The Student Room Group

Edexcel and HB pencils?

I just did a Chemistry paper but I did some of my calculations with HB pencil, not having the time to trace over it with pen...

Can their scans still scan it?
Original post by Chin2009
I just did a Chemistry paper but I did some of my calculations with HB pencil, not having the time to trace over it with pen...

Yes they can

You just asked this.
In the event it wont scan then they just do it manually.
HB pencil is specifically allowed.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Yes they can

Alright! That's comforting to hear! Thanks for the quick reply!
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You just asked this.
In the event it wont scan then they just do it manually.
HB pencil is specifically allowed.

Oh okay, that's great! Sorry, sometimes I can't help but make a mountain out of a molehill
Alright! That's comforting to hear! Thanks for the quick reply!

issues with pencils include
1. They can be altered, even after your paper is handed in, enabling cheating
2. People have used very fine pencils or very hard pencils that are very difficult to read on a scan.
3. Badly erased pencil can be picked up by a scanner that enhances the erased image making the scan unreadable

As long as you use HB or B pencils they scan fine, but it's easier to simply say they should not be used than handle all of the problems that have occurred when they were allowed.
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
issues with pencils include
1. They can be altered, even after your paper is handed in, enabling cheating
2. People have used very fine pencils or very hard pencils that are very difficult to read on a scan.
3. Badly erased pencil can be picked up by a scanner that enhances the erased image making the scan unreadable

As long as you use HB or B pencils they scan fine, but it's easier to simply say they should not be used than handle all of the problems that have occurred when they were allowed.

Oh because I heard that examiners simply ignore questions that were answered in pencil, while some say they would simply mark it manually if it can't be seen.

But I've learned my lesson now... first exams are always the hardest to handle
Reply 7
So just in case some future student was hoping to find an answer in this thread, they were able to scan my paper despite my using an HB pencil! So don't worry!

Quick Reply

Latest