The Student Room Group

Cancelling Student Accommodation

I applied for my student accomodation through my university but now I want to cancel it, can I cancel it and have no repercussions or would I still need to find a tenant to replace me?
Reply 1
It would depend on your contract and how long ago you accepted the offer, so you'll need to check that since it varies by uni and accommodation.
Original post by Anonymous
I applied for my student accomodation through my university but now I want to cancel it, can I cancel it and have no repercussions or would I still need to find a tenant to replace me?

What does your tenancy agreement say about cancelling? Most accommodation will require you to find a replacement tenant to get out of the tenancy.

Its very likely that the contract would require you to find a replacement tenant
Reply 4
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Its very likely that the contract would require you to find a replacement tenant

Yh I need to find a tenant, do you happen to know how long it takes? Because the longer I'm looking for one, the more money that I'm pretty much spending for no reason.
Yh I need to find a tenant, do you happen to know how long it takes? Because the longer I'm looking for one, the more money that I'm pretty much spending for no reason.

If your accommodation is already in demand, it could be a matter of days. When I've had to find a replacement tenant in the past, it took just over 2 weeks, and that was right at the beginning of Semester 1. The longer you leave it, the likelihood is that most people will already be sorted accommodation-wise.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If your accommodation is already in demand, it could be a matter of days. When I've had to find a replacement tenant in the past, it took just over 2 weeks, and that was right at the beginning of Semester 1. The longer you leave it, the likelihood is that most people will already be sorted accommodation-wise.

Oh ok I think I should be fine, I've started to look for a tenant for a few days now. Although I still haven't found one, I've had someone people that were interested but I didn't know how long it would actually take. The only problem is, is for my contract it's split into 3 payments throughout the year and I don't know how to advertise that and also one of the payments is coming up, which pays for the accommodation from September to January and the payment is like 2.5k. Is there a way I can get out of this payment and only pay for the nights where the room is under my name. Because so far, since the start of the contract for my room, from September 11th to now, I should only pay £360.
Oh ok I think I should be fine, I've started to look for a tenant for a few days now. Although I still haven't found one, I've had someone people that were interested but I didn't know how long it would actually take. The only problem is, is for my contract it's split into 3 payments throughout the year and I don't know how to advertise that and also one of the payments is coming up, which pays for the accommodation from September to January and the payment is like 2.5k. Is there a way I can get out of this payment and only pay for the nights where the room is under my name. Because so far, since the start of the contract for my room, from September 11th to now, I should only pay £360.

It's likely you may have to pay that upcoming instalment and then request a refund (minus the days you lived there). Either that, or work out a payment plan with your accommodation so you pay less more frequently.
Hi! I'm looking for accommodation in London and I will be happy to take over your tenancy. May I know which university you're in?
Reply 9
It's likely you may have to pay that upcoming instalment and then request a refund (minus the days you lived there). Either that, or work out a payment plan with your accommodation so you pay less more frequently.

Yh I guess I'll have to do that. Since my accommodation is on campus, do you know if it is only students of Aston I can only find to replace me, because I'm finding it really hard to find someone and the I just want to get it out of the way asap before I don't want to have to keep thinking about it while I'm transferring. Do you happen to have any tips by any chance?
Original post by Hui Xin Tan
Hi! I'm looking for accommodation in London and I will be happy to take over your tenancy. May I know which university you're in?

Hi, I'm really sorry but the accomodation is located at Aston University which is in Birmingham.
Yh I guess I'll have to do that. Since my accommodation is on campus, do you know if it is only students of Aston I can only find to replace me, because I'm finding it really hard to find someone and the I just want to get it out of the way asap before I don't want to have to keep thinking about it while I'm transferring. Do you happen to have any tips by any chance?

Is the accommodation owned by the uni? If so, it will only be for Aston students. If it is owned by a private company like iQ, Unite, Fresh Student Living etc., then anyone from any university can live there. I recommend posting on uni Facebook groups, SpareRoom, GumTree etc.
Is the accommodation owned by the uni? If so, it will only be for Aston students. If it is owned by a private company like iQ, Unite, Fresh Student Living etc., then anyone from any university can live there. I recommend posting on uni Facebook groups, SpareRoom, GumTree etc.

Yh it's owned by Unite but it's so hard finding someone. The only people I'm finding are non-students. And yh I've advertised it on Facebook and Spareroom, just no luck finding anyone yet.

Hi Hui I'm thinking of moving out of my room which is a London private halls if you're still looking for a place? It's a premium range 2 en suite at £180 per week. - https://www.unitestudents.com/london/north-lodge

Located right next to Tottenham Hale tube and over ground station, about 20 mins into central London. It's nice and quiet and ideal for internationals or postgrads.

Let me know if you want any more info :smile:
Hey I have a place in Stratford 10 mins away from the tube and 15 mins into central london lmk if u need any more info
Hey I live in Stratford one it’s a unite students accommodation planning on moving out so lmk if u are interested.
Reply 16

Hi . do you still need a student accomodation ? I have one at Felda House Wembley for 44 weeks, en suite at 237 GBP pw from September 16th 2023.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending