The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Computer science or computer science with maths?

I'm wanting to do computer science and maths at Exeter but you're required to get an A in alevel maths which js understandable, I got an A* in my last mock but I'm a resit student and in the real thing I got a B...
The thing is if not computer science and maths I'd be happy to do jist computer science at Exeter which does not require me to get an A specifically in maths. But preferably comp sci and maths. But I don't want to apply and make it my firm just for me to get a B in maths and not be able to go to Exeter. I feel like I should apply for just computer science and in the case that I achive an A in maths I can maybe ask them if I can switch course to include the maths one?
What would you do if you were me??
If I were you I would ring up Exeter and explain my worries and ask their advice.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Katy_whisper
I'm wanting to do computer science and maths at Exeter but you're required to get an A in alevel maths which js understandable, I got an A* in my last mock but I'm a resit student and in the real thing I got a B...
The thing is if not computer science and maths I'd be happy to do jist computer science at Exeter which does not require me to get an A specifically in maths. But preferably comp sci and maths. But I don't want to apply and make it my firm just for me to get a B in maths and not be able to go to Exeter. I feel like I should apply for just computer science and in the case that I achive an A in maths I can maybe ask them if I can switch course to include the maths one?

Hi Katy_whisper,

Thanks for your question, and it's great to hear that you're interested in studying computer science and maths at the University of Exeter. I would advise you to get in touch with our admissions team directly using the online enquiry linked here. They should be able to give the best advice regarding your personal circumstances and which course to apply for. It may also be worth considering that you could use two of your five UCAS choices at the University to apply both for computer science, and computer science and maths. You can then decide later on which course to put as your firm and insurance, which may give you more time to work out what grade you may be most likely to get in your maths course. Best of luck for any future exams you may have, and please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador.
Reply 3
Original post by Katy_whisper

As someone currently doing CompSci & Maths at Exeter, I'd ask what about the CompSci & Maths course interests you as opposed to just doing the CompSci course? The combined honours course has a lot more theoretical maths, and goes in to a lot of detail that if you just want to study computer science, won't be particularly useful. They do ask for people to get an A in maths for maths degrees for a reason, and it's more so that a lot of the maths can get fairly complicated and abstract in the maths modules. If you just do a BSc Computer Science, you will still do maths (1st years have to take Discrete Mathematics and Computation Mathematics, which total to 1/4 of your modules for the year) whereas a combined honours have more maths (Mathematical Structures and Mathematical Methods which are 1/2 of your modules for the year).
Overall, my advice would be to consider what you're looking for in a degree and then do some research on the modules that each degree offers in 1st year and beyond. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a message.
Reply 4
Hi,

Got an offer from Exeter for math and computer science. I love maths, but how good is computer science in Exeter as I am getting mixed reviews about CS part.
Please can you help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending