The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd probably find a decent state school or send them to summerhill.
Reply 2
Id send them to a state school.
Reply 3
I'd enter them for their 11+ to get them into a grammar school if possible but if they can't then I'd send them to an ordinary secondary school. I wouldn't send them to a private school.
private all the way unless they get into a good grammar school. And with private im going to try and mak sure its a good private school aswell, and not just a lame ass one.
Reply 5
A Steiner school.
Belle-x
I'd enter them for their 11+ to get them into a grammar school if possible but if they can't then I'd send them to an ordinary secondary school. I wouldn't send them to a private school.

yeah, same.
Reply 7
It really depends. If there was the option of a good state school then that would be it. If there was not this option then a private school. This last bit sounds really snobby, but I would want the best for my kids...
Reply 8
11+ doesn't exist in Yorkshire..
Reply 9
Belle-x

What, the 11+ is long dead... People don't do it anymore.
I'm only 22 years old. However, i can say with complete certainty that i would consider it doing my child a disservice to send him anywhere, but anywhere but an independent institution.

I would quite like one of three: Brighton College. Harrow School. Eton.

And, quite frankly, i wouldn't trust the sort of people my beautiful son would mix with, sending him to a state school. There's so much violence going on these days; i would much rather him buggered in Boarding than pillaged in Portsmouth.
Reply 11
Try for grammar school, if not, then private.
Reply 12
Ideally a good private school.
Private school or grammar school. The best I can possibly get them regardless of what it does/doesn't cost. That's assuming I'm living in the UK when I have my kids(which I probably will be) I'll have to spend ages trying to figure out the intricicies of the educational system.
Reply 14
It depends. If the local state schools are rough with bad exam results, then I will pay for private, if I can afford it. If however the state schools are good, quiet or with no violence, then I would send them there. For example, my first high school had the overflow students from Leeds, so it was a bit rough, people took knives to school and the exam results were poor, while my second school, a rural state school, had great exam results, no bullying, no violence and no rough people. So if the local schools were like the first one, my kids would go private, but if they are like the second one, state school is fine.
id send them to a state school but make sure it was a pretty good one!
there's an 11+ at Ripon Grammar (in Yorkshire)
Reply 17
The_Goose
11+ doesn't exist in Yorkshire..

aye it does - you need it to get into Leeds Grammar school.
I've experienced going to a grammar school, a private school and a comprehensive school and to be honest, from personal experiences I did much better academically at a state school. To be honest though, at the end of the day its mostly down to the kid's own hard work..
Reply 19
.Ed.
What, the 11+ is long dead... People don't do it anymore.

:s-smilie: They do by me...?! Or some form of entrance exam anyway!

Latest

Trending

Trending