The Student Room Group

Growthspurt at 17 or am I delusional?

Hello, m17 5'5 here. Up until last year, I was borderline 100lbs (102 on a good day) thereafter increasing to around 111lbs. I've grown increasingly concerned with my height the last couple months, and have made multiple attempts to nourish myself better, apparently to no avail. Though recently, I haven't even had to try. I went from skipping breakfast, having a humble lunch and nitpicking my dinner with a few snacks in between to 2700~ calories (all healthy foods) comfortably per day - I feel I could easily eat more if my pantry permitted. I perpetually feel hungry and at no point in the day have I felt full or sated for at least 15-30 minutes. I'm about 115-6lbs right now and am wondering why I suddenly have an appetite of unprecedented size. Am I just filling out, or could this be a growth spurt? Father is 6'0 by the way. Mother 5'1. I haven't ever had a growth spurt either, so this is genuinely the first time I've ever felt insatiable
(edited 2 years ago)
You sound like a very late bloomer. I'd say it's a growth spurt, meaning your efforts have proven successful.
Reply 2
I'll continue updating for any future readers. About 2 weeks in, acne has worsened for no apparent reason. I've had mild aches throughout my body and have recorded marginal growth in my limbs, my wingspan and feet in particular. (65 to 66.25 inch wingpsan, size 7 to nearly size 8 shoe size) (Though no height gain yet) I'm worried it may just be me progressively improving my form when I measure, but we'll see. I've been recording everyday as well, it's become an obsession. I highly recommend against it. Also been having emotional irritability. I feel like a kid again in some ways, not sure what's wrong with me
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by redkebab19
I'll continue updating for any future readers. About 2 weeks in, acne has worsened for no apparent reason. I've had mild aches throughout my body and have recorded marginal growth in my limbs, my wingspan and feet in particular. (65 to 66.25 inch wingpsan, size 7 to nearly size 8 shoe size) (Though no height gain yet) I'm worried it may just be me progressively improving my form when I measure, but we'll see. I've been recording everyday as well, it's become an obsession. I highly recommend against it. Also been having emotional irritability. I feel like a kid again in some ways, not sure what's wrong with me

hormones most likely, im 17 and that happened to me a year ago or less and i went from 165 to 170
Reply 4
did your appetite change, and are you still growing?
Reply 5
1 month update. Sized up at the shoe store and officially grew a whole size. Wingspan went from 66.25->66.75 as well. No height increase just yet, and hands are unfortunately still the same size. Appetite has somewhat abated but is still definitely there
Reply 6
I dont think you're delusional, I've grown 4cm and up 2 shoe sizes since I turned 18. Also went from 133 to 161 lbs. Currently 18 and 9m. There's nothing strange about it. You should probably eat more, I'd consider myself skinny over 160.
Hello, m17 5'5 here. Up until last year, I was borderline 100lbs (102 on a good day) thereafter increasing to around 111lbs. I've grown increasingly concerned with my height the last couple months, and have made multiple attempts to nourish myself better, apparently to no avail. Though recently, I haven't even had to try. I went from skipping breakfast, having a humble lunch and nitpicking my dinner with a few snacks in between to 2700~ calories (all healthy foods) comfortably per day - I feel I could easily eat more if my pantry permitted. I perpetually feel hungry and at no point in the day have I felt full or sated for at least 15-30 minutes. I'm about 115-6lbs right now and am wondering why I suddenly have an appetite of unprecedented size. Am I just filling out, or could this be a growth spurt? Father is 6'0 by the way. Mother 5'1. I haven't ever had a growth spurt either, so this is genuinely the first time I've ever felt insatiable

I had a growth spurt last year at 16- grew from just under 5"7 to 5"8. Was surprised as I hadn't grown that much in year's, but I was also a super late bloomer and was doing loads of stretching exercises so idk if they helped

Eat more protein and increase track nutrients.
Unusual to have a growth spurt at 17, most males are done growing vertically at this age.

Quick Reply

Latest