The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Hillend or unite students accomodation?

Hi,
I am starting as an undergraduate this September, I have only just changed Aberdeen to my first choice so im too late for new carnegie court as its fully booked. So Im looking at unite students shared flats. I am wondering if you get the same experience in these socially, I have read about a
buzz at hillend being the heart of it all and I dont want to miss out. I am wondering if many undergraduates stay at unite and whether its mostly mature students. finally I have a long-term partner who I live with current he gets every second week of work so we were hoping he could come up for a few days to stay every now and then, how strict are these places on this, if very perhaps Id be better looking for private accommodation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated a little
overwhelmed as this has been a last minute decision.
Reply 1
I just finished my second year at Aberdeen and although I wasn't in Unite halls I was in Liberty Living (do not recommend Liberty for the social side but Unite seems much better) my boyfriend came to stay all the time and no one even notices. I have friends who stayed in Unite e.g. Causeway View and Spring Gardens and they've had people stay no problem.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Seems to be quite a variety staying at Unite. There are a lot of third years/postgrads but also a few undergrads. You can ring up and ask to be placed in a flat with undergrads if you wish.
Reply 3
Hi I was a resident in spring gardens last year for a few days before my circumstance changed and I moved home... below is my review on unite Students

Shockingly bad company , arrived in my room to find it needed cleaning myself , wish I could attach photos of the dirt that came off both my floor and the kitchen floor , completely unacceptable! Also after being in this flat for a couple days I was talking more to my flatmates to discover that although I was paying £137 a week , the rest were paying just £100 a week ! Not sure how this was fair or worked out , complained to reception who confirmed my room rate would be changed to match the rest of my flatmates ! But this was more lies , the only way the room would ever cost £100 is when a replacement tenant takes the room over , again , not sure how that’s fair despite having verbal and email confirmations of the change ... Managed to get over all this however and a week later changed university and no longer required the room , understandably in contract I still had to pay for the room , however I was assured at check out both the company and myself could look for replacement tennant , so therefore was shocked to find out that even though online it said all the rooms in my accomodation were sold out , mine wasn’t ... their reply when I called to ask if my room had been sold was simply told “no we are waiting on the name of your replacement tenant that you told us on checkout that you had” no other way to describe it than pure stalling tactics , in my mind they were trying to sell rooms that hadn’t been sold yet before they reallocated mine which wasn’t what I was told would be the case at checkout .weeks went on and I eventually found a replacement tenant , NOT unite , it took from Oct 12 - 25 to get the correct paperwork sent to the new tenant due to the dispute about weekly payments she was sent incorrect information on 3 occasions and any time I spoke to unite myself they said it was her fault as she hadn’t confirmed her guarantor (she had , this is just proof of more stalling tactics from unite) my replacement tenant moved in on the 25th and it’s now November 8th and I’m STILL waiting on an £800 refund despite an email on October 25th stating it would be in my account within 10 days ie: today(Thursday 8th) Called unite on monday 5th to check payment would arrive in my account today to find out they hadn’t even began to process the payment and money will now not be in my account till November 19th ... shocking company with sub par rooms , shocking customer service (been on hold for ridiculous amounts of time at one occasion an hour before speaking to anybody) still can’t get a straight answer from anybody will be lucky to see this money back in my account . To anyone mad enough to take out a contract with them , my only advice to you is to get EVERYTHING in writing , too many times I was lulled into a false sense of security over the phone to later find out I had been lied to and had no way to prove it , email everything !!!

Update: money was returned late November
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending