The Student Room Group

Personal statement query about PPE and European Studies

Hi

I was just wondering if anybody could give me advice about this little issue I've been thinking about.

At the moment I want to apply for PPE at Durham, Warwick and Oxford. But I also like the sound of such courses as "European Studies and Political Sciene" at UCL or European Studies with Political Science at Birmingham (backup). Would writing my personal statement to encompass all those courses lessen my chances of getting in?

Thnx in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Your best bet would be to write a PS that covers PPE but mentioning your particular interest in European perspectives. Check the course content for the PPE courses you are looking at and see what's included, but I can't imagine that any PPE course wouldn't cover Europe in some way.
Reply 2
epolano
Hi

I was just wondering if anybody could give me advice about this little issue I've been thinking about.

At the moment I want to apply for PPE at Durham, Warwick and Oxford. But I also like the sound of such courses as "European Studies and Political Sciene" at UCL or European Studies with Political Science at Birmingham (backup). Would writing my personal statement to encompass all those courses lessen my chances of getting in?

Thnx in advance :smile:

I got an offer for ESPS at UCL and I never mentioned anything specifically related to Europe - you get the chance to do if you are to be invited for interview. Can't comment on the other unis though - because I switched from Philosophy to Politics I did not get the chance to apply for PPE @ Oxford.

Is ESPS your backup, or is Birmingham? Because ESPS is an AAA course (thus no good for an insurance) and pretty competitive (at interview I was told 500-600 applicants for 40 places).
Reply 3
no, no, UCL is not my backup :P.

I'd have to be a really stuck up prick to have UCL as my backup. Birmingham is currently my backup but more for a lack of research and the ESPS course at Birmingham just had low requirements (32 or 33 points for IB).

Thnx for the advice, NikkO and Minerva.

If PPE and/or ESPS are my main interests what other universites should i consider? (I believe that 38-42 points is the range I'll find myself in for IB points).
Reply 4
--
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending