The Student Room Group

Wierd History A Level

I'm doing EDEXCEL History A Level but the coursework option (I don't know the number of the modules etc)

Firstly I did a compulsory coursework about Ireland and the Act of Union. Then for the second piece I chose what I wanted to do and researched and wrote it.

For the only exam I have just started learning about Stalin.

I've never heard of any other people from different schools or colleges doing this, has anyone here?
Ive never heard about that kind of structure for an A level before. At our school we dont do any coursework we just sit 6 exam modules (3 at AS and 3 at A2). Thats the thing about the edexcel syllabus you can do as much or as little coursework as your teacher wants, if your teacher is not good on teaching exam technique than they'll go for the coursework options. I believe that most modules have a coursework alternative.
Reply 2
Yeah we actually got a choice of how much we wanted to do. You could choose to do exam option or coursework option. I chose cw beause I'm far better at it as I tend to panic before exams and not do too well in them!
Reply 3
We do the very same at my school. We have completed the Individual Assignment (the coursework you choose and research yourself), and now we are doing the Ireland coursework. Our only exam is on Hitler and the Nazi State, that's the only difference. It is a little weird, but I actually prefer it! I hate exams.
Reply 4
I wish my exam was on Hilter, I love German history!! But I did the Nazis last year so...

I'm just gald to have found someone who does the same thing!!
Reply 5
i do an individual assignment as well. hate it hate it hate it. cant motivate myself to TEACH myself. what's worse is that we do it late april so i'm going to have to revise for that AS WELL AS my A levels. i'd much prefer to be taught something.
Reply 6
I loved the individual assignment!! I do like being taught aswell but I'd rather learn about something that I find really really interesting (in my case the Nazis, yes I know it's weird, everyone tell me that it is) than be taught something I'm not so interested in such as Ireland.
Reply 7
That's true, but the only aspect of history that I really really enjoy IS the Nazis. However, because we are taught about the Nazis for our unit 6 exam, our individual assignment can't have any relevence to the Nazis. This = ****ty assignment.
Reply 8
I didn't mind my Individual Assignment...I did mine on Richard III, and as he's a fairly controversial character, there was lots to write about! Ireland coursework we are now starting, and I'm really not looking forward to it, as it's dull, if I'm honest. And I hate the fact that we aren't allowed to give in drafts! It's okay doing a unit on the Nazis, but this is the third unit out of my A Level that is about Germany/Nazis and it's getting a bit boring!
I'm doing an IA too...I love it because it means I only have one exam on Stalin in the summer, and I know how many marks I need to get a good grade! But the IA is hard work to teach yourself a section of history.
Mines on Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, so I have plenty to write about :smile:
20th century history is over rated and over studied. I like early modern history. If I did a study, I would have done it on Imperial Spain or the Reformation in a European state.

Latest

Trending

Trending