The Student Room Group

Tape measure wrong for height

Hi

I am trying to measure my height with a tape measure. However I keep getting 5 foot 5. My mother is exactly 5 foot 2 or 3 she got measured in the doctors. When I stand near here she goes to my neck. And my brother who is exactly 5 foot 6 (got measured hospital) goes to my eyebrows.

So I am wondering just how reliable tape measure are?

If I measured my eyebrows to lower head it was around 2 to 3 inches. If I add that to my brothers height that would make me around 5 foot 8. Would this be more accurate than the tape measure?
Reply 1
If using a tape measure it's best to stand against an open door - get a rough idea of where your head is on the door and sellotape a piece of paper there then use a pen or pencil stand against the door back straight feet together and mark a line across the top of your head then measure from the ground up to the line it should be pretty accurate.
Mistakes people make is that they stand against a wall with a skirting board around it, or they don't put their feet together or they stand on thick carpet and only measure to the top of the carpet etc.
Reply 2
Tape measures suck. The Stanley tape measure I used measures me at 5'10. But my friend who is 5'10 is shorter than me by 1.5 inches according to everyone at school. So that shows that I'm 5'11.5 and the tape measure is good for wood and metal, not height measurements.

Quick Reply

Latest