The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge is full of socially ******ed people who hate clubbing. I met more teatotallers there in a year than in the rest of my life put together
Reply 81
NeverMindThat
Cambridge is full of socially ******ed people who hate clubbing. I met more teatotallers there in a year than in the rest of my life put together

Oh good.
Because I've met more alcoholics and club-obsessed druggies here than I have in the rest of my life put together. :rolleyes:
Perhaps we should swap friends.

(NB: What I'm saying is...there are all types. That's sort of the point.)
Reply 82
epitome
Oh good.
Because I've met more alcoholics and club-obsessed druggies here than I have in the rest of my life put together.

Land Economists again?
I liked both for different reasons, but I found that I felt more at home in Cambridge and my gut feeling was that Cambridge was the way to go :biggrin:
Reply 84
HCD
Land Economists again?

Nah: English students y'eejit. :p:
Reply 85
Angelil
People who spell definitely as 'definately' should choose neither

My God, is that how you spell 'definately'? I'm going to have to re-think my life now...

anyway, for fear of being attacked as a traitor, I think Oxford is the nicer city; sligthly bigger, more vibrant, architecturely stunning etc; I've only been round cambridge on a few occassions and already feel like I know the place; it's a bit claustrophobic. On the other hand, my course is definately better at Cambridge, and I think I prefer it as a university
Reply 86
Galatea
My God, is that how you spell 'definately'? I'm going to have to re-think my life now...

Galatea
my course is definately better at Cambridge

*headdesk*

Definitely. Definitely. As in "finite". Finitely. Definitely. :wink:
epitome
*headdesk*

Definitely. Definitely. As in "finite". Finitely. Definitely. :wink:

I have to point out that it took me until Year 8 to learn to spell 'definitely' properly. I was either linguistically challenged, or... no, that was it. It was just one of those irritating words that I always got wrong.

Um, I prefer Cambridge. I've said that, but just to keep this on topic a bit. :biggrin:
Reply 88
hannabee
I have to point out that it took me until Year 8 to learn to spell 'definitely' properly. I was either linguistically challenged, or... no, that was it. It was just one of those irritating words that I always got wrong.

One of my Engling friends STILL gets it wrong. Drives me nuts. Admittedly, she may be dyslexic, but that's no excuse dammit! :wink:
epitome
One of my Engling friends STILL gets it wrong. Drives me nuts. Admittedly, she may be dyslexic, but that's no excuse dammit! :wink:

Studying english at Cambridge with you, and still can't spell? :p:
Reply 90
Shrayans
Studying english at Cambridge with you, and still can't spell?

Theoretically, she knows how to spell it (I think); she just doesn't seem to be able to write it down.

And there are quite a lot of people who can't spell particularly well. Some are just lazy/stupid (like me!), and others have some variety of learning difficulty or dyslexia. Of our original group of 7, two have a recognised difficulty with words. Go figure...!
epitome
Theoretically, she knows how to spell it (I think); she just doesn't seem to be able to write it down.

And there are quite a lot of people who can't spell particularly well. Some are just lazy/stupid (like me!), and others have some variety of learning difficulty or dyslexia. Of our original group of 7, two have a recognised difficulty with words. Go figure...!

I was almost dyslexic. Which I realise doesn't count, but I can still use it as an excuse on days when I'm being particularly slow :wink:
epitome

Wow, that is interesting. Nice to see Cambridge do take students with learning difficulties and especially for such a course where spelling should be an important factor :p:

Obviously all Land Economists have some sort of difficulty... lol... where is HCD!! :rofl:
Reply 93
To be fair, most of the time it's impossible to tell. I know someone who had absolutely no idea how to use punctuation (seriously, has never been taught, completely guesses where to put full stops, commas, semi-colons etc, doesn't even know how apostrophes work). But all of their written work is typed, so there's no way to tell (apart from exams, obviously, and I think they show leniency in A Level exams for that).
Reply 94
epitome
*headdesk*

ah dammit; it's a habit that's going to take a long time to cure I'm afraid; I've just always been spelling it 'definately', and no-one's ever corrected me. I suppose it goes to show that Cambridge doesn't just admit geniuses...

Cambridge FTW!
Reply 96
hannabee
I was almost dyslexic. Which I realise doesn't count, but I can still use it as an excuse on days when I'm being particularly slow

I have no idea what past-tense-almost-dyslexic means! Is that like second-cousin-twice-removed-three-times-displaced-and-slightly-furry? :p:

Shrayans
Wow, that is interesting. Nice to see Cambridge do take students with learning difficulties and especially for such a course where spelling should be an important factor

Obviously all Land Economists have some sort of difficulty... lol... where is HCD!! Wow, that is interesting. Nice to see Cambridge do take students with learning difficulties and especially for such a course where spelling should be an important factor

Obviously all Land Economists have some sort of difficulty... lol... where is HCD!!

Oh my good God I wish you two would shut up about LE! Get a life!

Of course Cam takes people with learning difficulties (though they might not know it at point of entry -- lots of people are diagnosed with it once at university): dyslexia doesn't stop people from being good at stuff. And, as CamRob indicates, you can get away with quite a lot for quite a long time without anyone really noticing. *shrugs* There's plenty of help available, too, if it's required.
Reply 97
Galatea
ah dammit; it's a habit that's going to take a long time to cure I'm afraid; I've just always been spelling it 'definately', and no-one's ever corrected me. I suppose it goes to show that Cambridge doesn't just admit geniuses...

If you can spell "finite", or "infinite", then you can spell definitely spell "definitely", definitely. :wink:

Go practice now. :p:

Going back to the nightlife thing, I think it depends what you're used to. I come from a town with limited nightlife, but I actually quite like that now I'm at uni. It's nice to come back and know you'll bump into people from school wherever you go. Likewise, I quite like in Cambridge how due to the relatively few nightclubs, you're bound to bump into people you know. At times I think I'd like a bit more variety, but it's never really been an issue.

Before applying I'd been to Oxford for a few gigs (never looked around the colleges or anything) and liked it. I had never been to Cambridge but chose it over Oxford as it offered single honours Philosophy. I think Cambridge is the prettier city but I quite like the feel of Oxford as well.
How can you be "almost dyslexic"? Is it like being a bit pregnant? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending