The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE PPE

Hey guys,
I'm applying for PPE and really wanna go to LSE so I'm trying to tailor my ps so that it is a competitive application to lse. I've heard that you need your ps to be very mathsy for any econ related course at lse. I thought that I could get away with around 3-4 sentences on maths for ppe, but apparently any course that requires A* in maths at lse, regardless of whether its pure econ or a joint maths course, you still need a very maths heavy ps (ppe is one of the only joint courses that requires A* in maths idk why necessarily since its not econ AND maths). Any thoughts on how true this is for a good lse ppe ps? If so, how do you think I should link political science with the rigour of lse quantitative modules? Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys,
I'm applying for PPE and really wanna go to LSE so I'm trying to tailor my ps so that it is a competitive application to lse. I've heard that you need your ps to be very mathsy for any econ related course at lse. I thought that I could get away with around 3-4 sentences on maths for ppe, but apparently any course that requires A* in maths at lse, regardless of whether its pure econ or a joint maths course, you still need a very maths heavy ps (ppe is one of the only joint courses that requires A* in maths idk why necessarily since its not econ AND maths). Any thoughts on how true this is for a good lse ppe ps? If so, how do you think I should link political science with the rigour of lse quantitative modules? Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

any info is appreciated thankss
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hey, I'm a first year doing PPE at LSE.

I did not mention maths anywhere on my PS specifically, just the various books I read, essay competitions I did, etc., with a good balance between all 3 subjects. The first and second year politics modules in the course literally have 0 maths in them lol so I don't think your last point would be necessary.

I did do Further Maths which arguably showed my mathematical ability without having to put it in my statement, but many others didn't. Not sure where you heard that part about any course requiring the A* in Maths needing a lot of maths in the PS, it's just not true given the fact I got an offer lol.

I would say something which a lot of successful personal statements for PPE here have in common is a focus on policy, however that could be correlation rather than causation, and something you're likely to be interested in if you're applying to PPE in any case.

If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them.
Original post by Anonymous #2

I did not mention maths anywhere on my PS specifically, just the various books I read, essay competitions I did, etc., with a good balance between all 3 subjects. The first and second year politics modules in the course literally have 0 maths in them lol so I don't think your last point would be necessary.

I did do Further Maths which arguably showed my mathematical ability without having to put it in my statement, but many others didn't. Not sure where you heard that part about any course requiring the A* in Maths needing a lot of maths in the PS, it's just not true given the fact I got an offer lol.

I would say something which a lot of successful personal statements for PPE here have in common is a focus on policy, however that could be correlation rather than causation, and something you're likely to be interested in if you're applying to PPE in any case.

Did you take A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politics? What were your grades? 🙂
Reply 4

Hi, thank you so much for replying! 🙂 I dont't know how but somehow I missed the reply notif.

Thanks you so much, I think I may mention 3 lines on maths for my PS because I did this masterclass and it included a bit of econ as well, and I think it links the quant ability for social science application well.

Did you explicitly state PPE in your PS? My top three unis are PPE, but my lower courses are Economics and Politics, and Economics and International studies (because of lower grade requirements, higher acceptance rate). I just want to understand what was in common for most successful LSE PPE students- did stating PPE strengthen your application, is this what most did?

Also, would mentioning LSE be a good idea? For example, if I was talking about a lecture or a LSE talk I listened to, would it be worth saying it was at LSE? I thought this could be beneficial, but I might also apply UCL, I'm not sure if they'd like it very much, but surely if it's for a lecture they can't mind as it's just academics?

Also, the last policy point you mentioned- I have mentioned an econ comp I did, and I stated what policy I proposed. I did not go into much detail on how it would be implemented. I think it's hard for me to say how it works, as I would have to do alot of explaining, and I don't have the characters. Is one line on my proposed policy worth it? Or should I get rid of it and talk about policy in a different way? How do you suggest I could implement policy in my ps, is it also meant to be linked to philosophy and politics, or can I talk about more theoretical stuff for philosophy and politics? It would be great if you could give an idea on how to include policy in enough depth for a uni such as LSE.

Thank you so much, your above reply was really helpful, hope you can give me some guidance here! 🙂
Original post by thegeek888
Did you take A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politics? What were your grades? 🙂

sorry just saw this now. I took Maths, Further Maths, Economics and RS. 4x A* predicted, 10 9s at GCSE.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, thank you so much for replying! 🙂 I dont't know how but somehow I missed the reply notif.

Thanks you so much, I think I may mention 3 lines on maths for my PS because I did this masterclass and it included a bit of econ as well, and I think it links the quant ability for social science application well.

Did you explicitly state PPE in your PS? My top three unis are PPE, but my lower courses are Economics and Politics, and Economics and International studies (because of lower grade requirements, higher acceptance rate). I just want to understand what was in common for most successful LSE PPE students- did stating PPE strengthen your application, is this what most did?

Also, would mentioning LSE be a good idea? For example, if I was talking about a lecture or a LSE talk I listened to, would it be worth saying it was at LSE? I thought this could be beneficial, but I might also apply UCL, I'm not sure if they'd like it very much, but surely if it's for a lecture they can't mind as it's just academics?

Also, the last policy point you mentioned- I have mentioned an econ comp I did, and I stated what policy I proposed. I did not go into much detail on how it would be implemented. I think it's hard for me to say how it works, as I would have to do alot of explaining, and I don't have the characters. Is one line on my proposed policy worth it? Or should I get rid of it and talk about policy in a different way? How do you suggest I could implement policy in my ps, is it also meant to be linked to philosophy and politics, or can I talk about more theoretical stuff for philosophy and politics? It would be great if you could give an idea on how to include policy in enough depth for a uni such as LSE.

Thank you so much, your above reply was really helpful, hope you can give me some guidance here! 🙂

Sorry for late reply I don't go on here much anymore. You may have already submitted your PS at this point so sorry if this isn't useful anymore but it may still be reassuring.

I applied to PPE everywhere, so I explicitly mentioned PPE in the introduction and conclusion of my PS. However, I don't know if any others did, and I doubt doing it alone boosted my application in any way.

Mentioning LSE is perfectly fine as their public lectures are very good and popular; I wouldn't really expect any negatives from other unis regarding this.

Being concise is great, so it shouldn't be a problem. Policy is not that big of a deal to be honest it's just something I noticed a lot of statements had in common, however this seems more because it is a common interest of PPE applicants. If you were not particularly interested in it or your achievements lie elsewhere, that should not be an issue.

Best of luck!

What extracurriculars (volunteering, internships, competitions) did you do and how related were they to PPE? I'm studying Math, Business, Economics and Literature for my AS Levels and I plan on applying to LSE or UCL and I'm a little confused about the requirements and what grades I'll need to get. I got 3 9's, 5 8's and one 6 for my IGCSE's, does this limit my chance of being accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending