The Student Room Group

Does anyone know if these unis care about the personal statement?

I am stressing out wayyyy too much about my personal statement. I have heard that some unis have flat out stated that they do not care about personal statements such as Bristol but I can't find anything on the unis that I am applying to. They are:
Manchester
Leeds
Sheffield
Warwick
York

I am really worried about it. I have good grades, good GCSE's and will have good teacher references. I am just worried about the personal statement because that is the thing that will bring me down if anything. I think its decent but im still stressed. Does anyone know if any of these unis have explicitly said that they do/do not care about the statement. Thanks!
Just to add, I am applying for PPE
To be honest it depends more on the competitiveness of the specific course, rather than a policy for the uni as a whole.

I would say that PPE at most unis is not the most competitive, although it’s nearer the top end than things like languages and History etc.

Out of your choices, Warwick are the most likely to review it, but by and large your grades are going to be the biggest deciding factor.
wdym you've 'heard' some unis flat out say they don't care about the personal statement. just asking because unless it is written on the university's website, which i highly doubt it is, it's only hearsay and isn't evidence of anything. it's just one person's personal opinion.

yes, your ps matters for all the universities you've listed. why, because everyone applying to the uni will have the same grades;. applicants will all look pretty much the same in this regard; the ps then separates the wheat from the chaff, ie why should the uni choose you and not the other applicant who also has AAA? i promise it won't come down to a random draw from the hat, ykwim

that being said you probably are putting too much pressure on yourself. write what comes naturally. don't try to be 'impressive' whatever that means. surely you know in your heart what inspires you and why you are qualified to study the degree?
Original post by Genesiss
wdym you've 'heard' some unis flat out say they don't care about the personal statement. just asking because unless it is written on the university's website, which i highly doubt it is, it's only hearsay and isn't evidence of anything. it's just one person's personal opinion.

yes, your ps matters for all the universities you've listed. why, because everyone applying to the uni will have the same grades;. applicants will all look pretty much the same in this regard; the ps then separates the wheat from the chaff, ie why should the uni choose you and not the other applicant who also has AAA? i promise it won't come down to a random draw from the hat, ykwim

that being said you probably are putting too much pressure on yourself. write what comes naturally. don't try to be 'impressive' whatever that means. surely you know in your heart what inspires you and why you are qualified to study the degree?

Hi, I work in admissions. Plenty of our courses don’t use the PS at all in our selection process. It’s a bit more involved than pulling names out of a hat mind :smile:
Original post by AishaAisha1234
I am stressing out wayyyy too much about my personal statement. I have heard that some unis have flat out stated that they do not care about personal statements such as Bristol but I can't find anything on the unis that I am applying to. They are:
Manchester
Leeds
Sheffield
Warwick
York

I am really worried about it. I have good grades, good GCSE's and will have good teacher references. I am just worried about the personal statement because that is the thing that will bring me down if anything. I think its decent but im still stressed. Does anyone know if any of these unis have explicitly said that they do/do not care about the statement. Thanks!

Hi @AishaAisha1234,

I remember being in your position a few years ago - applying to uni can be really daunting but all you can do is try your best and be yourself!

The aim of the personal statement isn't to catch you out or bring your application down, it's just a great way for the admissions team to get to know you beyond your grades. It's a chance to show your passion for your subject and gives you a chance to explain why you want to study it at university, which your grades alone won't show.

We've got some great tips on writing your personal statement that might be useful :smile:

Hope this helps!

Hazel
Reply 5
Original post by AishaAisha1234
Manchester
Leeds
Sheffield
Warwick
York

hey! just wanted to check in, as I applied to Sheffield and York for PPE too and firmed Sheffield :smile: how did your PS go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending