Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accommodation Guide for Undergraduate Students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by Reformed2010
I don't blame you, I just spent ages trying to look for it myself. I can't find it now. :s-smilie:

edit found it: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/beforeyouarrive/cateredhalls/cateredhalls.aspxwho designed these website paths! :rolleyes:

BrenLee I have an unconditional place and room offer, accepted it but what do i do next? There doesn't appear to be anything for me to do on the next steps section on the portal. Do i have to wait for my student finance to be sorted out? how do i pay for fees or apply for a student card? sorry for all the questions... :redface:

Can't say this enough...ignore the portal, it's rubbish!

Read the offer letter that we sent to you, it explains it all, payment dates, what to do when you apply for a loan etc
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by BrenLee
X

I've accepted my offer on 20th April. I'm just wondering how does it work with the deposit? How much do we have to pay and by when and how? Is there any other deposit to be paid except the £50 in the first term?

I can't find anything about it in my offer letter but I heard you need to pay £250 or so deposit in May :confused:
I've accepted my offer of accommodation and it then took me to a page where it had a list of things to do before arrival (assuming I meet my conditional offer), but I logged out at that point and can't seem to access that page again?

I did the first thing on the list, which was to fill in the hall of residence information form and send it back. I remember another thing I had to do was to look at the 'Before you arrive' section on the accommodation website, but I can't remember what the last thing was?
Reply 1243
Original post by Introverted moron
I've accepted my offer of accommodation and it then took me to a page where it had a list of things to do before arrival (assuming I meet my conditional offer), but I logged out at that point and can't seem to access that page again?

I did the first thing on the list, which was to fill in the hall of residence information form and send it back. I remember another thing I had to do was to look at the 'Before you arrive' section on the accommodation website, but I can't remember what the last thing was?

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/beforeyouarrive/cateredhalls/cateredhalls.aspx

Was that the page? :smile:
Original post by BrenLee

Hi BrenLee I was just going to ask you,

I've applied to University Park Campus with only 3 preferences even though I could choose 5 (although have to wait until results day because it's all taken). I was wondering about emailing and asking to add two more choices on for me, either two more at UPC (to hopefully raise my chances of getting accommodation there as its the best place and right next to where my course is based). Or even emailing about BGP as an option incase I don't get any UPC?

However, I'd prefer not to have the other room types (more expensive and a bit too cushy). But I don't want to rule out the prospect of not getting UPC (or near to UPC if I definitely don't get it).

I'm torn between:

- Emailing and asking to add 2 options so that it is known I want those as fall backs options (although they arn't really preferences).

- not emailing (so they are not seen as preference) and hoping if I don't get my choices that I will be placed near to the UPC or in something similar to what I specified on the UP campus?

SO basically my question is kinda: how are you placed in accommodation, are my room choices looked at if they are all full, and I'm relocated onto another campus with those room types? Or is my campus choice taken into account more, and I'm given different room options on that campus choice? Would I be more likely to get UPC because my course building is on the site? And so on..

Sorry I know thats a horribly overly long unnecessary question! It was just something I thought I'd ask about.

Thanks for all your help.

Patrick C
(edited 13 years ago)

It's not that page exactly since I came across it on my portal account, but it looks similar enough. :biggrin: I still can't help but think there's something else I have to do that's not on that list. :redface:

You could e-mail the information form to them? ......and there I go wasting a first-class stamp. :colonhash:
Reply 1246
It's not that page exactly since I came across it on my portal account, but it looks similar enough. :biggrin: I still can't help but think there's something else I have to do that's not on that list. :redface:

You could e-mail the information form to them? ......and there I go wasting a first-class stamp. :colonhash:

I guess so, but tbh I don't know much about accommodation as I haven't been allocated any yet :smile:
Original post by JPAR
I guess so, but tbh I don't know much about accommodation as I haven't been allocated any yet :smile:

When did you apply?

Hope you hear back soon-ish!
Reply 1248
Original post by PatrickC
Hi BrenLee I was just going to ask you,

I've applied to University Park Campus with only 3 preferences even though I could choose 5 (although have to wait until results day because it's all taken). I was wondering about emailing and asking to add two more choices on for me, either two more at UPC (to hopefully raise my chances of getting accommodation there as its the best place and right next to where my course is based). Or even emailing about BGP as an option incase I don't get any UPC?

However, I'd prefer not to have the other room types (more expensive and a bit too cushy). But I don't want to rule out the prospect of not getting UPC (or near to UPC if I definitely don't get it).

I'm torn between:

- Emailing and asking to add 2 options so that it is known I want those as fall backs options (although they arn't really preferences).

- not emailing (so they are not seen as preference) and hoping if I don't get my choices that I will be placed near to the UPC or in something similar to what I specified on the UP campus?

SO basically my question is kinda: how are you placed in accommodation, are my room choices looked at if they are all full, and I'm relocated onto another campus with those room types? Or is my campus choice taken into account more, and I'm given different room options on that campus choice? Would I be more likely to get UPC because my course building is on the site? And so on..

Sorry I know thats a horribly overly long unnecessary question! It was just something I thought I'd ask about.

Thanks for all your help.

Patrick C

TL.DR :smile:
Reply 1249
Patrick C

Just kidding.

If you email asking for 2 pref's that you don't want. Don't be shocked if you get one and then have to start the process over again because you can't really afford them.

If we can't give you one of your pref's we will give you the closest possible match that is still available. Closest could be defined by location or similarity, it's impossible to be more specific without listing all combo's or knowing what you've asked for.
Reply 1250

Accept the offer

return your residence form

apply for a university card
Original post by BrenLee
Just kidding.

If you email asking for 2 pref's that you don't want. Don't be shocked if you get one and then have to start the process over again because you can't really afford them.

If we can't give you one of your pref's we will give you the closest possible match that is still available. Closest could be defined by location or similarity, it's impossible to be more specific without listing all combo's or knowing what you've asked for.

Ok Thats perfect thanks, much more concise than I am, you'll be happy to know I'm not reading English when I come to Notts!

So theres no way an applicant can attach a note to his/her accommodation saying for instance "Campus over room type" or vice versa? To help the staff who assign the students to a hall, if the student doesn't get any of their choices?

Don't know if this idea would help or be pointless for all of you assigning halls, but maybe that could work as an idea for future applicants? Not telling you how to do your job :colondollar:, but I would imagine it might make less people reapply? (If there even IS any applicants that do in the first place :wink:)

Anywaysss thanks hugely again
Original post by BrenLee
Accept the offer

return your residence form

apply for a university card

Hi, Bren Lee, I asked a question 4 days ago, which I haven't heard back of yet. I was asking about how does it work with the deposits? I know you pay £50 deposit in your first term, but I heard that there is another deposit we have to pay in May or so (£250) after accepting the accommodation offer. How does that work? Will I be contacted regarding that? I couldn't find anything about that in my offer letter. Please let me know about it. Thanks.

My previous post
Reply 1253
"Campus over room type" or vice versa? To help the staff who assign the students to a hall, if the student doesn't get any of their choices?

Don't know if this idea would help or be pointless for all of you assigning halls, but maybe that could work as an idea for future applicants? Not telling you how to do your job :colondollar:, but I would imagine it might make less people reapply? (If there even IS any applicants that do in the first place :wink:)

Anywaysss thanks hugely again

We'd love you to do that! Of course there is still no guarantee we can definitely give you that but it would help us massively. Especially for students who are borderline being shunted over to Jubilee.
Reply 1254
Original post by muffingg
Hi, Bren Lee, I asked a question 4 days ago, which I haven't heard back of yet. I was asking about how does it work with the deposits? I know you pay £50 deposit in your first term, but I heard that there is another deposit we have to pay in May or so (£250) after accepting the accommodation offer. How does that work? Will I be contacted regarding that? I couldn't find anything about that in my offer letter. Please let me know about it. Thanks.

My previous post

The £50 deposit is for catered halls during your first year as an undergraduate.

The deposit rises to £250 during your second year in catered halls and stays that way for every other year you stay on.

All self-catered sites ask for a £250 deposit regardless of your year.

You should only pay 1 accommodation deposit for each year of study.
Reply 1255
UPDATE to application process.

Minimum of 4 choices must now be made

We are still taking deferred applications for the following room types at University Park:

En-suite
Shared En-suite
Single Study

Those applying for these options will not get an offer until after UK A level results are released.
The residence form requires your student ID that is supposedly on your offer form. But after much searching I can't find a letter than has mine on it. I have an unconditional offer. This is what I get for letting my parents handle my letters!:rolleyes:

Any help?
Original post by BrenLee
We'd love you to do that! Of course there is still no guarantee we can definitely give you that but it would help us massively. Especially for students who are borderline being shunted over to Jubilee.

So should I just send an email then?
Cheers
Reply 1258
So should I just send an email then?
Cheers

Yup

[email protected]
Reply 1259
Original post by Reformed2010
The residence form requires your student ID that is supposedly on your offer form. But after much searching I can't find a letter than has mine on it. I have an unconditional offer. This is what I get for letting my parents handle my letters!:rolleyes:

Any help?

It's on the top of page 2 of the accommodation offer letter (the payment schedule). Just under your name.

If you struggle, just leave it blank.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending