at university?

Hey Sipwok, is it possible I can dm you on another social platform to discuss about this even further? I literally do the same subjects like you do, but could we talk on dm about this even more in depth on another platform, because I believe there is no way to dm on student room.
Original post by RazaAli1
Hey Sipwok, is it possible I can dm you on another social platform to discuss about this even further? I literally do the same subjects like you do, but could we talk on dm about this even more in depth on another platform, because I believe there is no way to dm on student room.

You can use the envelope signal at the top to send personal messages.
Reply 5
Can you do Computer Science at university? Yes.

Can you do Computer Science at a 'good' uni/a high ranking one? No.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by RazaAli1

Just to note that it’s not permitted to swap socials via TSR. You can DM people on here after a few posts and days of being a member.
Reply 7
Original post by Harp19191
Can you do Computer Science at university? Yes.

Can you do Computer Science at a 'good' uni/a high ranking one? No.

Options for higher ranking universities would be far better were OP to resit gcse maths and get a much better grade while doing their a levels.
Reply 8
Or - to realise that for someone who clearly 'isnt very good at Maths', that a demanding degree that revolves around high level maths skills is probably a total waste of time.
Original post by Sipwok

Most leading universities require A level Maths. Some others will accept you without it but have GCSE Maths restrictions. It is difficult to know which universities will accept you with your current subjects. The only way to find out is to contact universities. CS is basically a Maths degree so unless you are good ay Maths it might not be the right subject for you. See below a list I did several years ago of universities not requiring A level Maths and their GCSE requirements. You can use this as a basis to contact universities. It would be wise to re sit GCSE Maths to get a higher grade alongside your A levels and BTEC,

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics