The Student Room Group

henrietta barnett sixth form

hey :smile: anyone else here get an offer from henrietta barnett for sixth form? i was hoping to talk to some people who are planning to accept the offer as i didn’t get to go to the visit in march. thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heyyy got an offer too :smile:
what did you wanna talk abouttt
Reply 2
Original post by Nat4695
heyyy got an offer too :smile:
what did you wanna talk abouttt

hiii :smile: i guess i just want to know if they told you any important info in march. i want to make sure i’m not missing anythinggg
did you like it there? teachers, pupils etc
alsoo what a levels are you taking? i don’t know anyone who got an offer so it would be nice to talk!
sorry for all the questions lol
Reply 3
Original post by sky55555
Okay so for the most part it's really nice, there's a really friendly atmosphere but of course it can be academically intense. What you'll find is that, more than the teachers, there's this sort of constant peer pressure to do well because you see everyone else pushing themselves as much as possible. It's not something that people talk about much, but this pressure is definitely there. How you deal with it really depends on how you are as a person. I personally don't mind it much because I feel like it keeps me on track and motivates me to do better. On the other hand, I know that's not the case for some of my friends. I've seen their confidence go down over the last year or so and this can impact their performance in exams.

Don't expect too much from the teaching lol. Some teachers are really great but most of them are just average (or even below that). The humanities teachers are quite good for the most part but the science teachers are just mediocre at best. There are only two physics teachers and both of them are leaving. The biology department isn't great tbh and chemistry is decent I guess.

The school can also be a little disorganised at times and it's no secret as to how underfunded we are and that definitely affects the teaching. Plus, soooo many teachers are leaving at the end of this academic year so I really can't say how things will be in September.

At the same time, many of the alumnae say that learning to deal with the kind of atmosphere of HBS gives you excellent preparation for universities (especially if you're aiming for a top uni, e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, etc.)

Thank you so much that was very helpful :smile: I assumed it would be very competitive in general which is the opposite of my secondary school but I also think that overall it would benefit me anyway.
I know this isn’t the most important thing, but what is the social life like? I’m prepared to have to sacrifice that at some point but was wondering in general. Also do many people join the clubs/societies at school?
Reply 4
Original post by sky55555
There are many clubs for almost every subject/field you might want to go into (e.g. Medical Society, Physics Society, History Society, English Extension, Geography Society, I think there’s a Biochem Soc too). There’s usually a good range of talks on and sixth formers often have a role in emailing people (usually university professors) and asking them to come in. There are also plenty of opportunities for sixth formers to give talks at these societies. It’s up to you how involved you are in these, but it probably does look good if a teacher says that you’ve had an active role in a certain society as part of the teacher’s reference for your UCAS application, or you could write about it in your Personal Statement.

Don’t worry too much about the social life: you’ll definitely make good friendships and then your social life really depends on how you are as a person. There are people who party fairly regularly, people who prefer to just have little gatherings with their close friends, people who like to go to different places in Central London, etc. You’ll find people with similar interests to you :smile:

Please do feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Thank you, I really appreciate all the help! That sounds great. I don’t think I have any more questions for now but i’ll let you know if I think of something :smile: :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alixm07
hey :smile: anyone else here get an offer from henrietta barnett for sixth form? i was hoping to talk to some people who are planning to accept the offer as i didn’t get to go to the visit in march. thanks!!

hiii, I've got a conditional too!
what subjects are you planning on taking?
im thinking maths, further maths, biology and physics.
Reply 6
Original post by :)))))(
hiii, I've got a conditional too!
what subjects are you planning on taking?
im thinking maths, further maths, biology and physics.

heyy :smile: we have almost chosen the same subjects, i’m planning on taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry! do you already go to hbs or somewhere else?
Reply 7
Original post by alixm07
heyy :smile: we have almost chosen the same subjects, i’m planning on taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry! do you already go to hbs or somewhere else?

thats crazy those were my initial choices and then I changed my mind last minute 😭
no I don't go to hbs rn... do you?
Reply 8
Heyyy all
Anyone have an idea whether Henrietta Barnett is better for the sciencey subjects or the more humanities - based ones? I’m stuck deciding on which ones I should do. Either bio chem and maths (further maths) orrrr I do English lit RE and Spanish.
Reply 9
Original post by :)))))(
thats crazy those were my initial choices and then I changed my mind last minute 😭
no I don't go to hbs rn... do you?

i don’t go there rn either
are there any other sixth forms you are thinking of going to or do you think you’ll end up at hbs? if we both go we may be in some of the same classes :smile:
Hi. I also got a offer. I’m applied for maths, further maths, physics and economics but I might swap economics for geography or Latin. Is it your first choice? I’m still not sure whether I want to leave my current school
Reply 11
Original post by Mathsgirl888
Hi. I also got a offer. I’m applied for maths, further maths, physics and economics but I might swap economics for geography or Latin. Is it your first choice? I’m still not sure whether I want to leave my current school

Hii
My school didn’t have a sixth form so i’d be moving anyway, and I think I would like to take the offer from hbs.
Are you leaning more toward staying or leaving your school? That’s a hard choicee
Also do you know anything about the physics edexcel spec they do there? I saw something about edexcel advanced gce but I have never heard of it before. Thankss
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by alixm07

Hey!
I’m actually a yr12–>yr13 student at HBS, I study maths, bio, chem and physics but I did do further maths on top of those during yr12. It is my opinion that you’re much better off at other sixth forms as this school has just lost around 30 staff members this year, including the entirety of the physics department and other really excellent teachers. It is also important to consider that the science subjects may under-predict you, I was fortunate to get the right predicted grades but others in my year were not so lucky. On top of this, the atmosphere is fiercely competitive at sixth form, bordering closely on being toxic, very few people to my knowledge are enjoying their time here. On top of this, if you do STEM subjects your classes will be VERY large, which personally was a huge disappointment to me.
I really implore prospective sixth form applicants to consider other sixth forms that have better resources/more supportive heads/ smaller classes and experienced, kind teachers.
To give you further information, this year, there were many ‘external’ students that came to study here, of which a huge number left for other sixth forms after being here for about 2 weeks or so. I suspect that they were disappointed by the quality of some of the teachers’ teaching and didn’t enjoy the atmosphere.
As a result, I really implore you to keep an eye out for other better sixth forms (I’ve heard really good things about Woodhouse!).
Nevertheless, if you guys do end up coming here and you like biology, swing by biology society, you’re likely to meet yours truly :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by Nat4695
Heyyy all
Anyone have an idea whether Henrietta Barnett is better for the sciencey subjects or the more humanities - based ones? I’m stuck deciding on which ones I should do. Either bio chem and maths (further maths) orrrr I do English lit RE and Spanish.

hii, both departments can be either bad or good depending on the teacher you get but the english and spanish teachers are all amazing - RE isnt offered at a-level, and youd have to take both maths and further to do further maths w your science combination, so it really depends on what you want to do at uni,, also teachers leave every year so its not worth taking subjects based on the quality of the department
Reply 14
Original post by hu3
hii, both departments can be either bad or good depending on the teacher you get but the english and spanish teachers are all amazing - RE isnt offered at a-level, and youd have to take both maths and further to do further maths w your science combination, so it really depends on what you want to do at uni,, also teachers leave every year so its not worth taking subjects based on the quality of the department

Hiii thank you so much!! Sorry for the late reply but it was helpful. I decided to take sciences, let’s hope it works out this year!!
Reply 15
Original post by alixm07

heyy, i applied late to the school and just got accepted so i'm going in completely blind lmaoo. i was wondering if there was a dress code since i can't find it on the website, and if we're allowed to use digital devices to take notes in class? i'm not sure if you'd know since you're joining this year too, but i didn't know where else to ask loll. if anyone else knows i'd really appreciate the help.
thank you sm!!
Reply 16
Original post by han_1f4
heyy, i applied late to the school and just got accepted so i'm going in completely blind lmaoo. i was wondering if there was a dress code since i can't find it on the website, and if we're allowed to use digital devices to take notes in class? i'm not sure if you'd know since you're joining this year too, but i didn't know where else to ask loll. if anyone else knows i'd really appreciate the help.
thank you

i dont think there is an acc dress code but from what ive seen people wear rlly casual clothes - like jumpers/hoodies/trainers are all good. and no idt we can use digital devices to take notes but id ask ur subject teacher before ur lesson if i were you!
Reply 17
Original post by hu3
i dont think there is an acc dress code but from what ive seen people wear rlly casual clothes - like jumpers/hoodies/trainers are all good. and no idt we can use digital devices to take notes but id ask ur subject teacher before ur lesson if i were you!

tysmm!! 🫶🫶🫶
Reply 18
Original post by whalewithknees
hi, im going into year 13 at hbs next year :smile: no we don't really have a dress code, technicallyyy there is one but no one really follows it or cares. and yes, you can absolutely use digital devices to take notes in class - the majority of us in sixth form work on ipads lol

thank you sm that was so helpful!!
Reply 19
can I just confirm if we're meant to go in tomorrow for induction or Wednesday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending